carplay choppy

maxinike

First Name
Stephane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 powerboost, ranger 2020 and lawn tractor
Hi, im curious to know if someone else is experiencing bad connectivity and audio choppy with wireless carplay on sync 4.
mine seem work good for a few minutes then start cut audio randomly( choppy).
all updates done iphone to latest version. rebooted everything. doing that since truck new.
thanks for your input
Sponsored

Agashi25

First Name
Arban
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang GT PP CO
I haven’t experienced that. What I do experience is sometimes everything is connected and working fine but audio won’t play sound from Spotify. If i switch over to Apple Music it’s perfectly fine. I have to disconnect and reconnect CarPlay for Spotify to work again. Not sure where the fault lies..

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
Hi, im curious to know if someone else is experiencing bad connectivity and audio choppy with wireless carplay on sync 4.
mine seem work good for a few minutes then start cut audio randomly( choppy).
all updates done iphone to latest version. rebooted everything. doing that since truck new.
thanks for your input
I experienced this yesterday. I use Apple Music and the songs were choppy after maybe 15 minutes of driving. I turned off the music cause it was so bad... seemed to work later on the same drive though

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
Hi... we have discovered (our thinking actually) that it might be external interference to the signal somehow.

If we put my iphone next to the shifter in the slot it gives choppy music. If we put it into the little cradle in the front space in the console it doesn't........ EXCEPT when we drive along a certain stretch of road not far from our home.

EVERY time we drive along there the music cuts in and out for maybe half a mile then all good.

Same spot, regardless of direction, same thing happens. Haven't figured what could be messing with it but we can reproduce it..... repeatedly.

Reactions: MGM

MadHatter0101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 LARIAT
Occupation
Sys Admin
Hi... we have discovered (our thinking actually) that it might be external interference to the signal somehow.

If we put my iphone next to the shifter in the slot it gives choppy music. If we put it into the little cradle in the front space in the console it doesn't........ EXCEPT when we drive along a certain stretch of road not far from our home.

EVERY time we drive along there the music cuts in and out for maybe half a mile then all good.

Same spot, regardless of direction, same thing happens. Haven't figured what could be messing with it but we can reproduce it..... repeatedly.
I use wireless apple CarPlay every day. No issues for the most part. I just got my truck 3 weeks ago. The other day I had a doctors appointment and had to drive about 45 minutes each way. As I was approaching a Power substation, it dropped completely. It froze and this showed the phone disconnected. As soon as I got about 1/4 of a mile away it reconnected fine. Then on my way home I was watching and it did it again.

Apple car play uses WiFi to basically connect. Lots of things can cause interference.

Sponsored

UNCGrad

First Name
Melissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 AMB Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 6.5 bed
I use android auto with Napster and I have experienced it. Mine is still so new, I've only used it once and it occurred after about an hour or so.

jamill

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat & 2020 GMC Acadia SLT
Occupation
Pipeline Operator
Did anyone ever figure a fix for this issue out?

Mines been doing it, but I've figured out when.

When I start backing in to my garage, my phone connects to my home wifi and the music gets all choppy. My guess would be interference, but that's kind of a bigger issue for some. Mine only does it when I'm having on to my garage, and while it's annoying, not that huge of a deal.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I have hit the "choppy audio" issue, I use Android Auto with the latest Samsung Galaxy. I have found the simplest workaround for me is to take my phone and disable wifi. Android Auto will force wifi back on and within about 5 seconds it picks right up where it left off. (no data on whether this works with Carplay)

Other options are 1) to reboot sync4 by holding the power+next track buttons. This takes much longer though. Or 2) pull over and turn the truck off and open the door to fully power cycle sync4. I've also had some luck changing sources but I remember this didn't always work so I prefer the wifi trick.

So I just use the "turn wifi off" trick. I have noticed that it happens randomly occasionally, but not often. Most of the time it occurs is when I reverse and the backup cameras are on. I believe they use wireless communication with the head unit and it isn't powerful enough to keep up with simultaneous video and audio/apps over wifi.

Jerry Can

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 KR Powerboost, 2-tone Rapid Red, 157”
Occupation
Fuel Container
I sometimes get the choppy audio, as well as CarPlay frequently just crashing. I have an iPhone 7 and wonder if it’s just not powerful enough to run apps and CarPlay, or if it’s a CarPlay or Ford issue.

MGM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 3.0
Also had CarPlay disconnect in very certain areas. Entering my subdivision and a road in the same spot about a mile away. Both have large power lines by them, not sure if that is causing it but something is def interfering with the signal.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I sometimes get the choppy audio, as well as CarPlay frequently just crashing. I have an iPhone 7 and wonder if it’s just not powerful enough to run apps and CarPlay, or if it’s a CarPlay or Ford issue.
I think it is a Sync4 head unit bandwidth issue. It has bluetooth, wifi, and cellular radios and I don't know how well done the programming is on antenna/radio co-existence. For sure, the wifi itself can't seem to keep up with my reverse cameras are on and I'm streaming audio. But the other times when it gets choppy (loses synch and can't recover) I'm wondering if the head unit just was trying to do too many things (like a background cellular scan or something).

Also had CarPlay disconnect in very certain areas. Entering my subdivision and a road in the same spot about a mile away. Both have large power lines by them, not sure if that is causing it but something is def interfering with the signal.
Well you'd hope that power lines at 60Hz wouldn't interfere with 2.4GHz or 5GHz frequency bands but it has been known to happen! That's a really interesting clue if it is repeatable.

LixVjj

First Name
Nigel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Desk job
Happened to me, It worked perfectly for a week then just quit. I restarted my phone and it was fine for a few days, did it again, restart, works again. Only had it 2 weeks but I am preparing to restart my phone every week or less.

kmayer

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 F250
Occupation
Web Design Agency
Is it possible to use wired car play Via USB?

billybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A, 2012 Focus SEL
Occupation
EE
I have had this same thing and it's really irritating. If I plug in majority of the time it is still using wireless CarPlay and same dropouts. The best chance of this being fixed is if ford can use CarPlay over 5Ghz instead of the 2.4 as this is definitely an interference issues, I'm not sure if ford wifi chip even supports 5ghz. The dropouts happen noticeably more in cities vs rural.

jamill

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat & 2020 GMC Acadia SLT
Occupation
Pipeline Operator
I have hit the "choppy audio" issue, I use Android Auto with the latest Samsung Galaxy. I have found the simplest workaround for me is to take my phone and disable wifi. Android Auto will force wifi back on and within about 5 seconds it picks right up where it left off. (no data on whether this works with Carplay)

Other options are 1) to reboot sync4 by holding the power+next track buttons. This takes much longer though. Or 2) pull over and turn the truck off and open the door to fully power cycle sync4. I've also had some luck changing sources but I remember this didn't always work so I prefer the wifi trick.

So I just use the "turn wifi off" trick. I have noticed that it happens randomly occasionally, but not often. Most of the time it occurs is when I reverse and the backup cameras are on. I believe they use wireless communication with the head unit and it isn't powerful enough to keep up with simultaneous video and audio/apps over wifi.
This wifi toggle fix has worked for me, but since it usually only happens when I back in to my garage, I just turn the radio off. Lol. Luckily I'm in a smaller city so it doesn't do it while I'm driving around. This seems like it should be an easy fix for Ford, but who really knows.
Sponsored