• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

CarPlay Just Got BIGGER on Ford's 15" Screens

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
I've always loved CarPlay and until last week, it pretty much looked the same on my Mustang Mach-E as it did on my old F-150... except it was a rectangle inside the big screen.

Then last week, it got BIGGER. It's more square than it was before, and that extra space makes maps, and just about everything look amazing.

The first thing you'll notice is the menu bar is no longer on the left side, it's on the bottom, just like iPhones, Macs and iPads.

Here's what it looks like.
Ford F-150 Lightning CarPlay Just Got BIGGER on Ford's 15" Screens IMG_0369.PNG

Ford F-150 Lightning CarPlay Just Got BIGGER on Ford's 15" Screens IMG_0383.PNG
Ford F-150 Lightning CarPlay Just Got BIGGER on Ford's 15" Screens IMG_0385.PNG
Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
How come it doesn’t take up the whole screen?

OP
OP
IdeaOfTheDayCom

IdeaOfTheDayCom

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
IdeaOfTheDay.Com
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning XLT SR 312A
Occupation
Software Developer
How come it doesn’t take up the whole screen?
On the 15" screen, CarPlay only used about 1/3rd of the screen. The climate controls, recent apps, top navigation, etc. are always there.

What they did in the last Ford update was shrink the size of the recent Apps, giving a lot more space to the CarPlay area.

Curiously, when I did the screen capture, I noticed the black bars above and below. Those are NOT taking up space on the 15" screen, but it probably means Apple's specs support an even bigger portrait mode. I guess every time Ford frees up space, Apple can take advantage of it.

It's hard to see from the photos, but every CarPlay App looks better with the extra space, and moving the Nav to the bottom also makes whatever's on top wider and cleaner.
Sponsored