Sponsored

Close key fob proximity to unlock tailgate?

volvofan94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4 3.5L EcoBoost
Hi All,

Here's the scenario, my truck is locked and I want to open the tailgate (which is also locked). I have the key fob on me, approach the truck and press the tailgate release button, nothing happens. In order to unlock the tailgate I have to unlock the truck first then open the tailgate. Today I found if I hold the key fob close (less than 1 ft. away) to the tailgate's release button the tailgate opens with the truck doors locked, but as soon as place the key in my pocket or move it out of range the release button won't work if the truck is locked.

Strangely enough the truck does "sense" the key fob is nearby because the outside courtesy lamps turn on while walking towards the tailgate. Also pressing the open tailgate button twice on the key fob releases it at any reasonable distance from the truck. Yes, the truck is locked when the tailgate release button is pressed twice on the key fob.

I want to have this checked at my dealer, but wanted to run the scenario by other Gen14 owners to see if you've experienced a similar issue. I could have sworn this worked with the key further away when I purchased my truck new. Not sure if an applied OTA update affected the range?

My truck is a 2021 XLT 302a with the Pro Tailgate option.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Ford4Ever

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Taurus SEL AWD, 21 F150 Lariat 502a
As far as I know, there is no sensor in the tailgate to tell the system to unlock unlike the driver / passenger doors when you grab them.

Handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang
Hi All,

Here's the scenario, my truck is locked and I want to open the tailgate (which is also locked). I have the key fob on me, approach the truck and press the tailgate release button, nothing happens. In order to unlock the tailgate I have to unlock the truck first then open the tailgate. Today I found if I hold the key fob close (less than 1 ft. away) to the tailgate's release button the tailgate opens with the truck doors locked, but as soon as place the key in my pocket or move it out of range the release button won't work if the truck is locked.

Strangely enough the truck does "sense" the key fob is nearby because the outside courtesy lamps turn on while walking towards the tailgate. Also pressing the open tailgate button twice on the key fob releases it at any reasonable distance from the truck. Yes, the truck is locked when the tailgate release button is pressed twice on the key fob.

I want to have this checked at my dealer, but wanted to run the scenario by other Gen14 owners to see if you've experienced a similar issue. I could have sworn this worked with the key further away when I purchased my truck new. Not sure if an applied OTA update affected the range?

My truck is a 2021 XLT 302a with the Pro Tailgate option.

Thanks!
Here’s a thread with similar issues with the power tailgate. It does seem to have a quirkiness to the operation

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/power-tailgate-won’t-open-beeps-3x.6520/

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I have always thought you had to tap the tailgate fob button twice to open the tailgate.
There are additional threads regarding the subject and it appears that there is not uniformity amongst our trucks because of various updates to modules onboard.

Or put another way, Ford has altered the programming as time goes on.

The dealership, in my opinion, is the last likely place that I would turn to unless something obvious was broken and needed warranty replacement. Troubleshooting is not in their wheelhouse.

towpro

First Name
will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat
I have always thought you had to tap the tailgate fob button twice to open the tailgate.

Or put another way, Ford has altered the programming as time goes on.
and I think with this tailgate opening recall, it will change again :(.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
There is a passive entry antenna in the tailgate. there are three antenna. One in console under cup holder, one on back wall next to tcu and one next to the tailgate handle.

ksimon123451

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat
I walk up to my locked truck with mirrors folded in, as I walk up to the tailgate my welcome lights come on. I then push the button on the tailgate it flashes the parking light and my mirrors fold out but the tailgate does not open. I then push the tailgate button again within a few seconds the tailgate opens but the truck doors are still locked. When I close the tailgate the truck locks the tailgate and folds the mirrors back in. This is how my trucks tailgate works.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Mine has always opened the tailgate if my truck is locked by keys are in my pocket. My tailgate isn’t powered. But I just hit the tailgate release and the blinker flashes like I grabbed a door handle. Doors stay locked and the tailgate drops

OP
OP

volvofan94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks all for the replies! Yea, seems like we do have different experiences when opening the tailgate when the doors are locked. I haven't noticed if the position lights flash when the tailgate is released on my truck with the doors locked, but it's interesting it detects the key when it's close to the truck (ie the outside courtesy lights come on). I'll do some more testing to see if I can find a trend.

The tailgate on my truck isn't powered, just releases. I do have a soft tonneau cover on top of the bed, not sure if that makes a difference.

Maybe I'll hold off on reporting it to the dealer until we get more details on the tailgate recall. At this point I heard it's only performed if the tailgate opens unexpectedly (which hasn't happened to me...yet!).

Tmob78

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150, 21 F450
Thanks all for the replies! Yea, seems like we do have different experiences when opening the tailgate when the doors are locked. I haven't noticed if the position lights flash when the tailgate is released on my truck with the doors locked, but it's interesting it detects the key when it's close to the truck (ie the outside courtesy lights come on). I'll do some more testing to see if I can find a trend.

The tailgate on my truck isn't powered, just releases. I do have a soft tonneau cover on top of the bed, not sure if that makes a difference.

Maybe I'll hold off on reporting it to the dealer until we get more details on the tailgate recall. At this point I heard it's only performed if the tailgate opens unexpectedly (which hasn't happened to me...yet!).
Ford does not have a fix for this. I have had the same issue along with a few random electrical issues with the proximity unlock system and main display. I have had my truck at the dealer 8 times now for this and the other issues and they can't figure it out. They changed the tail gate actuator and all of the electrical harness in the tail gate but nothing has worked so far. I was just told by the dealer and by Ford customer service that there is nothing they can do about it and can just note that I am having issues.... Totally blow away by the dealer and Fords answer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

volvofan94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Good to know, thanks. Next time I bring the truck in, I'll report it then ask the dealer to put my truck on the list too. It's not a huge inconvenience for me to unlock the truck before the tailgate, but there are times it'd be nice if it worked.

gpbst3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
Just to eliminate possibilities try it with the tonneau cover folded back. Also try it with the other key fob and possibly with a new fob battery.

OP
OP

volvofan94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well, I took the truck to the dealer for this issue. Recently I rented a ‘21 Explorer Limited and the lift gate release worked every time with the key fob in my pocket and the doors were locked. Also the Explorer had more miles than my truck does. LOL.

So far I’m 2 visits to the dealer in: one visit to replace the antenna in the tailgate and next visit they’ll replace another module.

I’ll post back on progress when the part arrives and is installed.

Just to eliminate possibilities try it with the tonneau cover folded back. Also try it with the other key fob and possibly with a new fob battery.
Appreciate the suggestion. Gave it a try, but no improvement, unfortunately.

newdeal99

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 on order
Does it depends on the weather? My truck won’t start with the key in my pocket if it’s hot out unless I put the key into the cup holder. If I do that it works fine. When it’s cold out it also works fine

OP
OP

volvofan94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry for not updating the thread sooner, but I took the truck in last fall and the dealer was able to fix the problem. The proximity unlock for the tailgate has been working great ever since.

They found a wiring fault between two modules, but correcting the issue fixed it. The truck got a new antenna in the tailgate and one other module, but I think root cause was a wiring fault the dealer fixed.
Sponsored