CarPlay stops working every few weeks

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
There’s lots of discussion about CarPlay but most of it dated. I’m finding that CarPlay stops even showing up every few weeks. My iPhone 13 will still pair via BT, but it will not launch CarPlay even when I use the USB cable. It requires me to remove the phone from Sync, and most importantly, initiate the BT re-paring via iPhone CarPlay settings — going right to BT settings will pair the phone again but CarPlay still won’t work. It’s frustrating because I never had CarPlay pairing issues on three former cars and I’m decently tech savvy.

As far as I know, I have the latest OTA updates. Am I the only one?
Sponsored

Wolverine7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 2023 Tesla Model Y LR
Mine does this from time to time, seems like it can be cranky and decide not to run Carplay. I can go into Phone List and try various pairing buttons (phone, bluetooth/music) and the first two will light up and connect, but it thinks forever and won't start Carplay (the third button) when this happens. You just have to manually start an app on the phone to play music via Bluetooth when that happens.

Seems to fix itself after turning off the truck and starting up again. Not sure why, but then it goes right back into Carplay like nothing was wrong.

OP
OP
richardrocks

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mine does this from time to time, seems like it can be cranky and decide not to run Carplay. I can go into Phone List and try various pairing buttons (phone, bluetooth/music) and the first two will light up and connect, but it thinks forever and won't start Carplay (the third button) when this happens. You just have to manually start an app on the phone to play music via Bluetooth when that happens.

Seems to fix itself after turning off the truck and starting up again. Not sure why, but then it goes right back into Carplay like nothing was wrong.
Is there a way to reboot Sync? On my Ascent, I could hold down the power knob to reboot the system while driving.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Mine does this too and it's. very annoying as it only seems to only happen with Sync4. I have been in multiple other vehicles and their infotainment systems will instantly detect and launch Carplay almost instantly on phone connection. It doesn't matter if the phone is plugged in before or after startup.

After some trial and error I have found that if you plug the phone in before starting the truck wired carplay will fail to launch on its own about 60-70% of the time. This results into having to manually launch it from the phone settings menu in Sync. Even then it will sometimes fail to launch until I power the truck off and open/close the door to complete infotainment power down sequence.

If I start the truck then plug the phone in Carplay will then almost always launch withing 10 seconds. If there is any other device plugged into the front usb ports like a wireless charger puck, Sync4 will get stuck on that eventually displaying unsupported or unrecognized device plugged in notice and then fail to launch Carplay.

Perhaps with the latest 4.2.2 power up that specifically addresses Carplay, maybe this inconsistent connection issue will be resolved. Mine just revived the update yesterday so I have not had time to see yet. Maybe someone who has had these issues and has been on 4.2.2 for some time can chime in if they are still having the problem or if it's resolved.

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 STX, Lead Foot Grey
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Mine has done this since I updated my iPhone 13 to 16.4.1. I noticed on my way to work that I had to plug in the iPhone to get CarPlay. Yesterday, I went out to my truck and deleted / re-added my phone, and now the wireless carplay works. I shall see tomorrow if the setting sticks...

Sponsored

Amizar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat FX4/2020 Expedition
Mine does this sometimes. I just reboot it by holding down the power and fast forward button for a few seconds.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Well I was out for a few hours today looking at houses with the family. Had multiple stops and plenty of testing opportunities with Carplay engagement. It would appear that with the Power up 4.2.2 ios 16.3.1 (13 ProMax) things are much improved. Carplay consistently launched within 15 seconds of starting the truck. This is both with the phone plugged in prior to as well as after starting the truck. Not once did I have to access the phone settings and force Carplay to start as I did priot ro the 4.2.2 update. I also tested unplugging the phone and back in to reset the Wayze location as it sometimes will not update/track GPS when Carplay starts. Each time Carplay started within seconds or the reconnect. I also tested using both USB ports for Carplay and no difference. There is still a delay launching Carplay if an unrecognized or unsupported usb device is also connected. This is now only about 5 additional seconds where before it would either fail to launch or take up a very long time to start.

