Checking transmission fluid

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
As to temperature of the transmission when you check level... In those "old days" of dipsticks, they had markings for "cold" and "hot." So one might ask, why can't Ford do something like that. I've seen aftermarket dipsticks on the internet and may well at some future date put one in. What I'll do then is take the truck in and have the dealer check out level, take the truck home, install one of these aftermarket things, and mark off the dipstick level. Then I'll let it cool down, maybe a day or so, and again mark off the dipstick for the cold level... Who knows??? Just might work!!! This is just hydraulic fluid, come on now, we know its coefficient of expansion... Hm-m-m...
Sponsored

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
This source was even better as the OP lays out how to check, the three dipstick versions, and then a link to FordTechMakuloco's video, which starts at the 39-minute mark as he goes over fluid levels WHEN COLD. I'm going to pull the dipstick just to see what type of dipstick my truck has (numbered vs lettered) and take a reading. Still doesn't answer the question: Is the fluid level in a Gen13 with 10R80 trans the same in a Gen14 with 10R80 trans?

https://www.dieself150forum.com/thr...fluid-level-now-it-is-fairly-easy-to-do.2706/

Video
Sponsored

Last edited: