Sponsored

Ceramic Coating requires top clear coat layer to be removed?

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Which Chemical Guys wax did you used before applying the ceramic coat (Carbon Force)?
Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
Ceramic Coating requires top clear coat layer to be removed?......
this ain’t happening on my truck....that’s crazy

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I say to each their own.

* If one really believes that a new factory truck - requires the top coat layer to be removed - then I have some ocean from Afgan property to seel you. It depends & 99% of the time does "NOT".
You have to know the condition of your vehicle and - make the necessary preprations.

I will wash the tuck by hand
Look for any swirl marks , i.e imperfections- most don't unless you have a shiity dealership who doesn't know how to prep for deliverly. If so a then a light clay bar will do the job
Then I'll give it a good hand wax
Then apply the coat of carbon force. I'll end up applying two coats of Carbon.

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed
I say to each their own.

* If one really believes that a new factory truck - requires the top coat layer to be removed - then I have some ocean from Afgan property to seel you. It depends & 99% of the time does "NOT".
You have to know the condition of your vehicle and - make the necessary preprations.

I will wash the tuck by hand
Look for any swirl marks , i.e imperfections- most don't unless you have a shiity dealership who doesn't know how to prep for deliverly. If so a then a light clay bar will do the job
Then I'll give it a good hand wax
Then apply the coat of carbon force. I'll end up applying two coats of Carbon.
Don’t apply wax before ceramic since that will effect it in a negative way because You want a clean canvas for the ceramic to adhere directly to paint. So if you claybar, polish or anything you should strip anything you put on with an ipa (isopropyl) or other branded decontamination spray (ipa is cheap and Highly effective). Read the direction of whatever ceramic you apply and most likely it will advise the same.

Sponsored

Norris McCarty

First Name
Norris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat 4x4 PB 7.2k FX4 17”Raptor Beadlocks
Occupation
Own a RV dealership
OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
The ceramic coating made a huge difference. It cleaned up very nicely with not much effort. I highly recommend

Ford F-150 Ceramic Coating requires top clear coat layer to be removed? F4113F32-AA75-42E4-8993-887E7E840627

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired

Sponsored

Margo17

First Name
Sandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch
just received my quote for ceramic coating which includes the windshield and rims $1500 CAD. now there is no removal of topcoat, as I asked specifically after reading this above but paint prep.

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
just received my quote for ceramic coating which includes the windshield and rims $1500 CAD. now there is no removal of topcoat, as I asked specifically after reading this above but paint prep.
That sounds like a good quote, the windshields I’m told can be very expensive

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Nice - it’s exactly what I’m going to do. Have all I need with Chemical Guys. Seen their application videos several time. All I need now is my fricken truck.
I also intend todo it myself, but with CarPro products. That is, if my truck ever does arrive. ☺

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Don’t apply wax before ceramic since that will effect it in a negative way because You want a clean canvas for the ceramic to adhere directly to paint. So if you claybar, polish or anything you should strip anything you put on with an ipa (isopropyl) or other branded decontamination spray (ipa is cheap and Highly effective). Read the direction of whatever ceramic you apply and most likely it will advise the same.
You are absolutely correct. You want a ceramic coating to adhere directly to the finish, not to some wax that will decay in a matter of weeks or months. I also agree to read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
A lot of this has already been said, but...
- Ceramic coating doesn't require any top layer of clear coat to be removed. You just need to correct any defects with a light abrasive, like Griot's BOSS Correcting Cream. This should be minimal on a new finish. I also will clay lightly and wipe down with panel wipe and/or IPA mix (50%)
- I have ceramic coating on two cars and am applying it on my week-old F-150 tomorrow. I am using gTechniq CSL + ExoV4. The cost will be $150-200 to do it myself. On the other cars I have used this same product on, I'm already on 3 years plus and they look great, bead great, and stay cleaner. This is true even for a car that lives outside
- While I'm a big fan of ceramic coatings, I do not recommend them for dark cars. The reason is that dark cars will frequently need correction of small scratches, etc. that you see on the dark color but wouldn't see on a light color. With ceramic already on, if you correct a spot, you have to remove the ceramic from the entire panel by machine buffing it and reapply the ceramic after you correct. You can't just buff a spot with a rag and reapply the ceramic on that spot. Also, the ceramic coatings don't last long once you open the bottles, so you would need to buy a new bottle every time at about $100 a shot. For dark cars, I use a sealer like Zaino or Griots and reapply 2x per year
Sponsored