First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
My platinum has some relay or pump that clicks and clacks every 4 to 5 min while it's parked.
The main clicking is drivers side just behind wheel well. Sounds like a relay that is activating and causing another connector to close. The worring motor sound is coming from the front and that occurs every 7 min. Sounds like some pump. First there is a relay along firewall that activates some kind of pump. Both last less than a second
What systems could cause that and I'm concerned about parasitic drain.

This stuff goes on all night long.
Sponsored

B-real

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 3.5
Are you sure it goes all night long? My 3.5 ecoboost will do the same "clacking" thing for about 30 min when first parked, but then it stops

Sponsored

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Powerboosts have a number of relays and pumps that seem to cycle at various points for the first hour or so after first stopping the vehicle. Was totally thinking there were issues as first. 2 trouble free yrs later I have just resolved myself to it being part of the Powerboost putting itself to sleep. Now I would be more concerned if I shut it off and things remained silent 😀

OP
OP

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
This is hours after I park. I'm curious as to what systems are making these sounds.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
Have you tried locking it up and not approaching the truck with your keys on you? It’s normal for it to do some emissions related operations after shut down for an hour or so, but should quiet up after and “go to sleep.” If you’re waking it up often by checking to see if it’s making the noises you’re describing, it will oblige.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
Another thought, do you keep your key fob near the truck when it’s parked?

OP
OP

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Always leave it in the truck and
lock it up

Sponsored

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
Someone please correct me if necessary, but I think having the fob near or in the truck and approaching it will wake it up. I’ve at least noticed that with mine. Approach lights and clicking relays occur when I come in proximity if I have fob on me, or if it’s sitting in the cupholder, even if the truck is locked.

I’d make an attempt to store your keyfob further from the truck if the sounds bother you, but even if you continue to store the fob inside your locked truck, as long as you’re not approaching it and it senses motion, the clicking sounds should stop shortly after parking.

OP
OP

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Getting away from my op.
I'm trying to find out what systems are running while I'm not using it.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
You're not always hearing the same thing sir. There are some noises that are emissions related that occur regardless of where your fob is. What you're hearing all night, as you said, are probably not emissions related sounds, they are the sounds your truck makes when it thinks the driver is approaching and will need to start momentarily. What those are exactly, I'm not aware of but still thought I'd attempt to help satisfy your curiosity.

In a nutshell, pulled from the internets: the powertrain control module (PCM) uses three simple but robust components to purge gas vapors and test the gas vapor system for leak integrity after shutdown. The canister purge solenoid (CPS), canister vent solenoid (CVS) and fuel tank pressure sensor (FTPS) are the heart of the system.

That stuff makes some noise, and is normal. But there are plenty of other relays that will click when you approach the truck with the fob nearby or inside after the normal emissions related system checks have run their course.

You are not continually noticing the same noises from the same system.

OP
OP

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
As I previously said the key fob in in the truck. Unless the truck has ESP then it won't know I'm approaching. Please don't tell me what I hear. The two different sounds of mechanical relays and pumps are the same every time.
Four hours after I shut it down the sounds continue. Six hours they continue... The clicking at drivers side top of wheel well repeats every 4 min. The pump sounds are from the front middle behind the coolers. That repeats every 7 to 8 minutes.
This occurs each and every time the truck is not running. My concern is the parasitic draw on the 12v battery over long periods of time when I don't drive it.
Sponsored