teddy57

First Name
Teddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering an F150
Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen,

I've been lurking here for some time, great information all around. Well, long story short I've been a Chevy guy all my life mainly because my father was a dealer, and some of my family members were/are still dealers going back to 1945. My dad finally recently retired and removed his stake in any of the dealerships, and coincidentally a Chevy left me stranded for the first time in my life this past summer. Long story short, it's time to try something new and I'd like to order a new F-150.

Here's where I need some help. I'm sorry if it's repetitive, you have to understand I am used to different codes, options, etc. as my whole life has been on the 'other side'. I am between two trucks, listed below. I have a 2018 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Z71 Chevy which most easily converts over to a F-150 Lariat/Sport/FX4 in looks and most options, however I am trying to decide between a 302A XLT and a 501A Lariat. When I asked my dealer to break down the differences, I get "Lariat is leather that's about it"...not very helpful.

The must haves/parallels are: Space White, Sport Appearance Pkg, 20" Dark Alloys, FX4, and Brake Controller.

302A XLT-Space White, FX4, XLT Sport Appearance Pkg, 3.5 Eco, 4x4, 20" Dark Alloys, Spray-in Liner, Pwr back window, Brake Controller, B&O Sound. $57000

501A Lariat Mid-Space White, FX4, Lariat Sport Appearance Pkg, 3.5 Eco, 20" Dark Alloys, Spray-in Liner, Brake Controller. $60505

So what am I getting for ~$3000 more dollars other than leather in the real world? Is sport cloth comparable to a pleather insert or is it cloth cloth? If that's the case, I do want a leather-y surface at least 50/50 and that might be enough to push me to a Lariat. I am picturing the XLT Explorer Sport seats in the XLT sport F-150 but I might be off base...

Thank you for any/all help you may provide.
Ted
Sponsored

Last edited:

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer

I've been lurking here for some time, great information all around. Well, long story short I've been a Chevy guy all my life mainly because my father was a dealer, and some of my family members were/are still dealers going back to 1945. My dad finally recently retired and removed his stake in any of the dealerships, and coincidentally a Chevy left me stranded for the first time in my life this past summer. Long story short, it's time to try something new and I'd like to order a new F-150.

Here's where I need some help. I'm sorry if it's repetitive, you have to understand I am used to different codes, options, etc. as my whole life has been on the 'other side'. I am between two trucks, listed below. I have a 2018 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Z71 Chevy which most easily converts over to a F-150 Lariat/Sport/FX4 in looks and most options, however I am trying to decide between a 302A XLT and a 501A Lariat. When I asked my dealer to break down the differences, I get "Lariat is leather that's about it"...not very helpful.

The must haves/parallels are: Space White, Sport Appearance Pkg, 20" Dark Alloys, FX4, and Brake Controller.

302A XLT-Space White, FX4, XLT Sport Appearance Pkg, 3.5 Eco, 4x4, 20" Dark Alloys, Spray-in Liner, Pwr back window, Brake Controller, B&O Sound. $57000

501A Lariat Mid-Space White, FX4, Lariat Sport Appearance Pkg, 3.5 Eco, 20" Dark Alloys, Spray-in Liner, Brake Controller. $60505

So what am I getting for ~$3000 more dollars other than leather in the real world? Is sport cloth comparable to a pleather insert or is it cloth cloth? If that's the case, I do want a leather-y surface at least 50/50 and that might be enough to push me to a Lariat. I am picturing the XLT Explorer Sport seats in the XLT sport F-150 but I might be off base...

Ted
There are a couple differences between a 302A and a 501A:
1. Leather
2. 12" digital instrument cluster: the instrument cluster: where you see your speed and revolutions' is fully digital which is awesome! only reason why I personally went for a Lariat instead of a XLT.
3. Sound system: the 501A has the fancy sound system (NOT THE UNLEASHED, the cheaper onem I think 8 speakers instead of 5?)
4. Universal Garage opening system

I recommend using the build and price, Ford's is Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better than Chevy's :).

OP
OP

teddy57

First Name
Teddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering an F150
Thanks for the feedback. I'm kind of a Diva (as my buddies tell me) and like a little nicer truck (leather, toys) so I think I am leaning toward the Lariat too. I've played with the build and price, it's just so hard to gauge over a couple of pictures. Thanks for the real world feedback that I'm looking for! Leather and that digital dash are looking like must haves..

Any insight on the XLT seats? Are they 100% cloth or are they 50/50. I guess I don't know what 'sport cloth' means.

