Cleaning engine bay

F150 4X4

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
How is everybody cleaning their engine without spraying it down, would spraying it down mess with the electrical stuff ?
Sponsored

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
I havent had to do it with my truck. But what I have done is; disconnect the battery, spray unpressured water, use degreaser and agitate it with a brush, rinse with hose pressure again.

What I have done for my gen14is simply use exterior detailer liquid and a cloth to wipe stuff that looks dirty

jmacd

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT 3.5 HDPP, Stone Gray
Back in the days of distributor caps and single ignition coils washing down the engine bay was problematic. Today, less of a problem. Just use light pressure with a hose, not a high pressure washer. A new engine with no oil leaks, your just rinsing off dust and mud. good to go with a gentle spray down.

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
I use engine detailer. Spray n wipe. RInse dust carefully only if/when needed.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
I spray it with a hose on the shower setting. I then spray the engine with Simple Green. I leave the Simple Green on for about 5 minutes, rinse with the hose on shower setting, then blow the water off with a leaf blower. I then use Turtle Wax Protectant on all the plastic and rubber. Engine will look better than new.

Sponsored

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
I’ve always wondered this myself. I keep telling myself I’m going to try and kee the engine bay clean this time around but never do it. Im always worried it will
Mess something up. Lol I’ve seen people at the car wash spraying their engine bays with the high pressure hose and think.. WTF haha

Dumore

First Name
Du
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 F150 EB
For those in the rust belt, use ACF 50 on the bare aluminum parts to prevent the white oxide that appears over winter. Probably would help on those vehicles elsewhere also.

I use the pressure washer (adjustable set to low) in the engine compartment but am careful not to direct a high pressure direct spray on plastic parts or the cables wrapped with tape. Simple green is corrosive to aluminum so be sure to rinse well after using.

Du

chuckg57

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Goldwing Trike, 2021 F-150 XLT 3.5EB
I live on a dirt road. I will hit it with an air hose every once in awhile but anything else would be a waste of time.
Sponsored