First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Catch cans increase the service interval on an item that requires the intake manifold to be removed and that I can't do myself. That's worth $160 to me. As for CARB....it is a highly regional issue. Here in Texas, one could venture to the state capitol to declare that one's truck is in violation of several parts of CARB and expect to receive at least one "Attaboy!" from an elected official.
Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Catch cans increase the service interval on an item that requires the intake manifold to be removed and that I can't do myself. That's worth $160 to me. As for CARB....it is a highly regional issue. Here in Texas, one could venture to the state capitol to declare that one's truck is in violation of several parts of CARB and expect to receive at least one "Attaboy!" from an elected official.
Awhile ago, as a result of someone's post, I followed the thread in the California CARB rules (part of a post above). Turns out if your catch can system maintains the integrity of the PCV system (ie does not vent to atmosphere) it is not a violation. At the end of the day if that stuff pictured in my jar above has now been removed from the system, that cannot be a bad thing. As a side benefit you'll be able to monitor the condition of your rings. As they wear, the amount of oil captured will slowly increase: that 1/8" across 3,000 miles will become 1/4" over 3,000 miles... Etc...

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
Awhile ago, as a result of someone's post, I followed the thread in the California CARB rules (part of a post above). Turns out if your catch can system maintains the integrity of the PCV system (ie does not vent to atmosphere) it is not a violation. At the end of the day if that stuff pictured in my jar above has now been removed from the system, that cannot be a bad thing. As a side benefit you'll be able to monitor the condition of your rings. As they wear, the amount of oil captured will slowly increase: that 1/8" across 3,000 miles will become 1/4" over 3,000 miles... Etc...
I am in no way disagreeing with this statement. What I am saying is that California is a state actor with a very specific set of biases which it is under no compulsion to align with reality. The fact that a law is insane has rarely proven to be an obstacle its vigorous enforcement.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
I am in no way disagreeing with this statement. What I am saying is that California is a state actor with a very specific set of biases which it is under no compulsion to align with reality. The fact that a law is insane has rarely proven to be an obstacle its vigorous enforcement.
It's true that bureuacracies do things because they can. In this case they can decide that something is a violation if they choose, published rules be darned. The real issue is someon out in the field not really understanding the rules. Like I said the rules that are in a post above this one, clearly show that a catch-can that doesn't violate the integrity of the PCV tubing, is not a violation. The Catch-can assembly I installed does not violate such integrity. Those firms selling these that say not for sale in California haven't done their homework and are just ducking the issue... but then their view is we won't be seen as picking a fight with a bureaucracy.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Physician
It's true that bureuacracies do things because they can. In this case they can decide that something is a violation if they choose, published rules be darned. The real issue is someon out in the field not really understanding the rules. Like I said the rules that are in a post above this one, clearly show that a catch-can that doesn't violate the integrity of the PCV tubing, is not a violation. The Catch-can assembly I installed does not violate such integrity. Those firms selling these that say not for sale in California haven't done their homework and are just ducking the issue... but then their view is we won't be seen as picking a fight with a bureaucracy.
It's not just that the bureaucrat doesn't understand the rules; they lack any feedback mechanism to incentivize them to understand the rules and make sure that they make good judgment calls.

Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
Just an update after changing my oil 11/5/23. This is my catch can retrieval. I got 0.1 inches more than in the picture I posted January on the 1st page of this thread. Miles on this oil 6858 total - 1624 electric (Power Boost) = 5234 engine miles. I realize the hybrid starts and stops a lot while in operation so there's another debate to be had as to oil change frequency?? I suggest that hard driving is far worse than engine starts/stops. Thoughts?
Ford F-150 Catch can information - Dual injection test for Carbon build up in 3.5L PowerBoost engine F-150 11.5.23

I also notice more condensation in my F-150 PowerBoost catch can than in my Mustang GT's. Here's a video:

Here's my Mustang's oil from 11/19/23's oil change. No condensation whatsoever, but there were a few tiny silicone or sealant bits.
Ford F-150 Catch can information - Dual injection test for Carbon build up in 3.5L PowerBoost engine Mustang 11.19.23

Ford F-150 Catch can information - Dual injection test for Carbon build up in 3.5L PowerBoost engine Mustang 11.19.23 b

The other question I've recently been pondering is what happens to lubrication and cooling of the turbos when the engine is off during EV mode? Good turbo practice is to allow them to warm up and cool down. Also, oil circulation for the bearings. If no oil is being pumped and you hit the accelerator from a stop while in EV mode, is there potential oil starvation for a few moments as the oil pressure comes up? What is the effect from repeated EV to ICE transitions if this is the case? :unsure:

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Now that the weather is cold again out my way... The catch can is filling up regularly. I figure about 300-500 miles between checking and draining it.
Sponsored