• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Charging prices and why

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Key words: everywhere it could. That's roughly half the states.
Actually only three or four states. Tesla has the same issue where some states don't let you charger by kWh. You can look at the Tesla charger rates to research it. It's not many.

CA recently required the per kWh pricing which prompted EA to say it was moving to the per kWh nationwide.

Rate is $0.31 which matches up to Tesla's.
Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Actually only three or four states. Tesla has the same issue where some states don't let you charger by kWh. You can look at the Tesla charger rates to research it. It's not many.
I listed 5 actual states where EA actually charges by min. You come back that it's only 3 or 4 states, which is demonstrably false.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
This article answers cost per state.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I listed 5 actual states where EA actually charges by min.
Eyup not many as EA has stated it was going to per kWh pricing nationally last year. Most of the states that require charge by hour are changing the outdated regs which were not written with EV charging in mind.

"According to Electrify America, more than 78% of the charging on its cross-country network takes place where the new pricing will be implemented."

For someone planning to buy a Ford F150 EV in 2022, they should budget the $0.31 per kWh pricing if they are using public charging.

Last edited:

Jhalkias

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E, 2019 Fusion Energi, 2016 Escape
Ohio is even more backward than TN. Vehicle registration here for a hybrid is an extra $100, any PHEV or BEV is an extra $200! We have my Mach E, and my wife drives a Fusion Energi. The Energi only goes 25 miles on a charge, but we still get an extra $200 fee for registration. Even though we still use gas in that car. Even though she only drives about 8,000 miles a year now due to working from home. It is ridiculous.
They have to figure out a way to make this work that is equitable. You are punished in Ohio for driving an EV.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
Tesla is supposedly opening all of its superchargers to all EVs next year. I’m hoping this applies to the F150..

Reactions: TRP

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Tesla is supposedly opening all of its superchargers to all EVs next year. I’m hoping this applies to the F150..
Musk is nothing if not a business genius.. opening his charging network to all EVs should allow him to get a chunk of that new EV infrastructure bill. ;-)

All he really needs to do is unlock the tesla-only handshake restriction on his chargers. Plus, he'll be able to market his own Tesla to CCS adapter.

biers

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf
This is only in Norway where they already have CCS cables on their Superchargers. In the US they use the proprietary supercharger plug. They could do the same in the Us but highly unlikely for a while. It’s a huge advantage for Tesla.

euchre_u

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GX460, RX350, EX35
Occupation
Old Farmer - Outstanding in my field
Okay, let's say a year from now that I have a F-150 Lightning. I just pulled into a (random) charging station that is NOT at a Ford dealer because my truck told me that I have 10% of a charge left.

How much will it cost me to "fill up" my F-150 Lightning - in both dollars and time (fast charge and slow charge times, please). Go ahead and use the $0.31 per KwH rate, so as to avoid the 'well, how much does the charging station charge you?' question.

Thanks . . . .

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Okay, let's say a year from now that I have a F-150 Lightning. I just pulled into a (random) charging station that is NOT at a Ford dealer because my truck told me that I have 10% of a charge left.

How much will it cost me to "fill up" my F-150 Lightning - in both dollars and time (fast charge and slow charge times, please). Go ahead and use the $0.31 per KwH rate, so as to avoid the 'well, how much does the charging station charge you?' question.

Thanks . . . .
If my math is correct....

Based on the estimate of net 115kWh for the standard battery, and net 155kWh for the extended. Assuming you have 10% left as you stated, you are looking at $32.09 for the standard battery and $43.25 for the extended (assuming the high rate of $0.31kWh).

Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
To charge at home is even better!

In my state of Oregon (ranked 19th least expensive state), the average cost of electricity is $0.1101 (from the article I posted above). That means to recharge from 10% its only $11.40 for the standard and $15.36 for the extended (or $0.0512 per mile assuming 300 miles of range) at home.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro

Thanks . . . .
This is the best info we have at the moment:

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging prices and why Capture1.PNG

That gets you to 80%.

If the Mach E is any indication, you don't want to sit around waiting to charge to 100%. It drops off a cliff down to only ~10kW after 80%, which is only going to get you ~20 miles of range per hour on a Lightning.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging prices and why Capture1.PNG

You're MUCH better off moving along to your next charger/destination unless you HAVE to have the last 20% to get there.

Hopefully, the charging profile improves on the Mach E and Lightning before then, AND the Lightning may end up charging faster than the Mach E based on the substantially larger batteries, too. Hard to say at this point. But, it definitely looks like you're going to want to move along rather than keep charging after 80%.

As far as "slow charging", if you mean "240V", then that will *probably* cost you less than $0.31/kWh, but you can see it will also take a long, long time. Many public "Level 2" charging stations are actually only 200V and ~32A, so just 6.4kW, which means you're looking at that slowest level: 14hrs for Standard Range, 19hrs for Extended Range.

Also, just realized that the Lightning Spec Sheet has a typo, saying "32A/240W" when it should say "240V".

euchre_u

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GX460, RX350, EX35
Occupation
Old Farmer - Outstanding in my field
This is the best info we have at the moment:

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging prices and why {filename}

That gets you to 80%.

If the Mach E is any indication, you don't want to sit around waiting to charge to 100%. It drops off a cliff down to only ~10kW after 80%, which is only going to get you ~20 miles of range per hour on a Lightning.

Ford F-150 Lightning Charging prices and why {filename}

You're MUCH better off moving along to your next charger/destination unless you HAVE to have the last 20% to get there.

Hopefully, the charging profile improves on the Mach E and Lightning before then, AND the Lightning may end up charging faster than the Mach E based on the substantially larger batteries, too. Hard to say at this point. But, it definitely looks like you're going to want to move along rather than keep charging after 80%.

As far as "slow charging", if you mean "240V", then that will *probably* cost you less than $0.31/kWh, but you can see it will also take a long, long time. Many public "Level 2" charging stations are actually only 200V and ~32A, so just 6.4kW, which means you're looking at that slowest level: 14hrs for Standard Range, 19hrs for Extended Range.

Also, just realized that the Lightning Spec Sheet has a typo, saying "32A/240W" when it should say "240V".

Okay to summarize the above comments in order to "fill up" a F-150 Lightning, it's $45, and it will take 45 mins (to get to 80% charge) . . . . Which on an ER model is might get a range of +/- 300 miles?

In my experience, most current U.S. vehicles are pegged at around 300 miles of range for a tank of gas (generally), and a fill-up at a gas station takes around 10 mins (+/-) . . .

Interesting . . . .

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Okay to summarize the above comments in order to "fill up" a F-150 Lightning, it's $45, and it will take 45 mins (to get to 80% charge) . . . . Which on an ER model is might get a range of +/- 300 miles?

In my experience, most current U.S. vehicles are pegged at around 300 miles of range for a tank of gas (generally), and a fill-up at a gas station takes around 10 mins (+/-) . . .

Interesting . . . .
However the majority of these drivers will be using their Homes as their "gas station" for these EVs with overnight recharge being the majority of it. Meaning no real wait time. The 45 minute wait applies to the times where in a single drive or round trip (if you can't top off at your destination) you need to fill up on the go. ICE Drivers have to spend 10 minutes to fill up no matter what.

wingfiry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER

Interesting . . . .
actually, using the above math, going from 10% to 80% for the extended battery at $.31/kwh would be $33.64 (since you would be adding 70% of the total, which would be 108.5kwh)
Sponsored