Clunk when engine kicks in

keithw1975

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 302A, 2023 Explorer ST, 1999 Ram 3500
Can drivetrain updates be pushed out over the air?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kefoster2

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Can drivetrain updates be pushed out over the air?
I do not know. Depends on what the transmission needs. Since there are so many variables to do with the transmission it would be better looked at first. I think if they get enough info from failures that relate to a module setting then they might be able.

Sponsored

hevnbnd

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
To be more specific mine occurs when slowly accelerating from a stop on electric. The truck skips 2nd gear and goes straight from 1st to 3rd. I have been told that this is a fuel saving feature.

superwaddle

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT powerboost
Occupation
Pilot
Having this exact issue...1600 miles, it’s been doing it since 700 when I bought it. Transmission is really jumpy between 1st and 3rd in normal and eco modes. Whenever the engine kicks on and takes over for the hybrid motor, it sort of jolts. Sometimes it is smooth, but most of the time it is embarrassing because it feels like I’m temporarily hammering the gas pedal. Sport mode is much smoother, of course.

Smash

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Limited Powerboost
Occupation
Power Plant Operator
Sounds like you guys are driving my truck around! I’ve been having these same issues. I don’t know much about how these transmissions actually work but it seems odd that so many trucks would have some component fail in a way that would cause these same symptoms. It seems more likely that either something was designed poorly or that there are issues with the computer programming. And seeing how sometimes I do get a smooth shift from 1st to 3rd and that shifts from 2nd to 3rd are smooth, I lean towards it not being a design or manufacturing issue.

Just my two cents; really hope that someone figures this thing out.

OP
OP
Kefoster2

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Having this exact issue...1600 miles, it’s been doing it since 700 when I bought it. Transmission is really jumpy between 1st and 3rd in normal and eco modes. Whenever the engine kicks on and takes over for the hybrid motor, it sort of jolts. Sometimes it is smooth, but most of the time it is embarrassing because it feels like I’m temporarily hammering the gas pedal. Sport mode is much smoother, of course.
My dealer had my truck for a week for this issue and the windshield and finally got the transmission issue fixed. they had to go in and reprogram of the transmission essentially. Before they did that I found out it was much smoother in the sport mode.

superwaddle

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT powerboost
Occupation
Pilot
My dealer had my truck for a week for this issue and the windshield and finally got the transmission issue fixed. they had to go in and reprogram of the transmission essentially. Before they did that I found out it was much smoother in the sport mode.
What is the windshield issue you speak of? Also, do you have more details on the reprogramming? Did it fix it entirely? Was it purely a software fix? There are a TON of folks with 2021 PB with this issue...you may be the first I’ve seen to get it fixed. What should I be asking my dealer to do when I bring it in?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kefoster2

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
What is the windshield issue you speak of? Also, do you have more details on the reprogramming? Did it fix it entirely? Was it purely a software fix? There are a TON of folks with 2021 PB with this issue...you may be the first I’ve seen to get it fixed. What should I be asking my dealer to do when I bring it in?
The windshield issue is a recall for trucks built between Oct and Jan if I remember. Check your Ford App to see if your truck needs it. The reprogramming of the transmission fixed it for now. Ford says that the new 10 spd transmission takes up to 1,000 miles for transmission to learn your driving habits. go figure. When you take it to the dealer have them verify the skipping and clunking issue. They should be able to call Ford and see what my dealer or any others have gone through to fix the issue. There is a possibility of a specific internal issue but has to be verified.

Longhorngary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Ford F150 302A soon to be 2021 F150 KR PB
My dealer ended up doing some transmission reprogramming to get mine to settle down.
Good to know I have an appointment in a few weeks to get mine looked at. Dealership is currently really backed up.