Sponsored

Center Console Secrets?

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
OP - You're right to be curious. Part of the reason I wanted the work surface is because the console lid sans work surface just seems like major wasted space. Ford should have just made a dual layer console like Ram has for those without the work surface. They definitely cheaped out on this one.

I still think the fold-down console shifter is stupid....

Ram - upper lid open
1668178367274.png

Ram - Lower lid open
1668178403842.png

That Ram console...🤤
Agreed. Ram did a great job on storage in their truck. Now if only we could get that console lid, the rear underfloor storage of the ram and the behind the seat storage of the GM twins...
Ford F-150 Center Console Secrets? Screenshot 2022-11-14 124812
Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Agreed. Ram did a great job on storage in their truck. Now if only we could get that console lid, the rear underfloor storage of the ram and the behind the seat storage of the GM twins...
Screenshot 2022-11-14 124812.png
Yes, this is also a great little trick. My dad has had two late model Sierras, and I've always thought the in-seat storage was clever. I do like the completely flat rear floor in our trucks though; the GM twins have a small hump in the center...not sure about the Ram.

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
Didn't realize it was that rare having a work surface with column shifter. I feel special now.
f150 surface.jpg
Same here, XLT with those Slate seats, column shifter and have the work surface - you can use it while driving unlike the non-column shifter units. I also went six months owning the truck before I realized the center console storage was lockable with the key.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
Console shift bench seat work surface master race!!!
(not my image)

Ford F-150 Center Console Secrets? 1669631494591

The cool thing is that it rotates toward the driver side so it's a bit more ergonomic. The downside is that it ONLY rotates to the driver, and not to the passenger.

mrtull

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SCrew SB, FX4 with Tow
Occupation
Teacher
I had found one when I was searching.... I thought it was awesome. Then the dealer added over $15k of addons (like a roof rack) that made it cost prohibitive (more so than MSRP is already). Was surprised there wasn't more of these.

Sponsored

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
Glad I’m not the only one scratching their head on the centre console, lol! I test drove a couple Gen13’s so I was surprised the upper part of the Gen14 console had nothing. Was hoping there might be an aftermarket but haven’t found one; maybe the market is just too small for it.

I guess it does keep the console a little lighter when you lift to access the storage, but I wouldn’t mind a bit more storage too. There’s opportunities for storage under the shifter too, I’m sure. A small motor and some wiring,there can’t be much more under that shifter. Just don’t have the courage or skills to try anything!

parkerdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 f150 UNICORN (rcsb XLT co-pilot 360 assist 2.0)
Occupation
Keeper of the DOG and running with scissors.
Console shift bench seat work surface master race!!!
(not my image)

1669631494591.png

The cool thing is that it rotates toward the driver side so it's a bit more ergonomic. The downside is that it ONLY rotates to the driver, and not to the passenger.
My older sister and my dog are about the only two people that ride with me. I thought about the work surface like that but I figured she would %@^&&# that it was uncomfortable to put your arm on......... Should have listened to the dog.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I too have the column shifter and worksurface. I guess I'm a little confused? There's a config with the center console shifter AND the bench seat somehow? And that can be optioned with the worksurface?

And for our Canadian, the foldable lockable storage option is SWEEET for throwing full size M1As and AR15s into. Can probably fit 4 comfortably. Pretty genius design that allows the floor to still be pretty flat if the seats are folded.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I too have the column shifter and worksurface. I guess I'm a little confused? There's a config with the center console shifter AND the bench seat somehow? And that can be optioned with the worksurface?
Apparently. Because that's what I have. It's actually part of the reason that I have it, because the guy that ordered this truck refused delivery because it was built in this configuration, incorrectly.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
Apparently. Because that's what I have. It's actually part of the reason that I have it, because the guy that ordered this truck refused delivery because it was built in this configuration, incorrectly.
Lol that's gotta look weird. pics?

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The smart stalk, big touchscreen, driver's instrument cluster, cupholders, storage in the center console and climate control modules are great. The shifter, driving mode selector and console storage lid are absolutely bizarre. There is no reason to make a button into a large stick or gear shift that takes up space. There is no reason why the rear locker button is so easily pressed while selecting a driving mode. There is no reason for the center console lid to deliberately waste about 1/3 the volume of the actual storage compartment.

It's not hard: use 4 buttons to select F-A/F-M/R/N, have 3-5 buttons for 4L/4H/2H/4A/Rear locker and have a separate rotary selector for driving mode. Just put the Raptor paddles on everything for manual gear select.

End result: lower cost of materials and assembly, no new parts to design, everyone gets a flat work surface or extra cup holders, people don't randomly lock their rear diffs when trying to select Eco mode to take their groceries home, and there are fewer parts to break. It is a win-win.

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo