• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Changing dealer after order in october

Alejandro90

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 dodge Dakota 2008 Ford Escape hybrid
Does anybody know what to do if you might move in the next year (or two or three) before taking delivery? I’m moving cross country late next year and unsure if I will be able to get my order fulfilled before moving. I was told by my dealer that we can change dealer up until the reservation becomes an order (presumably later this month) but then after that I would have to fly back to purchase as I’m locked in to them. That seems pretty intense given the timeframe we may be waiting. Has anyone heard otherwise?
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I would imagine that as long as the vehicle has not been scheduled for production Ford would probably be willing to work with you on this situation. As far as I know it's not advertised as a possibility but my thought would be that this isn't going to happen often and a case by case evaluation could be done.

Losi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Town and Country
Does anybody know what to do if you might move in the next year (or two or three) before taking delivery? I’m moving cross country late next year and unsure if I will be able to get my order fulfilled before moving. I was told by my dealer that we can change dealer up until the reservation becomes an order (presumably later this month) but then after that I would have to fly back to purchase as I’m locked in to them. That seems pretty intense given the timeframe we may be waiting. Has anyone heard otherwise?
This is an interesting question. My wife is in the military—there’s a good chance we’ll have to move next summer. I’m a July 24 reservation so nothing to worry about in my particular case but stranger things have happened I guess…

midmack

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VE Jetta, Chrysler Pacifica
Occupation
Family Physician
I was searching for the answer for this yesterday. After looking at the Bronco and Mach-E pages, there is a Ford FAQ that says if you change dealers after you order, you would have to talk with them to cancel your order and then place a new reservation, likely losing the spot.

I will be moving to VA from TX in July. I actually chose to move my reservation to Chapman Ford in Horsham, PA, due to their offer of 3% below invoice and no ADM. I hope mine will be delayed until I’m in VA and will make the 4 hour drive. I’m torn on what I would do if I get a call in March… for reference, I reserved on May 19.

When I asked them about it, they didn’t seem too worried about it. Seemed like there Would be a way to delay it or they would arrange shipping if needed. Any update @dealerinsider ? :)

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
I was searching for the answer for this yesterday. After looking at the Bronco and Mach-E pages, there is a Ford FAQ that says if you change dealers after you order, you would have to talk with them to cancel your order and then place a new reservation, likely losing the spot.

I will be moving to VA from TX in July. I actually chose to move my reservation to Chapman Ford in Horsham, PA, due to their offer of 3% below invoice and no ADM. I hope mine will be delayed until I’m in VA and will make the 4 hour drive. I’m torn on what I would do if I get a call in March… for reference, I reserved on May 19.

When I asked them about it, they didn’t seem too worried about it. Seemed like there Would be a way to delay it or they would arrange shipping if needed. Any update @dealerinsider ? :)
I'll hold on to it for you until you arrive in VA ?

Sponsored

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition

Worst case, you can arrange to have it shipped yourself.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Have you checked tax rate differences between the states ?

If you are currently in OR, I understand no sales tax, but if you move to say CA, then you will have to pay a hefty sales tax to DMV.

fitek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit 350EXT
Have you checked tax rate differences between the states ?

If you are currently in OR, I understand no sales tax, but if you move to say CA, then you will have to pay a hefty sales tax to DMV.
You can't get out of it. If you show up with CA ID and try to buy in OR, they'll tell you to register it yourself (and DMW will make you pay sales tax) or make you pay sales tax as part of the purchase. I've bought two cars out of state and both times I had to register it myself.

OP
OP

Alejandro90

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1996 dodge Dakota 2008 Ford Escape hybrid
Thanks for your advice everybody. Hopefully it's still possible to change once ordered but not yet put into production since that is likely to be a long window for most of us.

For the sales taxes I think the rule is that you need to have the vehicle registered at least three months in a state before switching registration or they will charge you sales tax when you re-register it in the new state. I was hoping to take delivery while still in Oregon partly for that reason!

RidetheLightning

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 C-Max Energi,'22 F150L Plat 8/1 build date
For the sales taxes I think the rule is that you need to have the vehicle registered at least three months in a state before switching registration or they will charge you sales tax when you re-register it in the new state. I was hoping to take delivery while still in Oregon partly for that reason!
If it’s California, I think based on what I have read you will find that it must be registered AND USED outside of California for at least one year. I wouldn’t let the truck touch California soil until at least 1 year after purchase and certainly keep it registered in Oregon. Not sure about other states. https://www.cdtfa.ca.gov/formspubs/pub452.pdf

Sponsored

RidetheLightning

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'13 C-Max Energi,'22 F150L Plat 8/1 build date
You can't get out of it. If you show up with CA ID and try to buy in OR, they'll tell you to register it yourself (and DMW will make you pay sales tax) or make you pay sales tax as part of the purchase. I've bought two cars out of state and both times I had to register it myself.
What if you own a second home in Oregon and the truck stays there? Not talking about investment property or a landlord sort of arrangement, talking about an actual residence there that you spend time at. That should count as an OR vehicle to be registered and used in Oregon, right?

Kachow2022

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
Anyone confirm that changing dealers means cancelling then placing another order (losing your reservation spot in line)?

I placed a reservation early second day, but the dealer here in Texas is playing games and telling me I’m 159 on their list. Given over 2100 ev certified dealers, that’s nearly impossible that my reservation would be in the top 44,500 (which was the announced number of orders for the first two days of reservations). Refuses to answer if my spot on their list is based on reservation time stamps or preferential treatment.

I didn’t expect to get it this year, but certainly didn’t expect to wait 3-4 years. At this rate I may be better off canceling and recording elsewhere rather than dealing with this dealer.

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Anyone confirm that changing dealers means cancelling then placing another order (losing your reservation spot in line)?

I placed a reservation early second day, but the dealer here in Texas is playing games and telling me I’m 159 on their list. Given over 2100 ev certified dealers, that’s nearly impossible that my reservation would be in the top 44,500 (which was the announced number of orders for the first two days of reservations). Refuses to answer if my spot on their list is based on reservation time stamps or preferential treatment.

I didn’t expect to get it this year, but certainly didn’t expect to wait 3-4 years. At this rate I may be better off canceling and recording elsewhere rather than dealing with this dealer.
You can change your dealer right now and save your place by time stamp, after their “prioritizations” if they ranked people. Call Ford to change. You can also call around to dealers and ask where you would fall if you did move. (if they will tell you.)
The cancel order comes up if you have been invited in a wave and actually placed an order.
Sponsored