First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 BMW X3, 2021 F-150 Lariat 502A
Occupation
IT
Picked up my new Lariat today but noticed a lot of water spots and fading on exterior black plastic and rubber like on bed rails, windshield and around moon roof. What does everyone use. I am generally not a fan of armorall or other products that look good for a week and then worse than they did originally. Thanks for your suggestion!

Mike
Sponsored

Bowhunter

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F150 , GMC ACADIA
Picked up my new Lariat today but noticed a lot of water spots and fading on exterior black plastic and rubber like on bed rails, windshield and around moon roof. What does everyone use. I am generally not a fan of armorall or other products that look good for a week and then worse than they did originally. Thanks for your suggestion!

Mike
I use "Son of A Gun" by STP. It's a silicone base in lieu of a petroleum base. Unfortunately, I understand they have discontinued making it. You can still find it on line. It is much better than anything else I have tried. Makes me wonder why they discontinued it.

Mengel

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 power boost
Occupation
Superintendent
I just had my Powerboost acrylic coated which included the black plastic also coated the rims and windows. Pick it up tomorrow from my detailer

Mengel

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 power boost
Occupation
Superintendent
I just had my Powerboost acrylic coated which included the black plastic also coated the rims and windows. Pick it up tomorrow from my detailer
Correction ceramic coating.

Sponsored

Rkh51

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep jl Toyota rav4
I use Rust oleum plastic restore with ceramic. Seems to have worked well there is a video on YouTube about it. The guy is from texas and does one year review of most the products on the market today check it out see what one you like

OP
OP

MJEngstrom

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 BMW X3, 2021 F-150 Lariat 502A
Occupation
IT
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up buying 303 and so far very happy with it. I will be curious to see how long it lasts before needing to be reapplied. Not too shiny or oily.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Griots exterior plastic conditioner and protectant. It’s excellent.

Sponsored

Jean72

First Name
Jean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150
Look for Solution Finish to restore black faded trims/bumper/grills/pillar. You need to clean it first with an APC and agitate with a brush. Check first if the water spots are gone. If not, try to buy a Mineral Deposit Remover to remove water spots. Then leave it to dry and apply Solution Finish. It lasts about 6 months to a year.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
This truck does have A LOT more plastic trim than I was hoping for! Grille, the rubber seal in between grille and front bumper, a massive trim piece in between the hood and the bottom of the windshield, the F-150 insignia on the fenders, the side mirror trim, seals/trim at the bottom of the windows on the doors, dual panel moonroof seal, trim ALL around the bed, the top of the rear bumper, and mud/dirt catches at the bottom of the front and rear wheel wells. (I might have even missed some!)

I’ve been using the 303 Aerospace Protectant on the black plastic trim pieces and seals on my cars for a few years. Switched from Armor-All style products to it.

Lasts longer than Armor-All and similar products, and does a better job of restoration and protection from UV damage. Will need to be applied everyone couple of weeks, though.

Used it for the first time on the F-150 a few days ago and it seems to be holding up alright even after being rained on.

Top tip if you get it on your paint. It won’t necessarily hurt it, but rubbing/wiping it with a dry cloth will only increase its bonding to the vehicle instead of removing it. Have a damp rag handy to dilute it from the paint and then wipe it down again with a dry cloth if necessary.

Ford F-150 Cleaning and protecting exterior plastic and rubber 8A8B6DFE-ABA4-4C13-BFA7-DB9AC694E9E0

Last edited:

Cobra427

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost, 2022 Mustang Mach e
Occupation
Retired auto engineer
I use and like SC! for interior and exterior plastic and rubber. Bike shop where I got my side-by-side included a free can, and the stuff is great. Long-lasting and easy to apply.

https://maximausa.com/i-30498287-sc1-12oz.html

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I use and like SC! for interior and exterior plastic and rubber. Bike shop where I got my side-by-side included a free can, and the stuff is great. Long-lasting and easy to apply.

https://maximausa.com/i-30498287-sc1-12oz.html

Interesting. I may have to check it out. Although, aerosol spray worries me a little with how small and intricate some of the trims pieces are on this truck.

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
Interesting. I may have to check it out. Although, aerosol spray worries me a little with how small and intricate some of the trims pieces are on this truck.
I usually spray whatever product onto a rag, then apply, to control possible overspray on those small and intricate pieces.
Sponsored