• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging speed of the F150L might be too slow

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
TheTechnical Specifications states that the ER 150L states that it add 54 miles in 10 minutes and I’m guessing that it will have something like a 120 kWh battery pack. My Niro EV charges at 47 miles in 10 minutes and has a 64 kWh pack. Where as, the Kia EV6 has a 74 kWh battery pack and charges at 117 miles in 10 minutes.

My wife has always been reluctant to take long trips in my EVs because she doesn’t want to wait while the car charges. With the F150L only charging marginally faster than my Niro EV I’m not sure I will be able to get her to take trips in it with me. I have always understood that EV charging speed is limited by the battery pack size but Ford doesn’t seem interested yet in keeping up with the latest technology in charging speed.

Although the charging speed of my Niro EV is generations better than that of the EVs I have had before, I still have to spend several hours charging on the trips I make to Colorado every year. I’m not sure I can justify buying another EV that doesn’t have a charging speed significantly higher than the EV I have now. I keep hoping that the charging speed numbers are just preliminary and the charging speeds will be much higher when the real numbers come out.

If the F150L doesn’t go into production with a significantly higher charging speed than what Ford is currently advertising, I might have to pull my reservation.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Based on everything you just said, isn't the Ford right about where the technology currently is?
I didn't think the new truck was breaking any kind of technology barrier, other than simply being a fresh platform for an EV, and having an unexpected entry price.

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
The F150L charges at 400V. At least half of all Electrify America chargers are 800V chargers and can charge twice as fast as the 400V chargers.. With the size battery pack the F150L has it should be charging at 800V.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Which current EVs charge at 800V?

I'm asking because I know very little. The F150 EV is the first that has me suddenly EV compatible. :)

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Which current EVs charge at 800V?

I'm asking because I know very little. The F150 EV is the first that has me suddenly EV compatible. :)
Right now I think the Porsche taycan is the only one. The Kia ev6/ Hyundai ioniq 5 will have 800v charging.
If there's anything else, it's probably in the Audi e-tron family. Maybe the lucid or Rivian, but those really aren't available in any numbers.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Right now I think the Porsche taycan is the only one. The Kia ev6/ Hyundai ioniq 5 will have 800v charging.
If there's anything else, it's probably in the Audi e-tron family. Maybe the lucid or Rivian, but those really aren't available in any numbers.
There aren't that many 800V/350kW chargers out there right either are there? In fact, 150kW is doing pretty good in comparison to the cheaper 50kW-62.5kW Chargepoint "fast" charging installations popular for sites being funded with VW penalty dollars given to states.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
I think Ford Engineers have already accounted for this and will improve charging speeds as more Lightnings are in the hands of owners. Pretty much the more data they get the better. I mean the other option is just keep testing and forget about releasing the Lightning anytime soon.

Sponsored

rtw819

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150L Lariat ER, '23 MME Sel AWD, '19 Niro EV
Yep, you hit it with the Lucid Air. 900V+ at 300kW (per the manual and website), touting up to 20 miles per minute.
The Lucid Air Is the Fastest Charging EV Ever | Lucid Motors

Averaged 155kW gaining 80kWH in 31:02, at 14% to 77% SoC for 128 miles of range.
Lucid Air User Shows DC Fast Charging Peak At Over 250 kW (insideevs.com)

Edit: Added Inside EV article from last Wednesday

Last edited:

Wolf Man

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I think she has the right idea. If you can't charge you truck's battery just deploy the sail! ?

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging speed of the F150L might be too slow truck sail

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
If the F150L doesn’t go into production with a significantly higher charging speed than what Ford is currently advertising, I might have to pull my reservation.
Please don't cancel - sell your reservation spot to people who really wants one!

For what Ford has done to come out with a mass produced EV ahead of other big manufacturers: Chrysler & GM; is just amazing at the consumer price points that the masses can afford...

Speed of charge availability (L1, L2, DCFC) for a consumer affordable EV is quite a feat in my book as I come from my first EV car with a tiny 17kWh battery (PHEV) and charging at a blazing 3 hours for a full charge using L2 that costed $35,000 in 2018....

Can't wait for the $40,000 Ford F150 myself!

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Please don't cancel - sell your reservation spot to people who really wants one!

For what Ford has done to come out with a mass produced EV ahead of other big manufacturers: Chrysler & GM; is just amazing at the consumer price points that the masses can afford...

Speed of charge availability (L1, L2, DCFC) for a consumer affordable EV is quite a feat in my book as I come from my first EV car with a tiny 17kWh battery (PHEV) and charging at a blazing 3 hours for a full charge using L2 that costed $35,000 in 2018....

Can't wait for the $40,000 Ford F150 myself!
What car was that?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
No one knows the battery size yet but I think insidevs estimated it at 155kwh usable 180kwh total for the extended range.
Ford F-150 Lightning Charging speed of the F150L might be too slow 2021.5.20-Ford-EV-Charging-C-02

Either way the Ford marketing materials seem up front about this truck being relatively slow to charge compared to other products on the market. I think the infographic they chose puts it at 44 minutes DC fast charge to usable.
Sponsored

Last edited: