Sponsored

Clunk Coming to a Stop in 4A

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCREW Lariat 4WD
I’m getting a clunk when coming to a stop. It is both audible and can be felt. Feels like tranny but it only happens when in 4A. No clunk in 2wd. Has anyone experienced this? My Powerboost has about 27k miles. I didn’t notice it previously but don’t typically drive in 4A. Now that it’s been snowing a lot I’m using 4A frequently and the issue is pretty consistent so should be able to replicate for dealer.
Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I’m getting a clunk when coming to a stop. It is both audible and can be felt. Feels like tranny but it only happens when in 4A. No clunk in 2wd. Has anyone experienced this? My Powerboost has about 27k miles. I didn’t notice it previously but don’t typically drive in 4A. Now that it’s been snowing a lot I’m using 4A frequently and the issue is pretty consistent so should be able to replicate for dealer.
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.

SILVERBULLET69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YOUR GLOVE BOX LIGHT IS ON
MINE CLUNKS EVERYTIME I PULL INTO THE CUL DE SAC AND WHIP AROUND AND BACK INTO THE DRIVEWAY IN 4A. USUALLY RIGHT WHEN I SLOW DOWN W THE WHEELS TURNED, IN DRIVE. I FIGURE ITS JUST A 4W HOP LIKE A TYPICAL 4WD ON DRY PAVEMENT.

OP
OP
Waveslider

Waveslider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCREW Lariat 4WD
MINE CLUNKS EVERYTIME I PULL INTO THE CUL DE SAC AND WHIP AROUND AND BACK INTO THE DRIVEWAY IN 4A. USUALLY RIGHT WHEN I SLOW DOWN W THE WHEELS TURNED, IN DRIVE. I FIGURE ITS JUST A 4W HOP LIKE A TYPICAL 4WD ON DRY PAVEMENT.
Ya this is different than a typical 4x hop when wheels are turned. Happens with wheels straight.

Raptorbert

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Raptor
Occupation
Janitor
Any update to this? Noticed it today on my raptor in 4A.

Sponsored

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
I had a similar issue to what everyone is describing. The dealer replaced the drivers side IWE and that fixed the issue. It wasn’t fully engaging and the clunk was it occasionally slipping.

Last edited:

Raptorbert

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Raptor
Occupation
Janitor
I had a similar issue to what everyone is describing. The dealer replaced the drivers side IWE and that fixed the issue. It wasn’t fully engaging and the cluck was it occasionally slipping.
That’s odd. Mine didn’t do it at all since that one day. I’ll have to keep an ear on it but it’s not consistent right now

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
That’s odd. Mine didn’t do it at all since that one day. I’ll have to keep an ear on it but it’s not consistent right now
It was inconsistent for me as well, but seemed to slowly get more common overtime. Slow turns, like parking or pulling in the driveway and acceleration is where I would get it most frequently, but occasionally breaking as well. Always felt like it was coming from the middle of the truck, transfer case or transmission. It could be felt and heard, but I never had any performance issues with the 4WD. I wouldn’t have guessed the IWE. Dealer found it right away.

In your case it might have just been a one off.

Raptorbert

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21’ Raptor
Occupation
Janitor
It was inconsistent for me as well, but seemed to slowly get more common overtime. Slow turns, like parking or pulling in the driveway and acceleration is where I would get it most frequently, but occasionally breaking as well. Always felt like it was coming from the middle of the truck, transfer case or transmission. It could be felt and heard, but I never had any performance issues with the 4WD. I wouldn’t have guessed the IWE. Dealer found it right away.

In your case it might have just been a one off.
I’ll certainly listen for it from now on. Got to love these new trucks

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The OP has a Powerboost.
It must be a 2021 if it has an IWE, since Ford finally just removed IWEs from 4A 2022 Powerboosts.

I personally welcomed the delete. The only delete that would make me smile. :)
Sponsored