Sponsored

Chrome vs Sport Appearance - What is more durable?

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
I work in an area that I will parallel park a lot - squeezing in to spaces. What is better as far as protecting from bumper taps - the chrome or painted bumpers? Or getting chrome and then adding some covers or wrap etc?

Right now I have an order in for a 2023 Lariat 502A package and set it up with the Sport Appearance package but I am kind of annoyed that there is a separate charge to swap the Chome wheels for the back(ie in the price book it looks like the upcharge is $485 but it is $495+$1495 for the wheels swap). Thinking about dropping the Sport Appearance and blacking out the items I want myself - maybe
Sponsored

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
I like both...but its easier to paint a painted bumper than buy a new chrome replacement.
IMHO, Sport, and 3M hood, grill and front bumper.

Reactions: 780

snapper9601

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 4x4 Lariat 500A SCrew 2.7EB 145"
Another option if one is so inclined, and has a Class IV receiver hitch, Weathertech sells a BumpStep that mounts in the receiver. They also have a BumpFrame, an impact resistant license plate frame that looks like it could be used on the front bumpers of our trucks. There is also a less expensive/less elaborate item similar to the BumpStep on Amazon called a HitchHammer. Looks to be solid rubber.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I work in an area that I will parallel park a lot - squeezing in to spaces. What is better as far as protecting from bumper taps - the chrome or painted bumpers? Or getting chrome and then adding some covers or wrap etc?

Right now I have an order in for a 2023 Lariat 502A package and set it up with the Sport Appearance package but I am kind of annoyed that there is a separate charge to swap the Chome wheels for the back(ie in the price book it looks like the upcharge is $485 but it is $495+$1495 for the wheels swap). Thinking about dropping the Sport Appearance and blacking out the items I want myself - maybe

Sport package also gets a console shifter, the chrome pack the shifter is in the column. There are kits out there to convert to console but you're talking 6-800 and a ton of work. If you want Chrome wheels chances are you can find some OEM pulls fairly cheap locally. You can go chrome pack and have the bumpers color matched wrapped/painted for $4-500. The door handles and fender vents will also be in Chrome. The sport vents can be found for around 200 from EliteOEM for a set and the door pulls can be painted as well for about 250 +/-. Lariat sport grills are going for 250+ on ebay as well and those are not hard to swap out.

This is all stuff I am in the process of swapping out on mine. I wanted the sport pack in white but got lucky with a XLT PB ox white with chrome. Already got the vents in and the grill will be in this week.

Last edited:

Cb Mw

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bike
In my unscientific observations the chrome holds up better to corrosion. In the upper Midwest I see more chipped and rusted painted bumpers than I see rusted chrome on older models.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
In my unscientific observations the chrome holds up better to corrosion. In the upper Midwest I see more chipped and rusted painted bumpers than I see rusted chrome on older models.
I've had both. I'd agree chrome bumpers will hold up better than painted, but then again I don't plan to regularly run into other vehicles or anything else larger than a grasshopper. Painted bumpers get stone chips and rust. Unfortunately, Ford's "chrome-like PVD" on wheels and running boards gets cloudy, scratchy and tired looking fairly early on. If I didn't have a preference for one over the other for appearance I would go with chrome.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
So are the painted bumpers still steel and not plastic? i didnt know that!

MTNMN

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (2022 F-150 King Ranch On Order)
Sport package also gets a console shifter, the chrome pack the shifter is in the column. There are kits out there to convert to console but you're talking 6-800 and a ton of work. If you want Chrome wheels chances are you can find some OEM pulls fairly cheap locally. You can go chrome pack and have the bumpers color matched wrapped/painted for $4-500. The door handles and fender vents will also be in Chrome. The sport vents can be found for around 200 from EliteOEM for a set and the door pulls can be painted as well for about 250 +/-. Lariat sport grills are going for 250+ on ebay as well and those are not hard to swap out.

This is all stuff I am in the process of swapping out on mine. I wanted the sport pack in white but got lucky with a XLT PB ox white with chrome. Already got the vents in and the grill will be in this week.
THIS IS WRONG!

That is only the case for an XLT.

I drive a 502 CHROME PACKAGE and i have console and console shifter.

Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
THIS IS WRONG!

That is only the case for an XLT.

I drive a 502 CHROME PACKAGE and i have console and console shifter.
XLT's have the 300 series packages. The only way to get console shift is with the sport appearance package. The chrome package moves the shifter to the column. The Lariat's have the 500 series packages. That's why you have the chrome package and console shift.

JerryLZ

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB
I think you guys are looking too hard into standard equipment packages. You can add the console if you throw down the coin but you need to be in the 301a mid with sport or 302a with chrome. For lariat its a add on until 502A package where its included.

For the original question, probably chrome but I don't know if different materials are used for the base.

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
So are the painted bumpers still steel and not plastic? i didnt know that!
steelish, but repaintable...I made the mistake of backing into something, had to order rear bumper side and buddy repainted them.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I think you guys are looking too hard into standard equipment packages. You can add the console if you throw down the coin but you need to be in the 301a mid with sport or 302a with chrome. For lariat its a add on until 502A package where its included.

For the original question, probably chrome but I don't know if different materials are used for the base.
Mine's the PB 302A chrome and the shifter is in the column. Truck was a dealer stock so no add on. Got told by 4 dealers that only way to get console shift in the XLT is with the sport appearance when I spent a couple months looking before I lucked out with this one.

Painted bumpers would be easier to fill/repair rock chips than a heavily scratched chrome one. Well could always get a clear protectant film on the chrome or painted bumper as well for a couple hundred.

MTNMN

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat (2022 F-150 King Ranch On Order)
Mine's the PB 302A chrome and the shifter is in the column. Truck was a dealer stock so no add on. Got told by 4 dealers that only way to get console shift in the XLT is with the sport appearance when I spent a couple months looking before I lucked out with this one.

Painted bumpers would be easier to fill/repair rock chips than a heavily scratched chrome one. Well could always get a clear protectant film on the chrome or painted bumper as well for a couple hundred.
Yes but the OP is looking at a 502 not an XLT

Your post was not relevant to his question and just confusing.

In a 502 you will have a console shifter.
Sponsored