Sponsored

armykyle1@l

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, M3
I ran catch cans (RX) on 3 of my past f-150 eco boosts until finally my dealer threatened to void my warranty, I guess it’s a violation of federal emissions , as pcv is a emission piece, I haven’t put one on my 21 (yet)
If it's a vented catch can, it could be considered a violation of emissions. Ford sells oil separators for the GT350 and GT500. If it were a emission violation, that wouldn't sell them it install them.

A catch can isn't necessary for a lot of people. If you don't plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time, don't drive the vehicle hard, not modified etc. Engines with forced induction tend to have more blow by.

One of the main reasons these vehicles don't have factory catch cans is the extra maintenance they require and the manufacturers have concluded that they're not needed for the most part.

Even if it's a placebo effect, I'll still run a catch on my vehicles. I ran them on both of my S550s, ecoboost expedition and plan to on my 21 f150. Even on the NA mustangs, they caught a surprising amount of oil. The expedition was absolutely ridiculous
Sponsored

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
For those who bought the J&L 3.0, did anyone get the $40 canister extension?

What's the point of that? So you can goobger in between emptying it?

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor, 2020 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Firefighter
For those who bought the J&L 3.0, did anyone get the $40 canister extension?

What's the point of that? So you can goobger in between emptying it?
When I ordered mine, I did not get any option, other than color. I should mention the cans for the PoweBoost only had color option. but yes, the larger capacity would net longer intervals between emptying it. I wouldn’t bother getting a bigger capacity, just empty it with every oil change.

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
When I ordered mine, I did not get any option, other than color. I should mention the cans for the PoweBoost only had color option. but yes, the larger capacity would net longer intervals between emptying it. I wouldn’t bother getting a bigger capacity, just empty it with every oil change.
One reviewer said they had to empty theirs every 4 to 6 weeks, is that not going to he typical with the 3.5L?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
The catchcans that do not have a vent do not modify the emissions system. A careful review of the CARB rules shows that a non-vented catchcan is not considered a violation. See the CARB attachement above. Second - Ford does not include these for the simple reason that they only want you to get to your next trade-in. If you keep your trucks longer well... I had a GMC Suburban with original engine for 30 years still seeing 3-4,000 miles/qt (not replacing it helped get three boys through college). So the bottom line is there are things you can do that extend the life of your machinery, it's not that they aren't necessary it's that they are necessary if you want an extended life.

Sponsored

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
One reviewer said they had to empty theirs every 4 to 6 weeks, is that not going to he typical with the 3.5L?
Some experiences will vary for sure, but if a catch can is catching that much oil that quickly, I’d be more concerned something else is suspect.

I have been able to empty every oil change with no evidence of coming close to filling a can. This has been the case even on my 1,000 hp supercharged mustangs.

But, some experiences may vary.

Timtoolman

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Retired Nuc welder , and Dot
If it's a vented catch can, it could be considered a violation of emissions. Ford sells oil separators for the GT350 and GT500. If it were a emission violation, that wouldn't sell them it install them.

A catch can isn't necessary for a lot of people. If you don't plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time, don't drive the vehicle hard, not modified etc. Engines with forced induction tend to have more blow by.

One of the main reasons these vehicles don't have factory catch cans is the extra maintenance they require and the manufacturers have concluded that they're not needed for the most part.

Even if it's a placebo effect, I'll still run a catch on my vehicles. I ran them on both of my S550s, ecoboost expedition and plan to on my 21 f150. Even on the NA mustangs, they caught a surprising amount of oil. The expedition was absolutely ridiculous
Yes ford installed them on gt 350 & 500’s but they are certified by the epa for them also , don’t know why ford didn’t put them on our trucks , never asked why didnt care , but if they did I’m sure they would be certified by epa also , you see it’s a certification thing

armykyle1@l

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, M3
Yes ford installed them on gt 350 & 500’s but they are certified by the epa for them also , don’t know why ford didn’t put them on our trucks , never asked why didnt care , but if they did I’m sure they would be certified by epa also , you see it’s a certification thing
They came installed on Rs but not standard GT350s, but could installed on GT350s or GT mustangs with a ford performance pack 3. I don't recall seeing any need for a EPA or CARB cert on these parts, since the pcv system is still in place. Thus not effecting emissions. I would be curious to see the literature on the EPA certification and or CARB. In reality, the emissions should be better since the vehicle isn't burning as much oil vapor.

