• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging speed of the F150L might be too slow

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I have had next to no issues in filling my ICE truck when pulling a trailer as I pick out pumps that have more accessibility. The pictures posted all showed multiple parallel car sized spots that if you were in a truck pulling a trailer you would have to occupy a half dozen to charge up your vehicle. Not ideal by any means, just like disconnecting and reconnecting the trailer is not an activity I would want to have to do every time I charge up the truck (although would be much easier on a truck today with a camera to view ball hitch location vs. no camera with my 2002 truck today).
Just like you said with your ICE, with an electric truck with a trailer you would pick out a spot with more accessibility. Unless you have actual experience charging an electric truck with a trailer, I would be careful about making statements about what can and can’t be done when charging an electric truck with a trailer. Regardless of what you think you see in those pictures, there should usually be a way to get your truck with a trailer up next to one of the chargers without blocking off access to all the other chargers.
Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
On the Ford site they said the optional camera package is for unhitching trailer so you can then charge. So far, I've never seen a pull through EVSE except in advertisements for the F150 EV. Maybe half could support a sort of pull in and back up but that isn't overly safe.

I personally wouldn't believe it would be convenient to use the F150 EV on any long travel unless retired and not in a hurry. Attempting to drive my current EV 20 miles beyond it's EPA range forces me to charge for 45 minutes just to be safe. The Guess O Meter on dash is just a guess.

Looking at Rivian site they are supposed to be offering the van and a collection of chargers. One charger is a DC charger on an overhead trolley to sort of keep it out of the way.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Ford could be limiting at 150kW now as their safety margin until more data and testing has been done on the packs. Just like with the MachE they adjusted the amount of battery usable as well as the charging curve. The same thing can happen with the F150L. For all we know we could get an extra 50miles in a year or two from a smaller buffer zone on the battery if data allows it (and ford built in a bigger than normal one to protect themselves from a ton of warranty claims.)

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
All these pictured charging stations will be pretty worthless for anyone driving a truck and towing a trailer.
The pix were answer the question of how many stalls, someone mistakenly thought they were all just four stalls each, and the charge rate, 150kWh is the charge rate for 80%, 10% are 350kW and 10% 50kW legacy Chademo. The topic speculated the F150EV at 150kW capable charging was too slow, that is not the case.

On a new topic of charging position, the pix show 2/10 of the EA charging stations are drive through but most are going to be along the curb and head or back in. One could drive the truck/trailer in if the back end is not blocking others (sticking out a bit is not blocking them in in a big parking lot such as the pic of the drive thru at the Walmart). Other than that, you would have to plan to unhitch for 80% of fast DC chargers.

Ski trip to Park City from PDX takes 12 hours in the Subaru. 15 hours in the Model 3 Tesla with 300 mile range.

Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
The 150kWh charging max on the lighting is really making me question buying this first generation lightning. I wouldn't have thought about it, but we recently picked up a Taycan Cross Turismo for the wife and the 300kVh/800v is 22 minutes to go from 5% to 80% charge on the 93kVh battery. Thinking the same thing will be twice as long in the lightning, gives me pause. Really wish Ford would surprise us and add the hardware, since there's no way just a software update will up the capacity of the onboard charger.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The 150kWh charging max on the lighting is really making me question buying this first generation lightning. I wouldn't have thought about it, but we recently picked up a Taycan Cross Turismo for the wife and the 300kVh/800v is 22 minutes to go from 5% to 80% charge on the 93kVh battery. Thinking the same thing will be twice as long in the lightning, gives me pause. Really wish Ford would surprise us and add the hardware, since there's no way just a software update will up the capacity of the onboard charger.
I very highly doubt they wouls change that at this point - it would be a whole new battery and power electronics design.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
Too many folks focus on peak charging speeds. What's much more important is how flat the charging curve is from 5-80%.

My Model 3 Performance can charge at 250 kW but it's only a minute or two faster to 80% than if I had charged at a slower 150 kW supercharger.

If the Lightning can hold close to 150 kW all the way to 80% that would be a win in my book.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Mach E supposed to have an update to make charge flat to 80% was reported on one website. If so, I'd think F150 would be out the gate like that.

Garbone

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MachE, Explorer,C10
I always charge at home as the rates are cheapest and I am there every night. Heck, as I sit here in my recliner drinking a cold frosty my car is outside gobbling down electrons. It will be full in the morning just like it was this morning so yup, not to concerned about DC charging rates. I put this under the range anxiety tab of stuff I worried about until I realized it did not really apply to me since I am not an over the road driver or traveling salesman.

Sponsored

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Some folks take their EVs out on road trips, it's nice to know how quickly your car can add 200+ miles of range.

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Really wish Ford would surprise us and add the hardware, since there's no way just a software update will up the capacity of the onboard charger.
DCFC bypasses the onboard charger, so yes, a change to DC charging speed can be made in software. Tesla actually decreased their charging speed with an OTA update on some of the older cars.

A Model 3 with a 75kwh battery can charge at 250kw for a while before tapering off. That's a nice 3.3C rate. Hopefully the F150L should be able to charge at half that C rate (1.6C - up to 250kw) which will make charging stops more reasonable.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Not sure the F150 would end up being different than the Mach E.

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not sure the F150 would end up being different than the Mach E.
The main difference between the Mach-E and the Lightning is battery capacity. If both vehicles are limited to 150kW this means the Lightning should have less heating issues from DC fast charging, and be able to charge at a higher rate for longer.

Edit: I'm of the opinion that it's alright if the Lightning's charging speed's limited to "only" 150kW as long as it can sustain that power for along time.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
That is why I was trying to convey. That the Mach-E is supposed to be updated to allow full or nearly full charge up to 80%. That is really a big deal. Most EV's drop at 50%.
Sponsored