First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Lincoln Zephyr
Occupation
Admin/Accessory Technician at a local Ford Dealer
Is it stamped F-150 underneath? That's all I want to know! ;)
Hey, i just actually replaced one of the tailgate appliques on a 2021 Platinum. It's held on by 2 nuts and about 40 clips. There's no F-150 stamped... Sorry to disappoint. The separation between the "platinum" and plastic layers on the applique shouldn't be happening but i agree it's "normal" after the sun has gotten to it.
Sponsored

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
I wonder if you could throw some sealant in there to basically glue it together and keep it closer. It would have probably stayed on better if it was glued on.... I wouldn't say it's barely hanging on, just looks bad with the gaps caused by the sun. Plastic can warp in the sun and heat. Could be the plastic they are using too.

mdjgd4

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost, 2015 F150 King Ranch
Occupation
Sales Manager
Just checking in to see if anyone who had their 2021 F150 tailgate appliqué replaced by the dealer is having the same issue again. My 2021 F150 Limited has had the tailgate appliqué replaced twice under warranty for the warping and each time it did not fix the issue. Literally both times when I picked up the truck it had a new appliqué but there were large gaps on the upper left and right sides of the appliqué. It is clearly not secured properly by design. The two areas where there is hardware/bolts that fasten the appliqué to the tailgate is sucked in super tight to the truck. Everywhere else is gapped out about 1/8”+. It is extremely noticeable when walking up to the vehicle from the rear or side as the reflections are warped and distorted as a result just like a warped mirror at a carnival. At any rate, I am awaiting Ford’s third attempt to replace the appliqué (part is now back ordered for over a month). I saw a YouTube video where a custom shop was removing the 2021 F150 Appliqué to paint it and the tech said he would put 3M Double Sided Tape on the back of the appliqué so it would adhere better. I am tempted to ask Ford to do this when they replace it. Thank you in advance for any feedback on your replacements and if it actually fixed the problem.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Mine was loose from the get-go. Another Platinum still on the lot is loose too. Dealer ordered a new one 2 weeks ago. 2 way tape just don't cut it apparently. Sure hope the new one will have substantially wider tape on it. The F350 Plat on the lot was good. Whats up with that?

Last edited:

matrix311

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Technology Sales
Mine is doing the same. I posted a video online as well and its pretty bad. I'm waiting for the black version to come out from the new 2022 Platinum Black Edition so i can replace the chrome with black on the back. Until then, it will keep the gap!

Sponsored

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
I had the same issue with my King Ranch. Dealer replaced it about two months ago. It’s still not perfect but it’s better.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Just checking in to see if anyone who had their 2021 F150 tailgate appliqué replaced by the dealer is having the same issue again. My 2021 F150 Limited has had the tailgate appliqué replaced twice under warranty for the warping and each time it did not fix the issue. Literally both times when I picked up the truck it had a new appliqué but there were large gaps on the upper left and right sides of the appliqué. It is clearly not secured properly by design. The two areas where there is hardware/bolts that fasten the appliqué to the tailgate is sucked in super tight to the truck. Everywhere else is gapped out about 1/8”+. It is extremely noticeable when walking up to the vehicle from the rear or side as the reflections are warped and distorted as a result just like a warped mirror at a carnival. At any rate, I am awaiting Ford’s third attempt to replace the appliqué (part is now back ordered for over a month). I saw a YouTube video where a custom shop was removing the 2021 F150 Appliqué to paint it and the tech said he would put 3M Double Sided Tape on the back of the appliqué so it would adhere better. I am tempted to ask Ford to do this when they replace it. Thank you in advance for any feedback on your replacements and if it actually fixed the problem.
Good morning! Can you please send over a private message with your VIN? I would like to see what I can do to assist you with your tailgate issue.

mdjgd4

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales Manager
Good morning! Can you please send over a private message with your VIN? I would like to see what I can do to assist you with your tailgate issue.
Have service appointment for 11/11 for Ford’s 3rd attempt to fix the warped tailgate appliqué and will follow up with the results. I did open up a case with Ford’s Customer Care but am having issues getting a return call/email from the rep assigned to my case. At any rate, will post an update, hopefully reporting the issue is resolved!

PK561

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Have service appointment for 11/11 for Ford’s 3rd attempt to fix the warped tailgate appliqué and will follow up with the results. I did open up a case with Ford’s Customer Care but am having issues getting a return call/email from the rep assigned to my case. At any rate, will post an update, hopefully reporting the issue is resolved!
My vehicle is in for a reverse brake assist service and I advised the Service Advisor of the Platinum tailgate badging. He looked at it and added it to the service ticket. Apparently there has been an elevated service requests for these. The tech advised my tailgate badging needed replacing and they are back ordered. So will be going back once it comes in.

mdjgd4

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sales Manager
Just wanted to follow up after Ford replaced my 2021 Ford F-150 Limited appliqué for the third time. I am happy to report there is no longer any gap and the appliqué contours to the tailgate the way it should. The first two replacements and the original that was on when I bought it all had the gap upon installation. Thinking the back ordered appliqués (I waited two months for the most recent replacement due to back order) may have been because Ford made adjustments to the appliqué due to this issue.

Sponsored

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
The replacement applique for my 21 Plat finally came in after waiting 4 month and has been installed couple days ago. New one has a 11 inch gap top centre now. All it's accomplished was the transfer from the ends to the centre. Made another appointment for next week.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
Looks like my '22 Limited applique is starting to come loose as well. 02/22 build.

Ford F-150 Check your platinum tailgate PXL_20220514_162337489

Ford F-150 Check your platinum tailgate PXL_20220514_162330269

2Lazy2P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 3.5 EB Platinum FX4 701A
Looks like my '22 Limited applique is starting to come loose as well. 02/22 build.

PXL_20220514_162337489.jpg

PXL_20220514_162330269.jpg
That's terrible QC. Hope Ford will quickly resolve this for you.

Antimatter22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Limited in Star White.
That's terrible QC. Hope Ford will quickly resolve this for you.
Yeah I'll have to keep an eye on it. I'd imagine it'll only get worse with the temps warming up. Surprised it's as bad as it is being built a few months ago.

mikeitmobile

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Limited 2021 Powerboost
Occupation
Tech
Not isolated to Platinum my Limited did the same Ford replaced under warranty could not believe the price if I had to pay over 1600.00
Sponsored