First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Sitting in the truck listening to radio, and the display goes dark.
Still playing just fine.
Cycle key and get a momentary “911 assist set to off” and it goes black again
How is this reset?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
This has happened twice since the first time—3x now under same circumstances.
The third time had a different result over the day.

I get to work way early and spend over an hour and up to 90min before I actually go into the building.
I spend that time as “Me” time, and read the tablet while listening to the music.
I am Bluetooth connected to my phone and have a playlist going all the time while in the truck.
After about 20-25min, I get the warning that everything is going to shut down, so all I have done over the last year is to cycle the key for another 20-25 minutes of play.

The last couple of work days screen is going black after the warning, but not coming back after the key cycle, but the music continues to play.

Not really a big deal, but there are days it is damn cold out and I start the truck for some heat for a few minutes, and there will be no heater diverting control due to a black screen.

The last time this happened ((black screen 3days in a row at work), it seemed to shut virtually everything down when I went into the building.

Under most circumstances, this would probably not be noticed by many, but on all of my commuting days, I am getting in and out of the truck in darkness in the fall and winter.

I get off work, unlock the truck, open the door. Truck is dark, no interior lighting, no welcome screen on either the instrument panel or the center display.
Weird, but the truck started and I went on my merry way back home.

It has also dawned on my that this started happening after an OTA update, as it had never happened before.

I have never driven the truck more than an hour uninterrupted since I have bought it, so nothing there to compare to ( don’t know if the screen will go black on a longer ride)

I actually spend more time with the truck in accy than I do with it actually moving 4 days a week.

Pretty sure this should not be happening at all

edit—-should be noted that upon key cycle, I get a message on the screen stating my 911 assist is off, and then that message disappears.
I don’t believe it is a “display” issue, but I do think it is a display control device forgetting to turn it on.

OP
OP

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Maintenance
New anomaly this morning.
Daytime running lights and fog lights indicator no longer on
instrument display. I know the DRLs are on as I see my headlights when I come up behind someone.
Not sure about the fog lights tho.
later this evening I’ll check to see if the auto lamp, and fog indicators come on.
something weird going on
Sponsored