Sponsored

Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Device... Really needed?

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
I haven't looked into the skid plates but how are they mounted? Couldn't they just unbolt the skid plates?
Some skids just bolt in, some using security bolts, it’s not a anti-theft device really, it’s a theft deterrent, while the Talon Garage plate would be a “slight” deterrent imho, the aluminum ones might as well be warm butter if they’re getting under it with angle grinder and a cutoff wheel.

You’re best off having a local shop weld in some steel. Will it add more weight that the aluminum bolted in options, yes, but it will be a larger deterrent.
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
That likely won’t help the situation, most these CATs are high value because of the high Platinum, Palladium, and Rhodium in them. While fencing the CATs is easier than extracting the precious metals, the precious metals will still hold value and if demand increases due to said laws, you can safely bet OEM manufactures and Junkyards will adjust there prices upwards to compensate. Unless you want to pass laws trying to control the price…
If regulations were in place to require documentation when selling cats to junkyards, etc., to prove ownership of said item(s), how would that not help the situation? If you get rid of the market where thieves are getting their money, why steal something they can't sell?

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
Anything to deter the chronic theft of these items would help. Plates or laws, whatever it takes to slow em' down or put a stop to it.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
If regulations were in place to require documentation when selling cats to junkyards, etc., to prove ownership of said item(s), how would that not help the situation? If you get rid of the market where thieves are getting their money, why steal something they can't sell?

I think you missed the point of my post.

"Although the quantities vary by model, on average, only one standard catalytic converter contains about 3-7 grams of platinum, 2-7 grams of palladium, 1-2 grams rhodium. That provides serious gains when tons of scrap catalytic converters are recovered."

I'm sure the Powerboost cats are near the top or above each range and local meth dealers will likely be happy to exchange $20 in meth for a pair of those cats since they already have the resources to extract the 14 grams (two cats in each Powerboost) of palladium currently worth ~$1050... and we didn't even account for the platinum or rhodium...

Local pawn shops are going to give two farts less about the source of the palladium or platinum bars being brought in...

JerseyGlock

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
I haven't looked into the skid plates but how are they mounted? Couldn't they just unbolt the skid plates?
Stock shield is just a plastic, they can easily cut it with sawzall. Would like to see a skip plate made out from ar400 material.

Sponsored

Avtech

First Name
BJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lariat 4x4 PowerBoost
I installed a Talon skid plate on my 2022 PowerBoost. Catalytic thefts are prevalent in Texas. Makes access to the catalytic converters more difficult and protects the transmission. Well worth the money on a $65K truck.

Ford F-150 Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Device... Really needed? 08D88E66-01B4-4B41-9452-E4E01FC86B3B

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
If they have tools to cut the cat out, they can probably get past skid plates. How much "extra" damage would be done? Its a f'in pain protecting ourselves from bad people

kevdog0710

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I installed a Talon skid plate on my 2022 PowerBoost. Catalytic thefts are prevalent in Texas. Makes access to the catalytic converters more difficult and protects the transmission. Well worth the money on a $65K truck.

08D88E66-01B4-4B41-9452-E4E01FC86B3B.jpeg
Is that tamper proof hardware?

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I guess the question is, will they risk the extra time to try and get through the skid plate or just move on to an easier target?

Even if the bolts didn't have security threads I would have to guess they want an easy target quick in, quick out.

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I'm sure the Powerboost cats are near the top or above each range and local meth dealers will likely be happy to exchange $20 in meth for a pair of those cats since they already have the resources to extract the 14 grams (two cats in each Powerboost) of palladium currently worth ~$1050... and we didn't even account for the platinum or rhodium...
I started my career at a plant that made catalytic converters (even for the F150 at times). Recovery of the prescious metals isn't something you can do at home. Even if you did have the necessary equipment to recover the precious metals, you may get $1-200 AT MOST, likely less, and you'd spend a decent amount in the process to recover it. There's more to the cost than the precious metals, and the only real valuable market is as a replacement in another vehicle.

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
I started my career at a plant that made catalytic converters (even for the F150 at times). Recovery of the prescious metals isn't something you can do at home. Even if you did have the necessary equipment to recover the precious metals, you may get $1-200 AT MOST, likely less, and you'd spend a decent amount in the process to recover it. There's more to the cost than the precious metals, and the only real valuable market is as a replacement in another vehicle.
While I agree it's not a not a quick "easy" process, it can be done at home...

Many meth/heroin producers/dealers already have the acids, ventilation, burners needed to do it and if they're getting several grams of palladium from a pair or several powerboost cats they traded for a few bucks in product to a junkie in search of a quick high, they're definitely making out on the deal.

ptr0687

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Many meth/heroin producers/dealers already have the acids, ventilation, burners needed to do it and if they're getting several grams of palladium from a pair or several powerboost cats they traded for a few bucks in product to a junkie in search of a quick high, they're definitely making out on the deal.
As I said, you're not getting several grams from a single cat, or even a pair of cats from a car. Did you see how many catalytic converters they had in that video to get 6 grams? And that's assuming they even showed you how many were needed to get that. If you got 1 gram from a pair of cats, that would be a lot.
Sponsored