Sponsored

Cold start awful noise from engine / transmission- what is it??

dave91gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 1991 Mustang GT 2019 Expedition
Hello all.
I have heard of the 10R80 transmission whine. And my truck has that from what I can tell after it warms up. But when I cold start, there is a loud "whirring" noise that completely drowns out the regular engine noises. I left work and our security guard stopped me and told me my truck "sounded weird". I can only describe it as similar to the sound an alternator makes when the bearing is completely worn out. Truck is a 21 5.0 with 2,000 miles. I hate to go to the dealer over this as they forewarned me the trans is known to make noises when I bought it. After it warms up, you don't really notice the noise. Does this sound familiar to anyone else here?
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Hello all.
I have heard of the 10R80 transmission whine. And my truck has that from what I can tell after it warms up. But when I cold start, there is a loud "whirring" noise that completely drowns out the regular engine noises. I left work and our security guard stopped me and told me my truck "sounded weird". I can only describe it as similar to the sound an alternator makes when the bearing is completely worn out. Truck is a 21 5.0 with 2,000 miles. I hate to go to the dealer over this as they forewarned me the trans is known to make noises when I bought it. After it warms up, you don't really notice the noise. Does this sound familiar to anyone else here?
Hi there! Will you send a message with your VIN and dealership? I can take a look at things on my end.

Snippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I’m having the same exact issue on really cold mornings up north. Except mine is a 3.5 EcoBoost FX4. I thought it had to with the alternator too. Hopefully @Ford Motor Company can help.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’m having the same exact issue on really cold mornings up north. Except mine is a 3.5 EcoBoost FX4. I thought it had to with the alternator too. Hopefully @Ford Motor Company can help.
Hello, Snippy!
Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer.
I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this noise concern. Thanks!

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
I am getting the same thing in my truck.

Annoying and sounds awful.

I cannot hear the engine, I only hear a transmission whine.

Sponsored

hopcam

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat
I just picked up a 2022 Lariat with the 3.5 and have the same sound. Hopefully nothing serious…

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I am getting the same thing in my truck.

Annoying and sounds awful.

I cannot hear the engine, I only hear a transmission whine.
Hi there. Can you send us a DM with more information? I’ll see how I can assist on my end. Thanks!

DT400

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
79 Scout II, 90 Mustang gt, 95 F-150, 22 F-150
I had read in another post about cold start noises in the power boost that some Transmissions were sent from the factory with low transmission fluid levels and correcting that the noise went away. Have any of you check your transmission fluid level yet?
Curious what temperature you guys are calling cold, the coldest I've started my '22 3.5 EcoBoost in was about 20 degrees Fahrenheit and there's no noise.

Darrell

Keith_85

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150, 2019 expedition max
I have the same complaint. Not normal trans whine in the 10 speed, when started after a cold sit, much louder and goes away when normal op temp reached. Dont remember on test drive or taking home. Has 5000 miles now, seeming to get worse. Left at dealer for a week, with the "we hear nothing" response. Suggestions?

Sponsored

Lowhiker

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 powerboost
Occupation
Healthcare
I have just over 1000 miles on my F-150 powerboost and have the same noise issue intermittently on cold mornings that everyone on this string is reporting. Called the dealership and they are willing to completely disassemble this brand new truck to fix a known production problem. Requires leaving truck at dealership for a week. I did not purchase a new vehicle, pay the amount I did all to have it disassembled at the dealership weeks after driving it home. I want the new truck I paid for THAT WORKS!!!
I’ve been completely swindled by Ford

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
It appears that the fill procedure for the 10R80 transmission as installed on a PowerBoost is different than non-hybrids. If it isn't done properly the transmission ends up low by about 1 & 1/2 qts. Getting the level correct fixes at least some of the problems. It did mine. I am still awaiting Ford calling for an inspection of the transmission for evidence of damage.

BigPaulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
US Army (Ret)/GS Civilian
I get that after driving home and sitting at my community mailbox. Whirring whine sound from the transmission. 4K miles on the truck so far.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I get that after driving home and sitting at my community mailbox. Whirring whine sound from the transmission. 4K miles on the truck so far.
Hi there! Can you send us a PM with your VIN and Ford dealership information? I’d be happy to look into this F-150 concern on my end.

Tyson1969

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT FX4 5.0L
Occupation
Vice President - Hyster/Yale Forklifts
I have just over 1000 miles on my F-150 powerboost and have the same noise issue intermittently on cold mornings that everyone on this string is reporting. Called the dealership and they are willing to completely disassemble this brand new truck to fix a known production problem. Requires leaving truck at dealership for a week. I did not purchase a new vehicle, pay the amount I did all to have it disassembled at the dealership weeks after driving it home. I want the new truck I paid for THAT WORKS!!!
I’ve been completely swindled by Ford
agree. My 2022 whines and no one told me about that when I was looking into buying one. I should have listened to my Dodge RAM friends.
Sponsored