First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX, 2016 Accord Touring
Occupation
Accountant
I’m getting my truck done tomorrow. Decon wash, clay bar, iron decon, second wash, polish/paint correction, wax/grease removal, 5 year coating on all: glass, trim pieces, body panels, wheel faces, tonneau cover. $799
Wax Haus Detailing in Saratoga, NY.
Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I did it myself, as I've done on two other cars. Since it was new, I didn't have to correct the whole truck, just a few spots, including the black b-pillars on both sides. I use gTechniq CSL and Exov4 as follows: Wash > limited correction > clay > chemical surface prep > one coat CSL > two coats of Exo. My other cars are past year three with the same treatment, one parked outside, and still bead extremely well. I'm very happy with the gTechniq products. They go on great, and look good, and last well. The total cost was about $150 plus about 6 hours of work.

Ford F-150 Ceramic Coating - Price and Details Thread IMG_1668

Ford F-150 Ceramic Coating - Price and Details Thread IMG_1696

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I did it myself, as I've done on two other cars. Since it was new, I didn't have to correct the whole truck, just a few spots, including the black b-pillars on both sides. I use gTechniq CSL and Exov4 as follows: Wash > limited correction > clay > chemical surface prep > one coat CSL > two coats of Exo. My other cars are past year three with the same treatment, one parked outside, and still bead extremely well. I'm very happy with the gTechniq products. They go on great, and look good, and last well. The total cost was about $150 plus about 6 hours of work.

IMG_1668.jpeg

IMG_1696.jpeg
Looks really nice. Do you have a link to your products? I was looking at the Chemical guys line. I understnd ceramic coatings are not an actual barrier, rather a decent element repelent, so I wouldnt mind trying it. Thing is I still use tunnel washes, so I’m just tying get do a little better than regular carNuba.

oddlou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Star White Platinum 4x4 Powerboost
Looks really nice. Do you have a link to your products? I was looking at the Chemical guys line. I understnd ceramic coatings are not an actual barrier, rather a decent element repelent, so I wouldnt mind trying it. Thing is I still use tunnel washes, so I’m just tying get do a little better than regular carNuba.
I've used tunnel washes on my previous vehicles...but I don't think I can do it after watching this: As much as it costs to ceramic coat your truck, either in dollars, if you pay someone else to do it, or time, if you do it yourself, it seems wasteful to do it then take your baby through that torture chamber! :LOL: :LOL:

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I've used tunnel washes on my previous vehicles...but I don't think I can do it after watching this: As much as it costs to ceramic coat your truck, either in dollars, if you pay someone else to do it, or time, if you do it yourself, it seems wasteful to do it then take your baby through that torture chamber! :LOL: :LOL:
Honestly I have had memberships at tunnel washes for a very long time. I’m the type of person that will wash my truck two and three times a week and sometimes more LOL. I have had dark blue, black, red, But it wasn’t until my last most recent truck which was the magma red color, that you could sure see tons of scratches on the little wheel well lips. I had the truck in several times over the course of me owning it for a cut and buff, just to keep it presentable. So now at this new truck I’m a little gun shy.

Sponsored

CnB150Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, PB, Fx4, SuperCrew w/5.5 Bed
Anyone applied their own coating? Im looking at Chemical Guys Carbon Force
From what I’ve been reading there are better products available to consumers. If I were going to go about it myself I would’ve likely used gtechnic csl which everyone gives solid reviews on and even my detailer said that it’s a solid consumer product. It can be followed up with exov4 top coat and you’d be getting near professional stuff that should last a decently long time with proper after care. Make note that the top coat is a slightly different method of application that needs to be rubbed into the base crystal serum light. You tube it. Nothing crazy ?

If you’re going about it yourself just understand that It’s all in the prep work, do a thorough cleaning, claybar, decontamination spray like an ironx then do a one step single stage polish (yes i would skip the compound on our newer trucks as the paint should be in good enough shape to avoid that). Then Wash the car again and then spray it down with some ipa to remove any residues before staring the ceramic application.

Once you start the ceramic coating process take your time and pay very special care to the spreading and wipe off to avoid high spots. High spots are a real pain to get rid of and can ruin the whole job if you’re not paying attention. it’s really just about flattening with a microfiber and taking your time to do it right and not a big deal at all. Once your done, And I mean as soon as your done, give the entire truck a triple check and look over it carefully and at different angles with different lighting to check for any high spots and wipe them down with a microfiber again if you see any. They’re easily removable/buffable within a few hours of the application but once they cure after a day or so, you will need to lightly polish them down and depending on how much time has passed away it gets harder.