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Firefighter
I have a GT500 which comes with the oil catch. It’s a Ford Performance part, and a pretty slick one at that. The PCV vale gets relocated into the oil catch assembly, and it even self drains into the passenger cam cover. But…. It is listed as for track use only, not for street use. I believe this is the same for the GT350R oil catch system. I say system, because on either car, they are not “cans’.

Timtoolman

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Retired Nuc welder , and Dot
They came installed on Rs but not standard GT350s, but could installed on GT350s or GT mustangs with a ford performance pack 3. I don't recall seeing any need for a EPA or CARB cert on these parts, since the pcv system is still in place. Thus not effecting emissions. I would be curious to see the literature on the EPA certification and or CARB. In reality, the emissions should be better since the vehicle isn't burning as much oil vapor.
I’m sure ford does has the epa certification on it since the pcv is a emission part ( i remember as a kid the draft tubes that preceded the PCV valve in the early 60’s), nothing goes on a engine with out a final certified package now a days

Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
Regardless of who thinks whatever, I'm running catch cans/air-oil separators (call it what you want). They help reduce buildup on intake valves. Anything that keeps the engine running at its best is only helping the environment. Engines with more restriction will burn more fuel to make up for the efficiency losses. So, in fact, running these devices only helps in the long run.

Sure, you can just wait until you do mid-life maintenance and add the valve cleaning to your bill. That's your prerogative. I personally prefer to do it myself (and I have). But don't care to do it all the time. Thus, I keep those valves as clean as I can.

FYI - My PB catches about half a cup of oil (about 1.5oz) between oil changes. My 5.0 Mustang almost fills the cup (3.0oz). My tuned & modified '07 Audi A3 dang near fills a 6oz can with snot. That engine has massive crankcase pressures and an elaborate PCV system. But I've tracked that car and it used to see a lot of high performance driving. Now, it's my youngest son's daily driver for school.

FYI2 - the canister extensions are not an 'option' when ordering such as color, but can be found as an individual item. PN: EXT.

Dat1Guy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
03.F350;05.STi;89.HMMWV;17.WRX;19.Accord;21.F150
Occupation
Smooth Brain 🧠
Here is mine... and there I thought mine was nasty sauce... but after seeing some pics on here... I'm not doing too bad... Im also running a bit of 000 stainless steel wool in the spacer just to have a bit more surface area for the oil to latch onto...

Ford F-150 Catch can information - Dual injection test for Carbon build up in 3.5L PowerBoost engine 1000002314

PatchManager

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew
Occupation
Firmware Engineer
I've seen a number of pictures and vidoes of the stuff that a catch can has caught, and I have to think that anything caught by the catch can is good. However, I don't know whether a catch can makes a 5 percent improvement or a 95 percent improvement in actual carbon buildup. I have seen quite a few reviews of catch cans, but I haven't seen any good tests where someone compares a vehicle with a catch can versus a vehicle without a catch can after a lot of miles. I know there are a lot of variables involved including how the vehicle is driven, idle time, etc., but it would still be nice to see a comparison . Has anyone done this or do you have a link to something like that?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
About 3,000 miles worth of catch can fluid collected. 1/8" oil & 2 1/2" watery stuff (smells like gasoline but it will freeze). Observed that it must be emptied before 700 miles.
Ford F-150 Catch can information - Dual injection test for Carbon build up in 3.5L PowerBoost engine IMG_6556
Sponsored