Sponsored

Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Device... Really needed?

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
I know there are a couple of threads about what catalytic converter anti-theft devices are available for our new F-150s. Those threads are quickly taken over by folks talking about their guns... and not so much about answering the question.

This plate seems to be the most popular "device": https://www.talonsgarage.com/product-page/f-150-transmission-skid-plate
(Basically, I think these guys looked at their tranny skid plate and said "Hey, Darryl... look, it blocks the cat too! Let's call it an 'Anti-cat theft device' and then we can charge even more for it!") Either way, they are on back order and seem to have been that way for a while.

Today, I stopped by the "go-to" dude for any serious exhaust work in town and asked him if he knew of anything. (He does a lot of anti-cat theft work on Prius's, etc). Well, he looked at me like I'm crazy. He had never heard of ANYONE stealing cats from F-150's.

Yet... I see articles like this: https://www.torquenews.com/3769/thieves-target-f-150-catalysts-pandemic-goes

So, that begs the question... is an anti theft device *REALLY* necessary? Are the cats on my PowerBoost the same as on an EcoBoost, or are they the crazy expensive type like on a Prius??

I'll be driving across the country sometime this summer and the last thing I need is to come out to the truck and find my catalytic converts have been cut out. So, I am just trying to be smart about it.
Sponsored

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
I saw someone post an install video for a Powerboost and the Talons Garage plates:

I have a hunch that the nature of cats for hybrid vehicles makes them contain more precious metals so I have already removed my Powerboost emblems as a precautionary step and I too am curious about any skid plates that would also deter thieves.

moonpie

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
I was on a road trip fro Colorado to FL. Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Wichita Falls, TX. Came out in the morning to find one of my cats stolen. They got another F-150 in the parking lot as well.

Went to local muffler shop and had them install a universal cat, which got me to FL. Paid $700 out of pocket.

As soon as I arrived in FL (Dec 2021) I went to the Ford dealership. Parts backordered and just came in late March. Finally got my truck fixed and back under warranty. That bill was $2,700. Waiting on reimbursement from GEICO now.

To answer the question, yes - it is DEFINITELY worth protecting your cats.

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Factory Five MK IV Roadster, 2022 F150 Platty
OP
OP
JediNut

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek

Sponsored

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the tip on the Talon! I knew the RCI wouldn't work.

psambrose

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 2018 Mustang GT 2017 Lincoln MKZ
I was on a road trip fro Colorado to FL. Stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in Wichita Falls, TX. Came out in the morning to find one of my cats stolen. They got another F-150 in the parking lot as well.

Went to local muffler shop and had them install a universal cat, which got me to FL. Paid $700 out of pocket.

As soon as I arrived in FL (Dec 2021) I went to the Ford dealership. Parts backordered and just came in late March. Finally got my truck fixed and back under warranty. That bill was $2,700. Waiting on reimbursement from GEICO now.

To answer the question, yes - it is DEFINITELY worth protecting your cats.
Yikes, I didn't realize it would be that expensive. Since those things are federally mandated, they really need to make it a federal offense to steal them with severe penalties. Where I live, if the thieves are caught they will be back on the street in an hour or two.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I know there are a couple of threads about what catalytic converter anti-theft devices are available for our new F-150s. Those threads are quickly taken over by folks talking about their guns... and not so much about answering the question.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreshadowing

There's still enough precious metals in the F-150 cats to score enough money from a fence to motivate the thieves; whether it be some rock, ice or their favorite airplane size bottle of booze.

Ford F-150 Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Device... Really needed? E314CCFE-25FD-425F-AD5A-3D7F40DAE2B8
Ford F-150 Catalytic Converter Anti-Theft Device... Really needed? 28E999A0-617F-4F2B-9432-56E4658D1733

Even if they never even sell them, some are motivated by the fact that local news stations are constantly reminding people how lucrative and relatively risk free stealing catalytic converters, tailgates and gas is. So they may wind up tossing them in the trash after finding out that nobody is buying, either because it's an unpopular model vehicle that they were cut out of; or because newer laws targeting cat theft have made it much harder to sell them. Either way, your out time and money or even worse:

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/houston-deputy-shot-grocery-store-17051590.php

Without mentioning the "i word" or its causes, you better get a skid plate for the gas tank as well, since that will become worse along with everything else.

Sponsored

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
LOL, owner will spend more time in jail than thief, if we do that here in New Jersey.
You need to move to PA. Get caught messing with someones property here and your fair game for target practice. Unlike NJ we love guns here:cool:

Bluesman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Really need state & federal laws that prohibit scrap dealers from buying cut cats....

Kaipo

First Name
Zane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT Sport 4x4 Ledfoot Grey
I haven't looked into the skid plates but how are they mounted? Couldn't they just unbolt the skid plates?

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
Really need state & federal laws that prohibit scrap dealers from buying cut cats....
That likely won’t help the situation, most these CATs are high value because of the high Platinum, Palladium, and Rhodium in them. While fencing the CATs is easier than extracting the precious metals, the precious metals will still hold value and if demand increases due to said laws, you can safely bet OEM manufactures and Junkyards will adjust there prices upwards to compensate. Unless you want to pass laws trying to control the price…
Sponsored