• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging speed of the F150L might be too slow

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I guess it depends on what type of trailer you’re pulling. If you’re a hot shot truck driver pushing 16 hours a day then maybe you don’t want to sit around while the truck charges but if you’re pulling an RV you can camp out in the RV while charging.
If you're driving 16 hour days, this truck isn't for you.
Understanding the limitations of the tool and using it within it's design parameters will make you a much more satisfied user. Trying to consistently use it exceeding it's limitations can possibly be done, but will probably cause headaches.
Sponsored

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
How many miles do you plan to drive in day? I did some math in another thread. lots of variables if range will be 300 miles or more when loaded with luggage. but start at 7am with full battery and a 15 minutes top off and pee break and you can drove close to 5 hours and 375 miles by lunch time. take a 40 minute lunch and you get 200 more miles or 3 hours of driving. takes you to 575 miles and 4pm. 10 minite pee break after lunch gives you another 50 miles and gets you 625 and dinner. that is plenty for me. find a decent destination charger and you are good by morning. i am sure you can challenge some of my msth but start full, take a decent lunch and a pee break on each side of lunch and truck will outlast me on nj to Florida. where the trucl looses is driver through night folks. but if you top out around 600 miles a day and can find charger at overnight stop o dont see a big change in habits

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
How many miles do you plan to drive in day? I did some math in another thread. lots of variables if range will be 300 miles or more when loaded with luggage. but start at 7am with full battery and a 15 minutes top off and pee break and you can drove close to 5 hours and 375 miles by lunch time. take a 40 minute lunch and you get 200 more miles or 3 hours of driving. takes you to 575 miles and 4pm. 10 minite pee break after lunch gives you another 50 miles and gets you 625 and dinner. that is plenty for me. find a decent destination charger and you are good by morning. i am sure you can challenge some of my msth but start full, take a decent lunch and a pee break on each side of lunch and truck will outlast me on nj to Florida. where the trucl looses is driver through night folks. but if you top out around 600 miles a day and can find charger at overnight stop o dont see a big change in habits
You can push it further than that as well if you add in dinner stop and charge before continuing on. That is pushing 800 - 850 miles for the day and ~15 -16 hours since you started.

personalt

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma / Cayenne
You can push it further than that as well if you add in dinner stop and charge before continuing on. That is pushing 800 - 850 miles for the day and ~15 -16 hours since you started.
Agree. If I did the NJ to Florida drive I would be about 1200 miles. I am not doing that straight in a gas truck. I am good at 600 miles in a day. The real barriers are
1)Finding 150 kilowatt DC charger and food together at least at lunch and pee stops
2)Finding 48 kilowatt charger for the overnight charge (if you don't do dinner at a DC fast charge location)

The chargers in NC/SC/GA all seem to be in Walmart or SAMS Clubs with 3 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO with a 90kw and a 350kw hour price. Would I be able to use either of those two types with F150 and likely get the 150 max?

Last edited:

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Guess ours are a bit different though you did confirm my point that EA typically has 350kW, 150kW and 50kW chargers with 150 being the majority. To this topic, I believe the F150EV's max charge rate is 150kW.

We also have the four bangers.

All these pictured charging stations will be pretty worthless for anyone driving a truck and towing a trailer. Really surprised to find those putting these charging stations in are totally ignoring the subset of the F150 Lightning group that will be towing from time to time along with those driving Rivians and the Electric Silverado.

Sponsored

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
There aren't that many 800V/350kW chargers out there right either are there? In fact, 150kW is doing pretty good in comparison to the cheaper 50kW-62.5kW Chargepoint "fast" charging installations popular for sites being funded with VW penalty dollars given to states.
Here's a pic of all the 350kW EA charger locations in the US as of a few weeks ago.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging speed of the F150L might be too slow 800v-

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
The chargers in NC/SC/GA all seem to be in Walmart or SAMS Clubs with 3 CCS and 1 CHAdeMO with a 90kw and a 350kw hour price. Would I be able to use either of those two types with F150 and likely get the 150 max?
Yes, Electrify America interstate-adjacent sites generally have 1 or 2 350kW plugs, and the rest 150kW.

