Sponsored

Ceramic Coating requires top clear coat layer to be removed?

bigskydu

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 6.5' Powerboost
That's incredible. It took me a second to realize I was looking at a reflection. Wow. What product is it? Any idea?

I had a 10 year ceramic coating put on my 2019 Limited, it still beads like it was just waxed today
649D7B31-93C7-40DD-95F2-6CE5ADC18C6E.jpeg
Sponsored

charliecbp

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Limited PowerBoost
That's incredible. It took me a second to realize I was looking at a reflection. Wow. What product is it? Any idea?
it was this company www.bluediamondsofla.com and they used a product called Ceramic Pro, the link will take you to their website and they have some info on the products that they use

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
it was this company www.bluediamondsofla.com and they used a product called Ceramic Pro, the link will take you to their website and they have some info on the products that they use

reasonable prices-nothing in my area at all. I would have to drive 100 miles with a price in the thousands.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Last edited:

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
?......I’d like to see what a new vehicle looks like after having all of the clear coat removed and then applying a ceramic coating.

I’m willing to bet that the owner of said vehicle will not be happy with how it looks.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I'm kind of in agreement with Jim on this, I don't think the ceramic coating does any harm to your paint and does provide protection with a good look. It's just too rich for my blood and I have the time to do overkill in the cleaning and waxing of my vehicles.

I use a good base wax and then almost every wash I will apply a non-cleaner detail spray wax to some part of the truck. This means I end up hitting the entire truck about every 3 weeks depending on how many washes I had to do. Makes it real easy to wash and blow drying is very easy with the high water beading.

If I were a very busy man like Tireman and putting the kind of miles on my vehicle as he does, I would seriously consider something like this though.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
My dad (rest in peace) would only wax the hood and the top of the front fenders.
Spent virtually his entire life in bright, sunshiney, hot climates not conducive to paint longevity.
“Only things I can see while I’m in the car.”

But he traded up or down every couple of years—he got bored with his cars pretty quick. Longest he ever kept a car was his 98 Lincoln Mark LSC at about 5 yrs.
But, that would be a tough car to get tired of.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I'm kind of in agreement with Jim on this, I don't think the ceramic coating does any harm to your paint and does provide protection with a good look. It's just too rich for my blood and I have the time to do overkill in the cleaning and waxing of my vehicles.

I use a good base wax and then almost every wash I will apply a non-cleaner detail spray wax to some part of the truck. This means I end up hitting the entire truck about every 3 weeks depending on how many washes I had to do. Makes it real easy to wash and blow drying is very easy with the high water beading.

If I were a very busy man like Tireman and putting the kind of miles on my vehicle as he does, I would seriously consider something like this though.
You nailed it Bob.

A nice detail followed by a quality wax is all that’s needed.

Some but definitely not all people think that once you have a ceramic coating, their vehicle washing days are over.

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I just dropped my 2021 F150 Platinum of to have the ceramic tinting done. Should be done in a few hours, but I'm taking it back next Monday to have 2 layers of ceramic coating on the rest of the truck. I know they take the top layer of clear coat off and make any corrections that need to be made. But that sounds kind of scary. Does anyone have experience with this?
I’ve got a little bit of an update. I had to swing but the shop today to get a measurement for a weight distribution hitch. He was doing the paint correction and said there was lots of swirling and a lot more correction needed to be made than previously anticipated. He said he was putting the first ceramic coating on tonight and will do the 2nd coat in the morning. I will pick it up around 11 am country standard time tomorrow. I will post pics when done.

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m a tire man

Sponsored

Coreytime

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
so with PPF is this more for the front of the car to prevent scratches and chips? Sorry for the newbie questions. i'm completely ignorant on this topic.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
so with PPF is this more for the front of the car to prevent scratches and chips? Sorry for the newbie questions. i'm completely ignorant on this topic.
Correct.
Instead of doing the entire car, many people just PPF the most vulnerable areas and that usually includes the hood, maybe the grill, the back of the side view mirrors, and a few other places.

Believe it or not, some even PPF the windshield and yes, they make PPF for the windshield.

Word of caution though, it’s not cheap.

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m a tire man
no need to apologize, that’s what this Forum is for. This is very new to me too.

Micelda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum; 2021 BMW X3
So based on what I'm reading, I shouldn't have been shocked that I got a quote for a ceramic coating (Kenzo 4 year Protection) between $1100 - $1200? I was a little surprised as my wife just purchased a BMW X3 and they put on a ceramic coating (Simoniz) for ~600, based on some other websites, it doesn't appear Simoniz is as good, but I'm just curious to get anyones thoughts that has experience.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
So based on what I'm reading, I shouldn't have been shocked that I got a quote for a ceramic coating (Kenzo 4 year Protection) between $1100 - $1200? I was a little surprised as my wife just purchased a BMW X3 and they put on a ceramic coating (Simoniz) for ~600, based on some other websites, it doesn't appear Simoniz is as good, but I'm just curious to get anyones thoughts that has experience.
To do it properly with paint correction and depending on the product itself, that price range is correct.

Some places are even higher.

Perhaps the BMW was cheaper because it didn’t need as much paint correction not to mention being a smaller vehicle than a F150.
Sponsored