• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Climate Control on the Pro?

ShirBlackspots

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 5.4L
My gmc blows max fan almost all the time. Poor design.
Burned out resistor so that the fan only blows max.

But yeah, the Pro and XLT have dual zone, automatic climate control. (Image is a zoom in, and is off of Ford's website for media and images)

Ford F-150 Lightning Climate Control on the Pro? Screenshot 2021-11-14 175122
Sponsored

bluestarct

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150, 2020 Mazda 6 GT, Mach E FE
Occupation
Asset Management
Buttons!!! Awesome!!
I have a Mustang Mach E and 2017 F-150 XLT. I wish the Mach E had buttons and simple controls for the climate control like the F-150.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Yes confirmed from the Ford team on the Lightning road show resistive cabin heater.

Dual zone climate controls were present on the ride along in the Pro trim. Don't know if that is standard or an upgrade.
OH NO!
Cabin heating will be the downfall in the range per charge.

The largest energy sucking device is the cabin heater - my PHEV is the same system and can pull the range down 20-40% depending on how much cabin heating is used.
Instead of using cabin heating, I use the seat heaters which pulls less energy out of the batteries...

I can already hear the numerous complaints from Lightning owners in the colder months - complaining they don't get XXX miles per charge....

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
OH NO!

The largest energy sucking device is the cabin heater - my PHEV is the same system and can pull the range down 20-40% depending on how much cabin heating is used.
Instead of using cabin heating, I use the seat heaters which pulls less energy out of the batteries...

I can already hear the numerous complaints from Lightning owners in the colder months - complaining they don't get XXX miles per charge....
Keep in mind the impact will be much smaller on the Lightning because the heating load is about the same, but the battery is Huge!

Kiggulak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Volt, 2013 Focus EV, 2019 Model 3LR
OH NO!

I do the same in my Ford Focus Electric. The FFE has standard heated seats. Seat heat over cabin heater for the range win.

However I doubt seat heating will be an option for the Lightning Pro ... so now do I pay the step up price to XLT and seat upgrade costs to get heated seats ... and a few other perks like running boards?

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Keep in mind the impact will be much smaller on the Lightning because the heating load is about the same, but the battery is Huge!
Yes, the Lightning battery is huge compared to my 17kWh but then the cabin volume makes a large difference too.
Lightning interior is huge compared to my PHEV thus more cabin heating air volume is needed to warm up.

As for the range, I would expect some people will complain come colder months in areas of the country that drops in temps - both the battery capacity will be decreased as a matter of colder temps plus the added on load of the cabin heater which will drain it even more.
Let's not forget winter light levels - amount of daylight is less in north America and the use of more energy to illuminate will have a range impact.

For those that need exactly 3xx miles per charge daily - winter driving will cause some woes.....

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Yes, the Lightning battery is huge compared to my 17kWh but then the cabin volume makes a large difference too.
Lightning interior is huge compared to my PHEV thus more cabin heating air volume is needed to warm up.

As for the range, I would expect some people will complain come colder months in areas of the country that drops in temps - both the battery capacity will be decreased as a matter of colder temps plus the added on load of the cabin heater which will drain it even more.
Let's not forget winter light levels - amount of daylight is less in north America and the use of more energy to illuminate will have a range impact.

For those that need exactly 3xx miles per charge daily - winter driving will cause some woes.....
Absolutely, though the biggest impact will just be that batteries don't like being cold and have reduced capacity in the cold.

For safety, you should assume a 40% range hit in the winter (so a ~180 mile range for the ER Lightning and 138 miles for the SR). That drops further since you don't want to use 100% of the battery every day. If the lightning recommendations are the same as the Mach-e, you should keep it between 90% and 10% for daily use which gives you 144 miles in the ER and 110 miles in the SR.

That drops even more if you are driving in inclement weather (rain or snow) since that takes more energy.

Sponsored

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Don't forget most EV vehicles have a "driver only" setting for climate control to save power from heating the entire cabin when not needed.
For me, when travelling alone it will mostly just be the seat heat and steering wheel heater being used. I can park inside so it would only be cold when coming home from work (only a 11min drive, so no point in heating it up for maybe 5 minutes of being warm)

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Burned out resistor so that the fan only blows max.

But yeah, the Pro and XLT have dual zone, automatic climate control. (Image is a zoom in, and is off of Ford's website for media and images)

Screenshot 2021-11-14 175122.png
Aww man I'm so jealous of those buttons and knobs. Wish my Lariat had them.
Sponsored