If I had the time and a better da polisher to do it myself I would but I figured I’d rather pay someone then invest my time and in a polisher that I’d be using once every other year. I also got a great deal from my detailer that made it a no brainer.

Lol. And if you’re using tunnel washes, don’t waste your time or money on ceramic... just get a spray type ceramic and keep spraying it after the washes whenever you can ?

whatever you go with I’m sure it will look amazing.

Last edited:

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
From what I’ve been reading there are better products available to consumers. If I were going to go about it myself I would’ve likely used gtechnic csl which everyone gives solid reviews on and even my detailer said that it’s a solid consumer product. It can be followed up with exov4 top coat and you’d be getting near professional stuff that should last a decently long time with proper after care. Make note that the top coat is a slightly different method of application that needs to be rubbed into the base crystal serum light. You tube it. Nothing crazy ?

If you’re going about it yourself just understand that It’s all in the prep work, do a thorough cleaning, claybar, decontamination spray like an ironx then do a one step single stage polish (yes i would skip the compound on our newer trucks as the paint should be in good enough shape to avoid that). Then Wash the car again and then spray it down with some ipa to remove any residues before staring the ceramic application.

Once you start the ceramic coating process take your time and pay very special care to the spreading and wipe off to avoid high spots. High spots are a real pain to get rid of and can ruin the whole job if you’re not paying attention. it’s really just about flattening with a microfiber and taking your time to do it right and not a big deal at all. Once your done, And I mean as soon as your done, give the entire truck a triple check and look over it carefully and at different angles with different lighting to check for any high spots and wipe them down with a microfiber again if you see any. They’re easily removable/buffable within a few hours of the application but once they cure after a day or so, you will need to lightly polish them down and depending on how much time has passed away it gets harder.

If I had the time and a better da polisher to do it myself I would but I figured I’d rather pay someone then invest my time and in a polisher that I’d be using once every other year. I also got a great deal from my detailer that made it a no brainer.

Lol. And if you’re using tunnel washes, don’t waste your time or money on ceramic... just get a spray type ceramic and keep spraying it after the washes whenever you can ?

Thanks for the info! Lots of good advice. Ive been quoted $600....and Im not cheap, but if I can do it for a couple hundo....why not....? My thinking was since I used the tunnels, that I would be wasting money on the pro.

Im reconsidering tunnel washes now after that video above though....Ive been through once and thanks to the video I can see scratches....:oops:

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I've requested quotes from a few places in preparation for delivery, and I've been quoted everything from $600 to $1500. The prices have actually been more reasonable than I expected so far. Still waiting for a few other quotes. Then it will just be a decision on where to go.

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur

What is IPA?

Sponsored

HawkeyeOD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
I got a quote for a local place that does clear bra coatings. $1595 for full hood, full fenders, mirrors. $495 for front bumper.

I probably won’t do the wheels. If they get roughed up over time I’ll just buy new wheels...

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the info! Lots of good advice. Ive been quoted $600....and Im not cheap, but if I can do it for a couple hundo....why not....? My thinking was since I used the tunnels, that I would be wasting money on the pro.

Im reconsidering tunnel washes now after that video above though....Ive been through once and thanks to the video I can see scratches....:oops:
Sorry to hear it, @Asphaltman. These are probably only light surface abrasions in the clearcoat. The Ceramic vendor should be able to polish those out easily before cleaning and coating.

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Sorry to hear it, @Asphaltman. These are probably only light surface abrasions in the clearcoat. The Ceramic vendor should be able to polish those out easily before cleaning and coating.
Not to sound lazy, but the tunnels are so quick and efficient. I washed by hand yesterday and it def takes a lot not time...lol Honestly I had never noticed scratches until my last truck which was that super dark Magma Red.

OP
OP
Agashi25

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
Not to sound lazy, but the tunnels are so quick and efficient. I washed by hand yesterday and it def takes a lot not time...lol Honestly I had never noticed scratches until my last truck which was that super dark Magma Red.
I noticed the black scratches super super easy.

It’s nothing major as minor polishing clears it up but it makes me want to do ceramic coating that much more to protect it.
Sponsored