• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
put this in the wrong thread initially: thanks for the video, I'm new to EVs also so it was informative. We have solar on the house and I'm wondering what additional hardware we need in order to be able to charge the lightning with the solar in the power outage to extend the battery. I think I remember seeing some form of 3 way power transfer capability with tesla powerwalls, being able to power the house while also being charged from solar.
Sponsored

Kevin22

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Occupation
Systems Test Engineer
put this in the wrong thread initially: thanks for the video, I'm new to EVs also so it was informative. We have solar on the house and I'm wondering what additional hardware we need in order to be able to charge the lightning with the solar in the power outage to extend the battery. I think I remember seeing some form of 3 way power transfer capability with tesla powerwalls, being able to power the house while also being charged from solar.
You are correct sir... just finished with installation. Really depends on storage. You will need a great deal of batteries to store enough power to refresh the 98 kWh battery on the Lighting. We pull from the batteries to charge the car at night. If the car is plugged in during the day it will pull from solar but then not recharge the home batteries as much. Fun to watch them charge and not give money to SDG&E.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging the F-150 Lightning: Everything You Need To Know [Video] 1642703711991

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
can't you just skip the powerwall and use the lightning as a battery backup? That's what the whole intelligent backup is supposed to be. However in all the literature it doesn't talk about charging from solar while using as a backup.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
can't you just skip the powerwall and use the lightning as a battery backup? That's what the whole intelligent backup is supposed to be. However in all the literature it doesn't talk about charging from solar while using as a backup.
We don't know what will be required yet but it should be possible and I am planning to do it if it's affordable.

I love my solar but cannot justify $25,000+ to install PowerWalls. I was trying get by with just one but the size of my solar array requires 3 and it wasn't worth.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Pretty sure you ought to get an electrician to discuss how to set transfer switches in your system and they would need to know the local utility rules on if or how you can connect PV to grid.

For reference this is a list of what one might use to compare.

Miles Per Kilowatt-hour Miles Per Gallon Gasoline Equivalent
1 mi/kWh 33.71 MPGe
2 mi/kWh 67.41 MPGe
3 mi/kWh 101.12 MPGe
4 mi/kWh 134.82 MPGe
5 mi/kWh 168.53 MPGe

If the F150 EV gets too close to 1 it really doesn't make any sense to own. My guess is more like 2-3

Last edited:

Sponsored

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
I have a question on the 240V wiring necessary for the LIghtning. 6-3 wire is needed to properly wire a NEMA 14-50 outlet. The Ford Dual Voltage Ford Mobile Charger has a plug adaptor for a 14-50 outlet. Does the Ford Mobile Charger require the neutral to be connected to work?

I don't want to run 6-3 wire if 6-2 wire is sufficient.

I plan on hardwiring a ChargePoint Home Flex to maximize home charging. Hardwiring the ChargePoint or a JuiceBox or even the Ford Connected Charge Station only requires a 2-pole connection (6-2 wire). These chargers are all on backorder. If my ChargePoint arrives in time then I am fine with the 6-2 wire I plan on installing.

However if my Lightning arrives before the ChargePoint then I would want to have a NEMA 14-50 240V outlet ready for the Mobile Charger. If the neutral is required then that means installing wire that is 50% more expensive than needed for the wall mount chargers.
Ford F-150 Lightning Charging the F-150 Lightning: Everything You Need To Know [Video] 1649513999376

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging the F-150 Lightning: Everything You Need To Know [Video] 1649513910081

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging the F-150 Lightning: Everything You Need To Know [Video] 1649514181044

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I have a question on the 240V wiring necessary for the LIghtning. 6-3 wire is needed to properly wire a NEMA 14-50 outlet. The Ford Dual Voltage Ford Mobile Charger has a plug adaptor for a 14-50 outlet. Does the Ford Mobile Charger require the neutral to be connected to work?

I don't want to run 6-3 wire if 6-2 wire is sufficient.

I plan on hardwiring a ChargePoint Home Flex to maximize home charging. Hardwiring the ChargePoint or a JuiceBox or even the Ford Connected Charge Station only requires a 2-pole connection (6-2 wire). These chargers are all on backorder. If my ChargePoint arrives in time then I am fine with the 6-2 wire I plan on installing.

However if my Lightning arrives before the ChargePoint then I would want to have a NEMA 14-50 240V outlet ready for the Mobile Charger. If the neutral is required then that means installing wire that is 50% more expensive than needed for the wall mount chargers.
1649513999376.png

1649513910081.png

1649514181044.png
6/2 has two conductors plus a ground (240v operation)
6/3 has two conductors, a neutral and a ground (240v/120v operation)
6 gauge conductors call for 10 gauge ground

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
6/2 has two conductors plus a ground (240v operation)
6/3 has two conductors, a neutral and a ground (240v/120v operation)
6 gauge conductors call for 10 gauge ground
To be clear I was referencing Romex 6/2 and Romex 6/3 wiring both of which come with the appropriate ground wires.

I'm just trying to avoid an extra $134 for 50' of 6/3 compared to 50' of 6/2 when the only requirement for 6/3 is to wire a NEMA 14-50 outlet. All other charging solutions just need the 6/2 wire. Even the ChargePoint Home Flex with the Nema 14-50 plug only uses the L1, L2 and Ground wires. I think the neutral on that plug doesn't do anything.

Galactus55

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Chevy Volt, 2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
To be clear I was referencing Romex 6/2 and Romex 6/3 wiring both of which come with the appropriate ground wires.

I'm just trying to avoid an extra $134 for 50' of 6/3 compared to 50' of 6/2 when the only requirement for 6/3 is to wire a NEMA 14-50 outlet. All other charging solutions just need the 6/2 wire. Even the ChargePoint Home Flex with the Nema 14-50 plug only uses the L1, L2 and Ground wires. I think the neutral on that plug doesn't do anything.
You know what they say:
" I'd rather be looking at it, then looking for it"
Nuff said ;)

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I think the neutral on that plug doesn't do anything.
It depends on whether you want the 14-50R receptacle to pass an inspection without a neutral.

You could always buy the Home Flex with a NEMA 6-50P plug on its cordset and install a NEMA 6-50R receptacle. If I had any thoughts of downgrading from hard-wired 48 Amp charging to 40 Amp charging using a 14-50P plug-in EVSE, I would use four wire (6/3) Romex cable for the run for future proofing.

Link to $$$ Amazon grey market listing for illustrating Chargepoint plug options only:

https://www.amazon.com/ChargePoint-Home-Electric-Vehicle-Charger/dp/B07WNXTHNW/r

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
it is true that the 'balanced' load of the EVSE 50amp plug does not need, nor require, the use of a Neutral wire. While the NEMA 14-50 50amp outlet/plug CAN make use of the Neutral, for other uses, most folks will wire it that way - but, I absolutely see that you, as a homeowner, can do what you wish, if there is no inspection process. I do the same myself. If this same 50amp outlet had no Neutral, then there would be no discussion here - but, because it does, and can be used for other 'unbalanced' devices, most will agree that wiring that way might be best.
In the same vain, the normal 'everyday' 3 prong grounded household outlet is the same... it has wired a ground, although there are quite a few devices, phone charger bricks, etc., that do NOT use that ground, yet the outlet is wired with it, regardless, just in case.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)

You could buy or make one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Morec-Welding-Charger-Connector-Connecter/dp/B083LRJ4DP

That'd let you install a code compliant 6-50R with 6/2 and plug your 14-50 EVSE into it. Kinda sucks to spend more to save a bit of money on wiring, but it's stlll a win. Alternatively you could cut the 14-50P end off the EVSE and wire on a 6-50P, but it would likely hurt resale especially if you have to explain it to someone. It would also keep you from using a 14-50R as a source for charging at RV parks.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER

That'd let you install a code compliant 6-50R with 6/2 and plug your 14-50 EVSE into it. Kinda sucks to spend more to save a bit of money on wiring, but it's stlll a win. Alternatively you could cut the 14-50P end off the EVSE and wire on a 6-50P, but it would likely hurt resale especially if you have to explain it to someone. It would also keep you from using a 14-50R as a source for charging at RV parks.
I think the plug on the FMC includes a temperature sensor. There is a fault light combo that resolves to “overheated plug” or something like that. I wouldn’t modify the cord.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

I’m still wondering if the mobile charger requires the neutral for it to work.
At this point I’m inclined to spend the extra $$ for the 6/3 Romex and wire in a NEMA 14-50 outlet and then run 6/2 a couple of feet to hardwire in the ChargePoint.

If the mobile charger doesn’t require a neutral then it would be nice ifFord would offer a 6-50 plug as an alternative.
Sponsored

Last edited: