Sponsored

CarPlay randomly gone can’t get it back!

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Usually I plug phone in and CarPlay appears, I always use a cable and never mess with settings. First happened when my wife plugged her phone in, maybe the first time I can’t remember. I eventually got CarPlay back randomly.

This morning no joy. Forgot sync4 and tried that, hard reset iPhone, messed with settings, tried both ports and different cords, nothing.

Anybody have any ideas why car play will not go through?
Sponsored

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Go to phone (where carplay used to be) -> phone lists -> select your phone -> connect to Carplay

does that work?

OP
OP
flynavy

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Go to phone (where carplay used to be) -> phone lists -> select your phone -> connect to Carplay

does that work?
Don’t think I tried this but will when I head out, thanks!

Another weird bug that annoys me is what screen defaults. I used nav once and now the truck always goes to nav, any idea how to make it default to car play or another screen?

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
Don’t think I tried this but will when I head out, thanks!

Another weird bug that annoys me is what screen defaults. I used nav once and now the truck always goes to nav, any idea how to make it default to car play or another screen?
Sounds good! I hope it helps, also the steps were from memory so things may be a bit different but it should hopefully work.

Huh, thats a good point, I think when I turn my truck on, it automatically goes to NAV, i never though much about it. Not sure if we can set a default screen.

OP
OP
flynavy

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Sounds good! I hope it helps, also the steps were from memory so things may be a bit different but it should hopefully work.

Huh, thats a good point, I think when I turn my truck on, it automatically goes to NAV, i never though much about it. Not sure if we can set a default screen.
My 2018 would automatically pull CarPlay up when I plugged my phone in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flynavy

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
So I do see that option and click connect it loads a sec then just drops. UGHHHH!!!!!!

Remove and add phone and it asks if I want wireless or USB so I select USB and then hit yes on truck screen and still nothing.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Disable wireless Carplay if you're going to stick to using wired. I did that, and a lot of weird issues went away.

If after doing that, it's still not popping up, replace the USB cable outright. I've found that even slight degradation of the cable can kill Carplay, even if it will still charge the phone.

OP
OP
flynavy

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Disable wireless Carplay if you're going to stick to using wired. I did that, and a lot of weird issues went away.

If after doing that, it's still not popping up, replace the USB cable outright. I've found that even slight degradation of the cable can kill Carplay, even if it will still charge the phone.
Did both, when I plug phone in the phone tab on the screen even glitches real quick like it wants to switch over… ahhhh

OP
OP
flynavy

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Did full sync reset. Pop up on phone to enable car play and truck, spins 2 times then nothing happens.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Did both, when I plug phone in the phone tab on the screen even glitches real quick like it wants to switch over… ahhhh
Do you happen to have more than 1 phone? I would swap phones and see if you see it pop up. If it works on another phone, then I'd start to see if the lightening port itself is bad, or has some debri, etc.

Also, you can perform a hard restart of the Sync4 system by holding down the power button and the "next track" button (looks like >> ) for a few seconds. You should see it turn off and on again. That has also cleared up issues for me. EDIT: nvm, I see you tried that....

Sponsored

smyph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Stuff and thing
Its silly, but try a different cable? I have had cables intermittently drop connections to phones. New cable solved it.

OP
OP
flynavy

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
Do you happen to have more than 1 phone? I would swap phones and see if you see it pop up. If it works on another phone, then I'd start to see if the lightening port itself is bad, or has some debri, etc.

Also, you can perform a hard restart of the Sync4 system by holding down the power button and the "next track" button (looks like >> ) for a few seconds. You should see it turn off and on again. That has also cleared up issues for me. EDIT: nvm, I see you tried that....
Did all this too! This only started when my wife connected her phone for the first time the other day… so I’m trying to figure out what the hell that could mean.

reset sync 4
Reset factory settings
Tried both usb c and USB port with multiple cords

OP
OP
flynavy

flynavy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 XLT
Occupation
Pilot
No real explanation why this caused issues but I fixed it. I have a VPN app on my phone.. noticed lately that even inside I don’t get the WiFi symbol only LTE and didn’t think much of it. Tried to connect to VPN since it wasn’t and it wasn’t allowing me. It was logged out so I logged back in and WiFi symbol is back, now car play works. Why any of this is related is beyond me.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No real explanation why this caused issues but I fixed it. I have a VPN app on my phone.. noticed lately that even inside I don’t get the WiFi symbol only LTE and didn’t think much of it. Tried to connect to VPN since it wasn’t and it wasn’t allowing me. It was logged out so I logged back in and WiFi symbol is back, now car play works. Why any of this is related is beyond me.
I bet you that would make for an interesting bug report to both Apple and Ford if they cared enough to dig in.

Granch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 platinum
Remove from iOS CarPlay and Bluetooth and sync and plug in and should work again, wireless seamed to cause this multiple times so I just do wired now.
Sponsored