First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Retired Nuc welder , and Dot
It’s called modifying the pcv system , not factory or epa approved I was told , as I said before pcv is a emissions component,
Sponsored

Gutshot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT screw
Occupation
Aggregate junkie
I kept my OEM hose, I guess I’d just plug it in when I service the vehicle, and remove when I get home, if the dealer makes a fuss.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
It's interesting, if I understand the J&L Catchcan correctly as I'm doing homework, it does insert different hoses and the catchcan, but as to operation of the PCV System it remains a closed system. Thus it doesn't really modify things.

Gutshot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT screw
Occupation
Aggregate junkie
It's interesting, if I understand the J&L Catchcan correctly as I'm doing homework, it does insert different hoses and the catchcan, but as to operation of the PCV System it remains a closed system. Thus it doesn't really modify things.
My kit takes its aftermarket hose and connects directly to the PCV valve, then to the catch can, then to the OEM connection on the manifold. The PCV valve has zero modifications made to it.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
There are states that require the OEM type hoses, like California, and if you have anything different than that get really nasty. Even if the system continues to operate as designed by the OEM.

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
BTW... the water that appears in the catchcan, in part comes from combustion. H2O is a product of the combustion process. That is why many short runs of your truck will rot out the exhaust (go look at your exhaust pipe right after start - you'll see water dripping from the tailpipe). Once fully hot the exhaust piping no longer condenses exhaust. Another combustion product is H2SO4 (eg sulphuric acid). These get into the crankcase via cylinder blowby.

XLT22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a XLT
Without some sort of a filter in the catch can to help “catch” the vapors it’s more or less a waste of time. The ones that function more or less on swirl dynamics will trap some heavy particles but by and large you’re still passing the vapor through which is what sticks to the intake tract. I ran a MAHLE unit for thousands of miles on my 2019 3L Powerstroke that had the filter. Eventually took it off though.

Nighsight

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
For states that are using the CARB smog regulations, you are allowed to have a catch can as long as the integrity of the PCV system is maintained. I'll dig up the inspection guide that states this. This also means your catch can does not have to have an E.O. #. I called both CARB and the BAR and eventually got ahold of a regional office that had an agent who verified this.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
For states that are using the CARB smog regulations, you are allowed to have a catch can as long as the integrity of the PCV system is maintained. I'll dig up the inspection guide that states this. This also means your catch can does not have to have an E.O. #. I called both CARB and the BAR and eventually got ahold of a regional office that had an agent who verified this.
That's the key. As I mentioned, the J&L unit maintains the integrity of the PCV System, simply using longer lines and inserting the can. My homework shows others appear to be of similar design. So why do these companies go to great lengths to say they are not CARB compliant and can't be used in California?

Gutshot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT screw
Occupation
Aggregate junkie
J&L 3.0 has a multi layer screen/filter that makes the vapors pool into droplets.

Sponsored

Nighsight

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
That's the key. As I mentioned, the J&L unit maintains the integrity of the PCV System, simply using longer lines and inserting the can. My homework shows others appear to be of similar design. So why do these companies go to great lengths to say they are not CARB compliant and can't be used in California?
When I spoke with the owner of J&L he eluded to a California regulation that made it illegal to import parts that modify emissions system that do not have an E.O. #. I might have misunderstood, but it sounds like the regulations don't line up with what is specified by the BAR in their documentation. It's probably a case where CARB makes the regulations and Bar is tasked with enforcing them.

Nighsight

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Here are the sections out of the latest BAR smog check manual. Link to the manual at the end. The link for the manual is below the pictures. If you are in California, it's worth it to print this manual and put it in your vehicle in case you are ever questioned about the separator. Honestly, if you have the black J&L 3.0 unit, it blends in so well, I doubt most techs will notice it.

Ford F-150 Catch can information - Dual injection test for Carbon build up in 3.5L PowerBoost engine Screenshot_20230123-051529~2

Ford F-150 Catch can information - Dual injection test for Carbon build up in 3.5L PowerBoost engine Screenshot_20230123-061136

2021 BAR Smog Check Manual

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Raptor, 2020 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Firefighter
The J&L is a no brainer option for cheap "peace of mind" insurance. I run a catch can on all of my vehicles for that reason alone. I can see the argument either way, but for me, it's inexpensive enough to run one.

In my experience, any forced induction engine will benefit from one. If you have ever seen what oil does to a heat exchanger, or intercooler, you would order one too, me thinks.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
When I spoke with the owner of J&L he eluded to a California regulation that made it illegal to import parts that modify emissions system that do not have an E.O. #. I might have misunderstood, but it sounds like the regulations don't line up with what is specified by the BAR in their documentation. It's probably a case where CARB makes the regulations and Bar is tasked with enforcing them.
I suppose I'd argue that the J&L unit does not "modify" the PCV System. It retains the system integrity and simply adds longer hoses and adds the can. The "vapor boundary" of the PCV System remains intact. The J&L allusion to a regulation I think really says they don't want a legal entanglement and the expense of proving their unit doesn't modify the PCV System. Suppose you added something unrelated in your engine compartment and now needed to install a longer hose for the PCV System. Would that be a modification? But then who wants to take on a bureaucracy that has the resources to stretch out things?

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Here are the sections out of the latest BAR smog check manual. Link to the manual at the end. The link for the manual is below the pictures. If you are in California, it's worth it to print this manual and put it in your vehicle in case you are ever questioned about the separator. Honestly, if you have the black J&L 3.0 unit, it blends in so well, I doubt most techs will notice it.

Screenshot_20230123-051529~2.png

Screenshot_20230123-061136.png

2021 BAR Smog Check Manual
This is quite clear, a Crankcase gas filter (Oil Separator/filter) does not require a CARB EO#. So why are the makers of the J&L unit gunshy? Note: there are these kind of units that incorporate a vent to the open atmosphere; in my view they would be cause for failure since they do breach the PCV boundary.
Sponsored