Check my specs

bryanmichael

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 XLT
Apologies if this thread is already in use somewhere else in the forums.

Thought it would be a good resource if we started a thread dedicated to analyzing each other's specs and calculations on tow ability. Seeing a couple posts in the forums, I know this can certainly drum up some drama but that's not the intent here. The idea is to post your truck's specs and your conclusions on what you should be able to tow based on those numbers. Because this can be so confusing, I know I would benefit from many of our other resident experts on this topic.

*We all have our opinions - please try keeping it to the facts - avoid the nonsense. :)

I'll go first...

------------------

Specs:

Ford F-150 XLT
Supercrew
3.5 V6 Eco Boost
VIN - 1FTFW1C83MKF04696

(all below according to the dealer)
Payload - 1,934
Tow Capacity - 14,000
GVWR - 7,050
GCWR - 19,300
Curb Weight - 4,584

Passenger weight (5 people) - 750
WD Hitch weight - 100
5 Bikes - 150

Conclusions:
  • Should be able to tow a camper in the range of 7,200 - 7,500 lbs GVWR
  • Aiming to keep camper length under 32'
  • Aiming to keep hitch weight 900 lbs or under (currently using the 12.5% rule from the GVWR - but so many RV's list much lighter hitch weights than the 12.5% rule)
Thoughts?
Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I think you should be good with what you have there. Keep in mind most TTs come heavier than what they spec. Check out some rv forums for models you're looking at to get true weights from others with what you're shopping.

rado

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Weights a good starting point, but frontal area of the trailer is so important. You can probably tow a flatbed loaded with 8-9k pounds quite easily, but would struggle to pull a similarly weighted TT with a huge frontal area.
Sponsored