Sponsored

Cigarette Lighter State After Power Down

mcgski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Did a search but couldn't find a good answer....

Does anyone know if these 14 Gen F150's shut down power to the cigarette lighter after some time while the power is off? I'm thinking of putting a solar trickle charger in my window while the truck sits in the drive to keep the battery topped off and want to use the cigarette lighter option for this rather than going through to the battery. TIA.
Sponsored

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
I have my phone charger plugged into the 12v socket and after the truck is shut down and locked, it stays on way longer than I would have expected. The charger plug has a blue light on it and the magnetic ring for MagSafe has a white ring glow around it. Walking by 30-45 mins after parking the truck at night I can still see everything lit up inside the cab.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I think the service manual instructs the technician to wait 75 minutes after shutting down the vehicle before troubleshooting a parasitic draw on the battery.

This implies that the truck is still partially awake for up to 75 minutes?

I do know that if I park my truck near the front door of the RV, it emits several Audible "clunks" as things turn off or shut down over a length of time. If the hood is up, it can even startle you.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 PB 501a 4x4 short bed 7.2KW. PL=1658lbs.
Did a search but couldn't find a good answer....

Does anyone know if these 14 Gen F150's shut down power to the cigarette lighter after some time while the power is off? I'm thinking of putting a solar trickle charger in my window while the truck sits in the drive to keep the battery topped off and want to use the cigarette lighter option for this rather than going through to the battery. TIA.
I like this idea. I have a small solar panel I could use for this too.

Used to use it to keep the house batt charged on a Class B RV

The only caution I'd have, is that mine doesn't have any smarts to shut it down and prevent over charging. There were times when you could smell the battery, if left hooked up but closed up, for long periods.

Not sure if thats a problem for AGMs but it is for LA.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

The only caution I'd have, is that mine doesn't have any smarts to shut it down and prevent over charging. There were times when you could smell the battery, if left hooked up but closed up, for long periods.

Thinking about this.

If hooked up on the correct side of the on board battery monitor, would it be able to regulate the charge?

Sponsored

OP
OP
mcgski

mcgski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat

The one's I'm thinking of buying have the MPPT circuit that prevents overcharge.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Good point.
You could keep an eye on it with one of these Bluetooth battery monitors that would allow you to see the current voltage on the 12V buss.
And you could get a quick reading of the AGM SOC if you were to turn off the solar feed for a few seconds?

Ford F-150 Cigarette Lighter State After Power Down Screenshot_20230419_105615_Amazon Shoppin

The smartphone app allows you to get the logs and current values without touching or waking the truck.

Ford F-150 Cigarette Lighter State After Power Down Screenshot_20230415_082814_Battery Monitor

OP
OP
mcgski

mcgski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Thinking about this.

If hooked up on the correct side of the on board battery monitor, would it be able to regulate the charge?
I would assume so. That's why I want to use the cigarette lighter - the BMS will "see" the charge and can regulate to protect the battery and prevent deep sleep messages when the battery is fine.

Davexxxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I would assume so. That's why I want to use the cigarette lighter - the BMS will "see" the charge and can regulate to protect the battery and prevent deep sleep messages when the battery is fine.
That would be nice, just didn't know if the monitor, is also a regulator.

Good thing about using the power point, is you're probably already on the correct side of this.

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
I think the service manual instructs the technician to wait 75 minutes after shutting down the vehicle before troubleshooting a parasitic draw on the battery.

I do know that if I park my truck near the front door of the RV, it emits several Audible "clunks" as things turn off or shut down over a length of time. If the hood is up, it can even startle you.
75 would make sense. My guess was an hour based on my observations.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Good morning! Can you tell us a little more about this power concern with your F-150 truck? Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership at your earliest convenience. I'd like to look into this for you.

OP
OP
mcgski

mcgski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Good morning! Can you tell us a little more about this power concern with your F-150 truck? Feel free to send over a private message with your VIN and dealership at your earliest convenience. I'd like to look into this for you.
Sure, I'm the OP on this thread....

I don't drive every day and I've seen one warning of going into deep sleep mode. I was hoping to put a solar panel on my dash to trickle charge the main 12V battery while not in use. I'd like to use one of the 12V cigarette lighter ports in the cab but need to make sure 1) the port stays active, and 2) is this recommended.

Thanks.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE

The way to solve such a situation is to have a controller that outputs an AGM float voltage. 13.3 - 13.4v is the perfect continued presence voltage. The AGM will only take charge if it needs it, but won't charge if it's already around 90% SOC. You could go lower but may see no benefit outside of offsetting small current pulls equivalent to the panels output.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It took 5000 posts to trigger the bot.
And I still think its algorithm needs some work? :)
Sponsored