• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging speed of the F150L might be too slow

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
No one knows the battery size yet but I think insidevs estimated it at 155kwh usable 180kwh total for the extended range.
2021.5.20-Ford-EV-Charging-C-02.jpeg

Either way the Ford marketing materials seem up front about this truck being relatively slow to charge compared to other products on the market. I think the infographic they chose puts it at 44 minutes DC fast charge to usable.
The problem with charging a relatively inefficient vehicle like the F150L is that it takes more juice to go an equivalent distance. I am surprised to see such a low C rating for charging (perhaps not even 1C) when the newest EVs can pour in 3 - 3.5C such as the latest Model S or X. You need the higher C rating to charge fast when you only have 400V to work with. The Lucid and Audi/Porsche platforms are 800V and need less current to charge at the same kw.

I'm coming from an older Model S that starts around 100kw at 10% SoC and tapers to 30kw by the time I get to 80%. That's not great, but I can live with it as I don't take too many full day trips, even with only 243 rated miles of range.
Sponsored

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
I think Ford Engineers have already accounted for this and will improve charging speeds as more Lightnings are in the hands of owners. Pretty much the more data they get the better. I mean the other option is just keep testing and forget about releasing the Lightning anytime soon.
I think you are exactly right on this. Darren Palmer hinted as much in one of the interviews, I think it was on electrek shortly after the reveal. “Let me tell you that we’re going to increase charging speed OTA as soon as we see that the battery is holding up really well IRL …without actually telling you “.

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Since I’m reservationist number 100,000+, it’s going to be at least a couple of years before they build my truck. Hopefully by then Ford will have this charging speed sorted out.

P.S., I just watched a video where Darren Palmer stated there is a “plus” sign behind the 150 kW charging rate of the F150L, so maybe it will be able to charge at 800V. I sure will feel a lot better if it can. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Thepaperlion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis
The Silverado is going to have 800V charging, so ford will have to make that switch at some point. I am buying the base pro model and will sell that when there are more choices in the market with better range and charging speed.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
I think you are exactly right on this. Darren Palmer hinted as much in one of the interviews, I think it was on electrek shortly after the reveal. “Let me tell you that we’re going to increase charging speed OTA as soon as we see that the battery is holding up really well IRL …without actually telling you “.
Thats what they've done with the Mach E. Also they are adjusting the charging curve so it drops off at 90% vs 80% so its more useful for road trips.

Its a fine line....the less buffer and higher speed the less sure about reliability--shortens battery life. If the batteries hold up and/or research indicates people are not DCFC and not taking the battery from 0-->100% Ford will feel better about offering a bit more usable % of the battery pack. An estimated 25 KwH buffer is rather large(155/180)

That's what I got from Darren Palmer's interview on INside EVs. I mean MME is up to what 91 Kwh usable/98.Kwh pack. (Thats up from 88Kwh at launch)

Last edited:

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
This stuff is all new. I assume Ford might get some real world info from it's Rivian stake.
The Atlas truck company claims some quite high recharge times and speeds but we haven't seen it.

The problem now is that every EV makes a claim of speed of charge. It assumes you can safely run EV down to a very low number, pull into a charger and power up to 60-80% then go. If you already loose 10-20% range on bottom of battery and can't wait to charge at top end then the guys wife is correct. He should order the full reclining seat option so she can take a nap or forget the truck. In it's current design I'd don't see it driving across the country with a trailer.

It could be a good tool for those that use a truck around town each day and those that use a truck like a car.

I suspect that the truck will average 2 miles per Kwh mpge.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I guess it depends on what type of trailer you’re pulling. If you’re a hot shot truck driver pushing 16 hours a day then maybe you don’t want to sit around while the truck charges but if you’re pulling an RV you can camp out in the RV while charging.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
There aren't that many 800V/350kW chargers out there right either are there?
Typically all EA charger stations have 1 x 350kW for Porsche, Hyundai, Kia and other 800V EV's and one 50kW Chademo/CCS1 for legacy cars like Leaf and Tesla.

On charging, I believe top charging rate for MachE and F150 is 150kWh.

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Typically all EA charger stations have 1 x 350kW for Porsche, Hyundai, Kia and other 800V EV's and one 50kW Chademo/CCS1 for legacy cars like Leaf and Tesla.

On charging, I believe top charging rate for MachE and F150 is 150kWh.
I hate to dispute you but you don’t have it right regarding EA charging station. All EA stations have at least 4 chargers. The stations outside of designated cities have two 350 kW CCS chargers, one 150 kW CCS charger and one 50 kW CHAdeMO/150 kW CCS charger. I must have charged at least 50 EA stations and they are all like that.

If you don’t believe me look at station information on PlugShare or the EA apps.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I hate to dispute you but you don’t have it right regarding EA charging station. All EA stations have at least 4 chargers. The stations outside of designated cities have two 350 kW CCS chargers, one 150 kW CCS charger and one 50 kW CHAdeMO/150 kW CCS charger. I must have charged at least 50 EA stations and they are all like that.

If you don’t believe me look at station information on PlugShare or the EA apps.
For us lay people, can you please translate to plain English? Us newbies are still learning and the jargon is confusing.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
EA: Electrify America - charging service provider established under the Volkswagen Diesel-Gate reparation.

CCS: Combined Charging System -fast charging standard adopted by American and European auto manufacturers.

CHAdeMO: fast charging standard adopted by Japanese auto manufacturers.

kW: kilowatt

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I must have charged at least 50 EA stations and they are all like that.
Guess ours are a bit different though you did confirm my point that EA typically has 350kW, 150kW and 50kW chargers with 150 being the majority. To this topic, I believe the F150EV's max charge rate is 150kW.

We also have the four bangers.

Last edited:

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Pretty sure EA used to have smaller sites and had only 50Kw charge ability. One in Round Rock was opposite the EvGo units so I had a choice.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
The Silverado is going to have 800V charging, so ford will have to make that switch at some point. I am buying the base pro model and will sell that when there are more choices in the market with better range and charging speed.
Source?

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Pretty sure EA used to have smaller sites and had only 50Kw charge ability.
Have not seen an EA site like that every one here is at least four and that would be 1 x 350kW, 2 x 150kW and 1 x 50kW. The over four chargers, most in our area, add more 150kW's.
Sponsored