The Lightning will pull ~150kW from any of them, even the 350kW ones. It will just ask for less power.

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
All these pictured charging stations will be pretty worthless for anyone driving a truck and towing a trailer. Really surprised to find those putting these charging stations in are totally ignoring the subset of the F150 Lightning group that will be towing from time to time along with those driving Rivians and the Electric Silverado.
Well, at least some of the sites pictured look like you could pull thru. With a trailer you’d still be blocking another charger, but at least you wouldn’t be blocking half the parking lot. I agree this is far from ideal, maybe we need to let EA know so they can consider this for future sites.

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
I have driven my Niro EV more than 800 miles in a single day several times. I see no reason why the F150L couldn’t make those same trips in a single day. Pulling a trailer would take longer with slower highway speeds and charging difficulties but, with a second driver, you might be able to do 800+ miles in a single 24-hr period.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I have driven my Niro EV more than 800 miles in a single day several times. I see no reason why the F150L couldn’t make those same trips in a single day. Pulling a trailer would take longer with slower highway speeds and charging difficulties but, with a second driver, you might be able to do 800+ miles in a single 24-hr period.
Probably a good comparison, because a Niro and a Lightning (without trailer) are probably pretty close for travel time. F-150 has approximately double the max charge rate in kW (75kW vs 150kW), but also about half the efficiency (4 mi/kWh vs 2 mi/kWh), so the effective charge rate is probably pretty similar (mi/min).

Sponsored
OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
You think ICE trucks pulling a trailer don’t have the same problem filling up? If you’re driving a diesel truck you can fill up at a truck stop but a gas truck pulling a trailer has some significant challenges filling up. If you are charging at a Walmart or similar location you can always disconnect the trailer and charge up with just the truck.

OP
OP

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Probably a good comparison, because a Niro and a Lightning (without trailer) are probably pretty close for travel time. F-150 has approximately double the max charge rate in kW (75kW vs 150kW), but also about half the efficiency (4 mi/kWh vs 2 mi/kWh), so the effective charge rate is probably pretty similar (mi/min).
I’ve calculated the EPA charge rate for my Niro EV at 47 miles per 10 minutes compared to the EPA charge rate of 54 miles per 10 minutes for the ER F150L.

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
You think ICE trucks pulling a trailer don’t have the same problem filling up? If you’re driving a diesel truck you can fill up at a truck stop but a gas truck pulling a trailer has some significant challenges filling up. If you are charging at a Walmart or similar location you can always disconnect the trailer and charge up with just the truck.
I have had next to no issues in filling my ICE truck when pulling a trailer as I pick out pumps that have more accessibility. The pictures posted all showed multiple parallel car sized spots that if you were in a truck pulling a trailer you would have to occupy a half dozen to charge up your vehicle. Not ideal by any means, just like disconnecting and reconnecting the trailer is not an activity I would want to have to do every time I charge up the truck (although would be much easier on a truck today with a camera to view ball hitch location vs. no camera with my 2002 truck today).

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
I won't be too worried that the charge speed's limited to 150kW as long as this means the charge curve ends up being relatively flat all the way to 80%. If we're charging our vehicles at <1C then that's pretty darn good for longevity.

Edit: I bet the 150kW DCFC limit's due to the fact that we don't really have 400VDC stations which charge at higher rates. I wonder if the Tesla->CCS1 adapters for Superchargers will be rated beyond 150kW when they come out.

Last edited:

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I won't be too worried that the charge speed's limited to 150kW as long as this means the charge curve ends up being relatively flat all the way to 80%. If we're charging our vehicles at <1C then that's pretty darn good for longevity.
Based on the info from Ford so far, I'd say it's basically right at 150kW all the way from 15% to 80%.
Sponsored