Sponsored

Checking recall notices before accepting a new truck

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I learned that once a manufacturer issues a service bulletin for a vehicle that the dealer is restricted by law from selling the vehicle until the problem has been fixed. My dealer had received a notice about the defective wiper motors in the F-150 trucks but sold me one regardless. Now that I own it there is no legal recourse and the lemon law does not apply.
Sponsored

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
Did you check to see if your wiper motor is the part number subject to the recall? I am hoping the dealership verified that it is not one of the recalled units prior to selling you the truck. Otherwise, I feel that you have legitimate grounds for recourse.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
What’s the issue? When I bought my truck last year, the dealer give me a print out I had to sign that showed the VIN and recall status. I had none at the time of sale. I received the wiper motor recall months later and had the dealer perform the recall repair. No issue.

Did you get a notice from Ford? Is the recall shown in owner.ford.com when you sign in?

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
All dealerships in the US are by law not allowed to sell a vehicle with an open recall on it, or they can be fined very heavily. "Service bulletins" are not "Recalls" if there was an open recall on the vehicle prior to or on the date of sale. You can go after them for this to have it corrected under warranty. But it most certainly does not afford you a lemon law case, as they have not been allowed to opportunity to first correct the condition.

gregs150xlt

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 XLT
I've always been shown a print out showing "no active recalls" when I've purchased a new vehicle.

Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Yeah, a TSB isn't a recall...
Totally agree, but Ive seen some TSBs that should have been recalls. There's a TSB for our cam phasers on the 2.7 that calls for an updated part to be installed. The fact that they understand there's an issue with the old design and issued a new design tells me it should likely be a recall. What's the criteria for deciding tsb vs recall?

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Totally agree, but Ive seen some TSBs that should have been recalls. There's a TSB for our cam phasers on the 2.7 that calls for an updated part to be installed. The fact that they understand there's an issue with the old design and issued a new design tells me it should likely be a recall. What's the criteria for deciding tsb vs recall?
Recalls are issued by the government after a number of complaints are recorded and to my knowledge these are always safety issues. Something that will hurt or kill you should be recalled.

TSB is internal to Ford. Your engine internals might cause problems for you, but it's not likely to cause loss of control and an accident.

@Calson how do you know they didn't fix recalls prior to delivery?
Your Ford Pass app will show warranty work done and it will show up in PTS/Oasis.

The wiper motor recall specified only checking the motor for specific numbers and if no match the recall doesn't apply. I'm not sure if the act of checking the motor would show up as recorded in Ford Pass but it will clear active recall status.

CarFax and NHTSA will show any active recalls. All recalls must be recorded as completed to NHTSA to go off of the official record for your VIN number.

You can search here to see if there are any active recalls:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Just as an example my truck had both wiper recalls performed prior to my purchase. It shows 0 active recalls.

OP
OP

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
For the amount one is going to invest in a new vehicle it is prudent to verify that it does not have known defects. Using recalls and TSBs and websites like carcomplaints.com may provide information on important defects prior to your accepting the new vehicle.

How many people would have liked to know about the rear axle bolt defect before they took possession of their new truck?
Sponsored