HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
Hi All

Took my truck on a 16 hour round trip interstate a few days ago. All went well but I've noticed either a bug or I've got something set up/doing it wrong with Apple Carplay.

I went to a gas station and had my phone plugged in via USB cable. Being away from the truck and with it shut down I locked it with my phone still plugged in. No worries I thought.

The first time once I unlocked and started it up the Spotify music would now only play through my phone and not the truck. No manner of shutting down my phone, disconnecting, checking everything would fix it. Carplay was showing on the screen but playing on my phone only. Eventually after multiple restarts of my iphone I got it to work normally.

Thinking it was just my iphone playing up, on the way back I forgot to disconnect and again locked and unlocked the truck with it still connected via USB. This time on start up I got the bright blue screen of de@th only where the carplay section was (side screen was still white) and every tab/page on the left side had the bright blue background. I could not make out writing as it was almost the same colour of the blue background on eg AM/FM/Sirius radio buttons

I turned the screen on and off to no avail, and nothing of restarting or reconnecting the USB/turning off wifi would change it. I was however able to play Spotify music through the truck sound system by using the iphone screen.

The only thing that fixed it (at the next stop) was disconnecting the phone and LOCKING/UNLOCKING the truck..... then everything was normal again..... a bug or am I causing something?

Thanks
Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Sync 4 is a Microsoft product. That is expected from time to time.

BCP28

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 2023 Ford Mach-E4x
Occupation
Engineer
Sync 4 is a Microsoft product. That is expected from time to time.
Sync 4 is an internally developed product based on the QNX operating system. Ford hasn't had a Microsoft product in their vehicles since ~2015.

My 2019 Ranger is weird with both CarPlay and Android Auto if I leave the phone connected thru a key cycle. Not sure who exactly is to blame, Ford or the cell phones, but disconnecting when I leave the vehicle seems to be the only reliable way to keep it working, at least for me ?‍♂

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
Sync 4 is an internally developed product based on the QNX operating system. Ford hasn't had a Microsoft product in their vehicles since ~2015.

My 2019 Ranger is weird with both CarPlay and Android Auto if I leave the phone connected thru a key cycle. Not sure who exactly is to blame, Ford or the cell phones, but disconnecting when I leave the vehicle seems to be the only reliable way to keep it working, at least for me ?‍♂
Yep, last Microsoft version of sync was myFord Touch. I had it in my ‘13 platinum. It was slow as hell. Sync 4 (with my limited time with it) is light years ahead of that old MFT system.

flatag

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT FX4
I had the same thing happen with my iPhone. Starting the truck while the phone was unplugged caused everything to work normal again.

Sponsored

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
CarPlay sucks moose balls!! Learn to accept it and move on. Lol, I'm kidding of course. About the accepting it and moving on part.
Mine will always disconnect in the same two areas of my commute to and from work. This leads me to believe it has something to do with outside forces and not just a software issue. I will also have intermittent times where the CarPlay button does absolutely nothing when being pressed. Once the truck is shutdown it seems to reset itself and work again.
I love this truck but despise the radio....

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
There was a FSA for this. You have to take it in and get the ROM flashed. Supposedly, if you play something with a title of a certain characther(s) string, it causes your screen to act strange and unresponsive.

billybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A, 2012 Focus SEL
Occupation
EE
In my normal 1 hour commute Carplay disconnects and reconnects about 3-4 times. The music stops, CarPlay disappears from menu for about 20-30 seconds then comes back. This really is annoying from a music perspective. Anyone else seeing this?
Sponsored