Sponsored

Ceramic Coating requires top clear coat layer to be removed?

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I just dropped my 2021 F150 Platinum of to have the ceramic tinting done. Should be done in a few hours, but I'm taking it back next Monday to have 2 layers of ceramic coating on the rest of the truck. I know they take the top layer of clear coat off and make any corrections that need to be made. But that sounds kind of scary. Does anyone have experience with this?
I never posted a picture of the finished product, I’ll do it tomorrow. I love it so far. Drove through a heavy rain a few days ago. It beaded up and came right off. It’s pretty amazing
Sponsored

LIVRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, escape
Occupation
Engineer
I never posted a picture of the finished product, I’ll do it tomorrow. I love it so far. Drove through a heavy rain a few days ago. It beaded up and came right off. It’s pretty amazing
Yes please! Can't wait to see the final product!

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m a tire man
Hey Adam, how was your ceramic coating? Any updated pics?
i will post some tomorrow. Yesterday the weather was bad, today I had a camper shell installed. I’ll post tomorrow

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m a tire man
i will post some tomorrow. Yesterday the weather was bad, today I had a camper shell installed. I’ll post tomorrow
This doesn’t show the ceramic much, but I promised to post. I’ll wipe it down and try to post tomorrow

Ford F-150 Ceramic Coating requires top clear coat layer to be removed? B6BCDD7D-0BE1-48D2-BDA8-993167A6853C

Ford F-150 Ceramic Coating requires top clear coat layer to be removed? 4D7036B0-88A2-42CA-89F3-7EA737B6941C

Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired

Dantracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Lariat Powerboost
Looks very nice Adam! Can you take some pics of the whole truck with the smart cap? Also debating that cap and would love to see it on a 2021.

clipperqb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 3.5 EB, Super Crew, 4X4
I am ordering a new truck for the first time. I am interested in this process. Con someone explain the whole thing to me, as well as costs, and if it is any different with an already tinted clear coat like the smoked quartz paint?
I've gotten 2 quotes from local shops that are reputable. They both use ceramic pro, 5 year warranty - I didnt get into # coats etc, I think it is 3 .... both quotes were around $1,500

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I've gotten 2 quotes from local shops that are reputable. They both use ceramic pro, 5 year warranty - I didnt get into # coats etc, I think it is 3 .... both quotes were around $1,500
That’s not a bad price, do it

Viper1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT
So I'm a newb as well, and am curious about the Ceramic vs PPF. I was leaning on getting the PPF, because they use sand and rock out here for the winter roads, so chipping is a major issue.

I'm looking for opinions. Based on above would you recommend just doing the PPF? Is there any point doing ceramic if I'm doing PPF, and is it even possible to do both? Would it be worth doing both?

Not sure any of what I wrote makes sense, hope you all can make sense of that... I should just head to bed. haha

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

Touchdwn

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Power-Boost; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Corporate Pilot; retired Air Traffic Controller
So I'm a newb as well, and am curious about the Ceramic vs PPF. I was leaning on getting the PPF, because they use sand and rock out here for the winter roads, so chipping is a major issue.

I'm looking for opinions. Based on above would you recommend just doing the PPF? Is there any point doing ceramic if I'm doing PPF, and is it even possible to do both? Would it be worth doing both?

Not sure any of what I wrote makes sense, hope you all can make sense of that... I should just head to bed. haha

Thanks in advance.
[/QUOTE

Thanks in advance.
Mu Limited is going into a detailer on Feb 15th for both PPF and ceramic coating. Some shops can’t or won’t do both and the one doing mine use to only do ceramic. He is only going to apply PPF to the most exposed areas and then ceramic coating over the PPF and the rest of the truck.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer

Thanks in advance.
@Viper1010 -
I am aware that you can do both. A couple of weeks ago, AutoVlog did just that recently with the F-150 they purchased and had modified. I have personally not done this, so I don’t have any additional insight to offer.

Link to the AutoVlog video -

Elkhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
I did mine myself. I got the chemical guys kit, Carbon force. Since the truck was new it did not need paint correct or clayed. I polished my truck with there v38 polish and the did the process of applying the ceramic coating. I did the front clip and hood twice. The cool thing is you can wax on top of it. I personally love there Jet Seal and then wax on top of that. I get compliments almost daily on how shinny and clean my truck is.

To diy it cost me $250 and we did two trucks with left over to another truck. It took two guys working non stop about 4 hours. When we did the other truck we did paint correction, clawed, two step polish and coated it in just under 10 hours.

Best advice is leave the truck indoors away from the uv rays/weather for at least 12 hours.

I did my glass lights and chrome. Its Amazing how the water beads off.

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
Nice - it’s exactly what I’m going to do. Have all I need with Chemical Guys. Seen their application videos several time. All I need now is my fricken truck.

Elkhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Nice - it’s exactly what I’m going to do. Have all I need with Chemical Guys. Seen their application videos several time. All I need now is my fricken truck.
Great customer service. Post pics when done. Hope you get your rig soon.
Sponsored