Thanks again
Ted

Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
If you want leather seating, gotta move up to the Lariat.

I get your indecision on the bow tie vs oval thing.
ive had Chevys since the 70s, and my 98 base Cheyenne heavy duty 4x4 is still my favorite.
but since about 2008, I have not been comfortable in the GM,
I cannot put my finger on it, but it just does not fit for me. Plus I have not really cared for the sculptured body lines.
The F150 felt more comfortable and I felt more at ease right out of the gate.
I used to rent a LOT and had the cars for LONG periods.
last few years of that, and I would only leave the rental joint in an f-150 or an Expedition.
sit in one and drive it a bit, I know I was impressed.
I even ordered one before they started with the new body, not knowing what changes were made.
Most of the folks here are of the opinion that Ford has really stepped up with this new one, and I kind of agree.
That being said, my old dead nuts reliable v8/5spd base truck is still my favorite, and I won’t mind if it gets scratched.

Plat_2021

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Lariat Sport, 2021 Platinum (on order)
Occupation
Network and Security Consultant
In my opinion, the most important difference is that the Lariat comes with Auto 4WD (AWD) in addition to 4H, 4L and 2H.

In addition:
the Lariat sport has
LED reflector Highlight, vs Halogen Headlights
Power folding mirrors vs Manual Folding
Console Shifter vs Column Shifter

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Any insight on the XLT seats? Are they 100% cloth or are they 50/50. I guess I don't know what 'sport cloth' means.

Thanks again
Ted
all cloth, this is an XLT 301A
the sport will be all cloth as well, with the console shifter
Ford F-150 Chevy Guy Ordering a New Ford 302A vs 501A 9D9670E0-DF79-4B03-84E4-3CD964DA346A

OP
OP

teddy57

First Name
Teddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering an F150
Thanks, it's been a couple of years in the making in reality.

I test-drove a 2018 Lariat 3.5 Eco before I got this 2018 Silverado and loved it, but it just didn't feel right not buying from my dad's dealership despite him begging me to buy what I wanted.

It just seems like Chevy has fallen behind in the interior/tech department. My wife's 2020 Tahoe is lightyears behind my buddies 2018 Expedition. Heck, I feel this 2020 Tahoe on par with my wife's 2012 and 2015 Explorer Limited's. I keep hearing of a GM truck interior redesign, but I will believe it when I see it (2021 Yukon, Tahoe redesign provides some hope however). I'm big on the interior style/tech and this 2021 F-150 just seems to nail it.

Thanks,
Ted

OP
OP

teddy57

First Name
Teddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering an F150
In my opinion, the most important difference is that the Lariat comes with Auto 4WD (AWD) in addition to 4H, 4L and 2H.

In addition:
the Lariat sport has
LED reflector Highlight, vs Halogen Headlights
Power folding mirrors vs Manual Folding
Console Shifter vs Column Shifter
Thats a selling point for sure as my Silverado has auto-4wd that I find myself using a lot in the slop of a NNY winter. Thanks for that insight.

Sponsored

OP
OP

teddy57

First Name
Teddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ordering an F150
all cloth, this is an XLT 301A
the sport will be all cloth as well, with the console shifter
9D9670E0-DF79-4B03-84E4-3CD964DA346A.jpeg
Yeah, I just prefer the leather seating over cloth. Thanks for the insight on this, this pretty much seals it for me.

solarity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Well, I ended up ordering a 502a with everything that I mentioned above. The extra goodies were nice, and I love the Space White in person! ??
Congrats, IMHO be loyal to your wallet as any company can steam over customers. I am glad you got what you wanted as I think you will be happier in the end. I was going to buy a new Silverado 10 years ago and I regret not buying it as the used MDX I bought instead has had a lot of issues and trucks hold their value a lot better than other vehicles. I went from wanting a Chevy to a Ford, when Ford switched to AL for the F-150. I live in the rust belt and keep vehicles for a long time. Buyers remorse sucks.

Wvmtneer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Ted
I would go 501a for auto 4x4 transfer case, leather, and mid level B&O stereo.

Ford4Life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Platinum, 2022 Explorer ST
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Well, I ended up ordering a 502a with everything that I mentioned above. The extra goodies were nice, and I love the Space White in person! ??
Good choice. One other thing that wasn't mentioned about the Lariat is the grill. The Lariat grill, especially in the sport, is so much better than the XLT in my opinion. I know it's aesthetics, but it's another nice feature of upgrading to the lariat. Congratulations ???
Sponsored