It appears that the definitely are improving things with this most recent power-up update.

OP
OP
richardrocks

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well I was out for a few hours today looking at houses with the family. Had multiple stops and plenty of testing opportunities with Carplay engagement. It would appear that with the Power up 4.2.2 ios 16.3.1 (13 ProMax) things are much improved. Carplay consistently launched within 15 seconds of starting the truck. This is both with the phone plugged in prior to as well as after starting the truck. Not once did I have to access the phone settings and force Carplay to start as I did priot ro the 4.2.2 update. I also tested unplugging the phone and back in to reset the Wayze location as it sometimes will not update/track GPS when Carplay starts. Each time Carplay started within seconds or the reconnect. I also tested using both USB ports for Carplay and no difference. There is still a delay launching Carplay if an unrecognized or unsupported usb device is also connected. This is now only about 5 additional seconds where before it would either fail to launch or take up a very long time to start.

It appears that the definitely are improving things with this most recent power-up update.
Glad to hear you’re seeing major improvement! Unfortunately, mine glitched even with 4.2.2.1.

You’re right, though, plugging it in before start is when it *sometimes* failed to launch. I didn’t realize that til you mentioned it. Generally I don’t do that, but looking back, I did in those instances.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Glad to hear you’re seeing major improvement! Unfortunately, mine glitched even with 4.2.2.1.

You’re right, though, plugging it in before start is when it *sometimes* failed to launch. I didn’t realize that til you mentioned it. Generally I don’t do that, but looking back, I did in those instances.
That's when I had the most issues with Carplay. You can try doing a master reset within the Sync system and then do a full reconnect sequence with Carplay. Or try resetting the APIM module with Forscan to see if that makes any improvement.

Braeden

First Name
Braeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
For me, none of the suggestions of powering down the truck and opening door, or deleting and re-adding the phone worked. I have to master reset the sync 4 system every time my CarPlay does not come up. After reset it works no issues. My IPhone is on the latest beta version currently. Truck is at 4.2.2.1. So far since last weekend I’ve had to reset it twice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
richardrocks

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For me, none of the suggestions of powering down the truck and opening door, or deleting and re-adding the phone worked. I have to master reset the sync 4 system every time my CarPlay does not come up. After reset it works no issues. My IPhone is on the latest beta version currently. Truck is at 4.2.2.1. So far since last weekend I’ve had to reset it twice.
Someone suggested allowing truck to start and CarPlay to connect wirelessly before plugging in phone. I’ve been following this sequence and haven’t had any CarPlay issues since. Previously, I would hardwire the phone to charge right as I got in before everything launched, and every 10 starts CarPlay would fail to work at all until I deleted and re-paired the phone.

Braeden

First Name
Braeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Someone suggested allowing truck to start and CarPlay to connect wirelessly before plugging in phone. I’ve been following this sequence and haven’t had any CarPlay issues since. Previously, I would hardwire the phone to charge right as I got in before everything launched, and every 10 starts CarPlay would fail to work at all until I deleted and re-paired the phone.
I’ll try this. I pondered doing the wireless to see but never tried since corded is the way to go (for solid connection). I didn’t realize if I connected wirelessly then plugged it in, it would switch to the corded connection. I do have all of my music downloaded so that helps.

OP
OP
richardrocks

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ll try this. I pondered doing the wireless to see but never tried since corded is the way to go (for solid connection). I didn’t realize if I connected wirelessly then plugged it in, it would switch to the corded connection. I do have all of my music downloaded so that helps.
do you typically plug your phone in right as you start truck or while Sync is still sort of powering up?

Braeden

First Name
Braeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
do you typically plug your phone in right as you start truck or while Sync is still sort of powering up?
After the first time having the issue. I wait until the truck and sync are powered up before plugging my phone in. However doing that didn’t help it seemed, since the issue happened again yesterday following those steps.

Braeden

First Name
Braeden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maybe this update today will fix it:
Ford F-150 CarPlay stops working every few weeks IMG_0434
Sponsored