First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker
For me, the primary reason I run an air oil separator isn’t even carbon buildup, it’s about detonation. Blowby is not a fuel that I’m looking to burn threw my engine.

Here is a few different catch can dumps. Of mine.
Ford F-150 Catch can information - Dual injection test for Carbon build up in 3.5L PowerBoost engine B36F4781-C659-4E69-A917-8C04AE2FF879
Ford F-150 Catch can information - Dual injection test for Carbon build up in 3.5L PowerBoost engine 1F1D4E87-D244-4E19-9AC3-EBBF7E6677B2

Doyouevenboost

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Subaru, 21 f150 502a ecoboost
Occupation
Utility maintenance worker

Gutshot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT screw
Occupation
Aggregate junkie
Looking at getting one of these, in reading the faq’s they mention vehicles towing can see oil on the clean side, I tow, and it’s usually in the winter(MI), so do they have a set up for a second kit?

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Guess I don't understand what you mean by "the clean side." I'm looking at one of these also.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Guess I don't understand what you mean by "the clean side." I'm looking at one of these also.
the PCV draws ‘dirty’ air out of the crankcase and This air has to be replaced by ‘clean’ air somehow so there is air coming in somewhere (likely after the MAF).

where the inlet for clean metred air is I am not sure in our motor

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I understood that cealn air replaces the dirty air... the clean side seemed to refer to one bank of cylinders versus the other bank of cylinders which doesn't make sense...

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Well, after a lot of research... I looked at putting one of these on. So I took off the PCV Valve to manifold line to see what I might see. Guess what? There was a half a teaspoon of oily water there at the manifold end of the line..................

Gutshot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT screw
Occupation
Aggregate junkie
Well, after a lot of research... I looked at putting one of these on. So I took off the PCV Valve to manifold line to see what I might see. Guess what? There was a half a teaspoon of oily water there at the manifold end of the line..................
I ordered a J&L 3.0, put it on yesterday, easy install, but my 22 3.5 didn’t look like any of their illustrations or videos. But it’s routed similar, I’ll be taking pics and sending them to confirm it’s correct.

Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
Here's a good explanation of what the catch can does.

I've been running one in all my Direct Injected vehicles and also my Mustang GT.
Here's what about 5K miles looks like on my 2007 Audi A3 (tuned). It's a mix of condensation and oil that looks like snot! Yum.
My Mustang's a lot cleaner but still, about 1 oz. after 3K miles. Notorious on the Coyote engine.

The "clean" side is on the drivers cam cover. There's a tube coming from a sensor on the air cleaner to the "clean intake". There's really no reason to install on this side. You will get almost nothing here. I did on my GT and it has proven to be completely clean and dry. But, every engine design may differ so do your research.

Ford F-150 Catch can information - Dual injection test for Carbon build up in 3.5L PowerBoost engine A3 catch can 3K.JPG

Ford F-150 Catch can information - Dual injection test for Carbon build up in 3.5L PowerBoost engine Mustang Catch can

DHBPhoto

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Ecoboost
Occupation
Photographer/Filmmaker
Very informative. To catch can or not has long been a debate — I love how fired up people get. I opted to not catch can because a few people on here said high rps/throttle will burn out the carbon. But this video (to my understanding) disproves this w/ the low throttle/idle causing the issue.

Two questions for you geeks out there:
- Is the 14gen trucks w/ the 3.5 EC a gen 2 motor? For some reason I thought it was gen 3.
- If you can decarbon during a timing chain job, I don't really see the concern here. Maintenance is maintenance. Clean it up and you're good for another 200k. I'm back on the fence.

Timtoolman

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Retired Nuc welder , and Dot
I ran catch cans (RX) on 3 of my past f-150 eco boosts until finally my dealer threatened to void my warranty, I guess it’s a violation of federal emissions , as pcv is a emission piece, I haven’t put one on my 21 (yet)

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
I've been back and forth on the decision of having one. Always put it off because I traded my vehicles in yearly.

This time, I plan on keeping my 5.0 and my 3.5 Expedition. Based on that, I decided to order two J&L separators.

Gutshot

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT screw
Occupation
Aggregate junkie
I ran catch cans (RX) on 3 of my past f-150 eco boosts until finally my dealer threatened to void my warranty, I guess it’s a violation of federal emissions , as pcv is a emission piece, I haven’t put one on my 21 (yet)
How does it violate emissions?
The air flow goes back into the manifold, after passing thru the can, is the fact that later the oil collected needs to be properly disposed of?
Sponsored