Sponsored

Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Device... Really needed?

Jimmy Young

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-F150 lariat
I really wanted the Talon skid plate to help protect my cats from theft here in so cal since they are being stolen like wild fire. But I emailed Shaun at Talon and they will not fit on lifted trucks...dammit
Sponsored

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
I really wanted the Talon skid plate to help protect my cats from theft here in so cal since they are being stolen like wild fire. But I emailed Shaun at Talon and they will not fit on lifted trucks...dammit
That's unfortunate. It seems to me that part of the reason F150s are being targeted would be the relative ease to get underneath to cut out the cat. With a Prius or other smaller hybrid, you would have to jack it up to get to the cat. It seems like it's lifted trucks that would be even more vulnerable.

Jimmy Young

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-F150 lariat
That's unfortunate. It seems to me that part of the reason F150s are being targeted would be the relative ease to get underneath to cut out the cat. With a Prius or other smaller hybrid, you would have to jack it up to get to the cat. It seems like it's lifted trucks that would be even more vulnerable.
Yes that is so true. After being under my truck yesterday and exploring options I realized just how easy it would be to cut out. I could do both in seconds. I don't want some Chessy thing though so really want some sort of skid plate Alum.

Briansk12

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost
I went a different route to protect my converters. Is it bullet proof? Absolutely not but hopefully it will deter someone and make them move on. I got the metal cover that comes on the Raptor and installed it in place of the flimsy one that it comes with. Pretty easy to do. Had to make a slight modification to a mount for the battery cooling hoses along the frame on the passenger side to make more clearance since I have a powerboost. Below are part numbers for the cover, bolts, and nuts. You reuse the big 13mm bolts that hold the existing L brackets.

Cover HL3Z-7222-C
The following nuts and bolts are used to attach the cover to the frame.
Bolt W505444S439 (1 bag comes with 4 you need 2 bolts )
Nut W719490S439 (1 bag cones with 4 you need 2 nuts)

Oil fill cover HL3Z-7222-D
The following nuts and bolts are used for the oil fill cover and the front 2 holes of the big cover. You could reuse what is there but these are a little bigger.
Bolt W500623-S439 (1 bag comes with 3 you need 5)
Nut W520813-S439 ( 1 bag comes with 4you need 5)

Check out the video I found on YouTube for install details. Not sure if he is a member of the forum but it’s pretty informative.

His video is a little older so the part numbers he has have been replaced with the ones above.

dmarkjohn

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost
I went a different route to protect my converters. Is it bullet proof? Absolutely not but hopefully it will deter someone and make them move on. I got the metal cover that comes on the Raptor and installed it in place of the flimsy one that it comes with. Pretty easy to do. Had to make a slight modification to a mount for the battery cooling hoses along the frame on the passenger side to make more clearance since I have a powerboost. Below are part numbers for the cover, bolts, and nuts. You reuse the big 13mm bolts that hold the existing L brackets.

Cover HL3Z-7222-C
The following nuts and bolts are used to attach the cover to the frame.
Bolt W505444S439 (1 bag comes with 4 you need 2 bolts )
Nut W719490S439 (1 bag cones with 4 you need 2 nuts)

Oil fill cover HL3Z-7222-D
The following nuts and bolts are used for the oil fill cover and the front 2 holes of the big cover. You could reuse what is there but these are a little bigger.
Bolt W500623-S439 (1 bag comes with 3 you need 5)
Nut W520813-S439 ( 1 bag comes with 4you need 5)

Check out the video I found on YouTube for install details. Not sure if he is a member of the forum but it’s pretty informative.

His video is a little older so the part numbers he has have been replaced with the ones above.

Wondering how this mod is working for you? I have a powerboost as well and would like to do it to help deter thieves from stealing my Cats. What was involved with the mount modification for the cooling lines? Also is it easy to change the oil by removing the access cover?

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
This images look like 1/8" plate at most, and since they don't say how thick it is I'm inclined to be sure in my assessment. It probably cost so much due to the labor from all the assembly.

The Talon is 1/4" and can function as a skid plate.
I can attest to the thickness of the talons garage plate. Im testing thier new PB cat cover skid plate and it's thick and heavy as hell.

Mosey

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
You wonder what can be done to stop this? It is just not the thieves here, the recycling industry is just as culpable. When Jonny comes in every week with a bunch of F-150 cats - hmmm. IDK, require VIN numbers on all converts AND require the numbers be checked before payout? Just more government involvement.

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
As has been suggested before, that would probably stop it, or at least slow it down quite a bit but since they don’t require anything like that I can only conclude that they want this easy money industry to continue as part of this country’s spread the wealth policy.

Sponsored

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Since the crossmember that the front of the plate mounts to is lower with a lift kit, I wonder if it just means you would have to attach it from the top somehow, and it might be pretty straight forward?

Briansk12

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 PowerBoost
Wondering how this mod is working for you? I have a powerboost as well and would like to do it to help deter thieves from stealing my Cats. What was involved with the mount modification for the cooling lines? Also is it easy to change the oil by removing the access cover?
I have had no problems with it. It’s holding up well. I haven’t changed oil since getting it but it doesn’t look like it will be much of an issue.

dmarkjohn

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost
I have had no problems with it. It’s holding up well. I haven’t changed oil since getting it but it doesn’t look like it will be much of an issue.
Thanks. Where did you order the parts?