Coaching on removing decals, please...

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
I genuinely enjoy looking at our Lariat PB with its classy appearance...but the 'Sport 4x4' decals strike me as cheesy.

For those of you who have removed factory-added decals, is it simply a matter of careful use of a heat gun on 'low' and a plastic scraper of some kind? Any tricks and/or cautions that you can add would be welcome. FWIW the truck was built the end of May so the decals are about 2 months old. Thanks, everyone.

Jack

Ford F-150 Coaching on removing decals, please... IMG_3019.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
You only need the heat gun if it's cool out. On a warm day you should be able to peel it. If there is some sticky residue then you can use something like Goo Gone, just be sure to wax the area you removed it from.

Bocephus

First Name
Bocephus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A 3.3L
Occupation
Entertainer
I used a heat gun to soften the decal and it came off easily leaving no residue. No need for excessive amount of heat. Takes about 1 minute per side.

Last edited:

dweller

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Soon maybe 2021 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB 4x4 Lead Foot
Occupation
Army
Is that lead foot or carbonized grey?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the encouraging comments, everyone. Jonathan, it's carbonized grey....or actually, about 4 or 5 different colors depending on the light. Very pleased with it.

Jack

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
I removed it with my finger, no heat gun or anything. Just carefully use your finger nail to get a corner started and the rest comes off easily. Its a decal, shouldn't be much to it, if it was an emblem then I would use heat but a decal shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

SILVERBULLET69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YOUR GLOVE BOX LIGHT IS ON
Had dealer do it before I signed on the dotted. They said the earlier the better

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think you (or your dealer) was right, Chris. To close out my side of this thread, I just lifted the stickers off with a fingernail; it was that easy. Truck had seen maybe a month outside, before I got and garaged it. Easy peasy.

Jack

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2019 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Instructional Designer
I have done this to my last three trucks.

Don't get a hair dryer or heat gun closer than 6"-8" from the paint for more than a second or two. I recommend the natural method described by many, set your truck in the sun and then use your fingernail to start peeling and then apply constant pressure as you pull along the truck (180 degrees. WD40, Goo Gone, etc. will all take off any residue.

Arrived at Dealer
Ford F-150 Coaching on removing decals, please... 2021 Ford F150 Delivered 3

10 Days Later
Ford F-150 Coaching on removing decals, please... 2021 F150 Truxedo X15 Pro Drivers 1 - 21_05 29

Trucky McTruckface

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F-150 XLT Supercab.
Ford needs to stop putting these silly hot wheels stickers on their trucks... You want to advertise you have a $900 FX4 package on a $70,000 truck? Not my thing. They come of right away! Looks better blank or with something personalized there... My 2 cents. Anyway, i used a heat gun then just some cleaner. Was super easy and quick.

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Explorer, 2021 VW ID.4, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
I genuinely enjoy looking at our Lariat PB with its classy appearance...but the 'Sport 4x4' decals strike me as cheesy.

For those of you who have removed factory-added decals, is it simply a matter of careful use of a heat gun on 'low' and a plastic scraper of some kind? Any tricks and/or cautions that you can add would be welcome. FWIW the truck was built the end of May so the decals are about 2 months old. Thanks, everyone.

Jack

IMG_3019.JPG
I have the same color Lariat Powerboost with the same sticker. Used my heat gun and peeled it off. Had 3M Adhesive remover ready but literally didn't leave anything behind. Came off simply.

Ford F-150 Coaching on removing decals, please... 1627512531496

JeffC57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F-150 Lariat Sport 4x4 SCab, '18 Linc MKZ Hyb
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I made the dealer take the FX-4 stickers off my Lariat yesterday before I drove it off the lot. It was warm and sunny and the mechanic just pulled them off. I did the same thing to my ‘03 F-150 Sport. I remember then the dealer kind of balked at it but I insisted that it be done. I think removing them makes your truck age more gracefully. They seem to look dated or just crappy as the years pass. Notice that my avatar has them electronically removed ?
Sponsored