• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging speed of the F150L might be too slow

MnLakeBum

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Range Rover diesel, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Retired
That is why I was trying to convey. That the Mach-E is supposed to be updated to allow full or nearly full charge up to 80%. That is really a big deal. Most EV's drop at 50%.
Here's an article on real world Mach E charge rates. In this example, 38 minutes to go from 29% to 81% charge. The F150L will take longer because it has a larger battery and being less aerodynamic, requires more Kw per mile.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...fast-does-the-ford-ev-charge-up-on-road-trips
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Here's an article on real world Mach E charge rates. In this example, 38 minutes to go from 29% to 81% charge. The F150L will take longer because it has a larger battery and being less aerodynamic, requires more Kw per mile.

https://www.greencarreports.com/new...fast-does-the-ford-ev-charge-up-on-road-trips
Not necessarily - the larger battery back work for you as well because it will heat up slower allowing them to maintain a higher charging rate for longer (charging isn't a straight line - it is a curve the ramps down as temperatures increase and charge levels increase. Also, the Mach-e (until very recently) had a hard cliff at 80% charge with anything above that taking much longer - down to L2 speeds. The last 1% in the example would have taken 6-7 minutes by itself.

Ford is advertising very similar charging times for the Mach-e and Lightning.

MnLakeBum

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Range Rover diesel, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Retired
Not necessarily - the larger battery back work for you as well because it will heat up slower allowing them to maintain a higher charging rate for longer (charging isn't a straight line - it is a curve the ramps down as temperatures increase and charge levels increase. Also, the Mach-e (until very recently) had a hard cliff at 80% charge with anything above that taking much longer - down to L2 speeds. The last 1% in the example would have taken 6-7 minutes by itself.

Ford is advertising very similar charging times for the Mach-e and Lightning.
The Mach-e has acceptable charge times but those coming from an ICE vehicle that take long trips will have some adjusting to do waiting for 40+ minutes so they can drive another 150-200 miles. The new Porsche/Audi/VW 800v system seems like the best option for those who drive long distances but in many areas it will take a few years before the 800 volt charging stations are plentiful.

We've had our Model S for almost 7 years but luckily we don't ever drive more than about 150 miles at a time so we've only needed to use a Supercharger about 15 times in the last 4 years. This time of year I love the fact that each morning I've got a full "tank" and don't have to stop and fill up with our average winter temperature at 19º. I filled up my wife's diesel Range Rover recently in -10º F winchill and it reminded me why we spend so much time in Florida in the winter. :)

Last edited:

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The ability to have a full tank in the morning for the vast majority of owners is a huge feature. It is one reason the build back great plan needs to consider how they might need to place chargers in the future. Why add stuff no one needs.

Seageo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60, ID.4
Ford could be limiting at 150kW now as their safety margin until more data and testing has been done on the packs. Just like with the MachE they adjusted the amount of battery usable as well as the charging curve. The same thing can happen with the F150L. For all we know we could get an extra 50miles in a year or two from a smaller buffer zone on the battery if data allows it (and ford built in a bigger than normal one to protect themselves from a ton of warranty claims.)
Except the lightning battery is significantly bigger. The charging rate relative to the battery size would probably be the worst of any significant EV produced since 2020 that I can recall. Are we sure Ford isn't just quoting charging times at 150kW chargers because that's the minimum DC charging EA has? Ie, it may pull 200kW on a 300 kW charger, but they don't want people buying the truck thinking they'll *always* get 200kW and then complain when they plug it into a 150kW charger?

Basically, are we sure they aren't just setting expectations low? Genuine question, I haven't been following this super closely lately.

That is why I was trying to convey. That the Mach-E is supposed to be updated to allow full or nearly full charge up to 80%. That is really a big deal. Most EV's drop at 50%.
My understanding was that the Mach e charging curve revision wasn't keeping 150 to 80%, but fixing the DC charging above 80%. Because they prematurely had it drop off a cliff and charge at like 12kW for no reason. Did I miss something?

Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
My understanding was that the Mach e charging curve revision wasn't keeping 150 to 80%, but fixing the DC charging above 80%. Because they prematurely had it drop off a cliff and charge at like 12kW for no reason. Did I miss something?
Yes, that's correct. The update fixes the 80% charging cliff. I haven't seen any of the usual YouTubers do a post-update charging test, but found a video here.

The F150L ER would have to average about 130 kW to achieve a 15%-80% charge in the promised 41 minutes. I suspect they're underpromising on range and charging speed, but we'll have to wait for the real-world tests.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
The two EV's I've had would limit the highest DC rates at 50%. Then drop to almost nothing at 90%.
This is a huge deal to any user who tries or needs to use fast charging. Even the solid state battery claims limit their claims as 15%-80% in 15 minutes. I'd guess. To put that into perspective an ICE truck owner may go way lower into tank (since a gas station is everywhere) and unless just bought food they would also fill up. So even if this truck would go 400 miles, one won't be able to do that in a charge outside of a test track.

hhulseman

First Name
Herb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Chevy Volt
Don't use the Mach-e performance to predict Lightning performance. They are completely different. Mach-e battery pack comes from LG Chem. Lightning battery pack comes from SK Innovation and is a completely different capacity and design.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Don't use the Mach-e performance to predict Lightning performance. They are completely different. Mach-e battery pack comes from LG Chem. Lightning battery pack comes from SK Innovation and is a completely different capacity and design.
This is a very true statement.
Sponsored