First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
That's really neat. I've become really dependent on Waze (I love that it throws police and accident information up).. does Apple Maps do this?

OP
OP
sonofzell

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
I've become really dependent on Waze (I love that it throws police and accident information up).. does Apple Maps do this?
Technically, yes... They added user-reporting capabilities a few versions back; it's a very simplistic "Speed Check", "Accident", or "Hazard" option.

In actuality, no... I don't know if it's due to fewer users, lack of knowledge of the feature, or some general software characteristic, but you simply don't see user-reported speed checks when using apple maps (I think I've only seen one or two since the feature was added). Wrecks/hazards appear more often, but if you're comparing it to Waze's user reports it doesn't even come close!

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
Ahhh.... so, not to dampen anyone's expectations here, but it was just brought to my attention that the improved interface is actually not related to the recent iOS update. Apparently, Apple just released expanded coverage of its "Detailed City Experience" maps, which now includes the Philly metro area.

It seems it was just a coincidence that I had upgraded to 15.2.1 at the same time the new maps were released.

lol im glad i read this before i posted. I was kinda pissed my maps didnt look like yours today when i got in my vehicle.

OP
OP
sonofzell

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was kinda pissed my maps didnt look like yours today when i got in my vehicle.
Yeah, I didn't realize this was a regional feature, and now I feel like I'm taunting people with this post. I assure you that was not my intent! ?

Apple claims they intend to release more areas in the near future, but it seems the maps are/will be limited to major metro areas...

With the launch of iOS 15 in September, Apple introduced an updated Apple Maps experience with 3D maps that feature additional detail and custom-designed landmarks in select cities.

At launch, the updated Maps app was limited to major cities like Los Angeles, New York City, London, and San Francisco, but Apple has been working to expand it to additional areas. Back in November, Apple brought the 3D Maps experience to Washington, D.C. and San Diego.

As of now, the detailed city experience for ‌Apple Maps‌ can be accessed in London, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, Washington D.C., and the San Francisco Bay Area.
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/12/20/apple-city-maps-update-philadelphia/

Sponsored

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I’m also an iPhone guy and I use seven different types of navigation via Apple CarPlay.

I do like the improvements that Apple has made to it’s navigation and mapping platform and I use it often but, whenever it leads me in the wrong direction or when it tells me that I’ve reached my destination even though I’m still several miles from my destination, out of frustration, I’ll stop using it for a couple of weeks and resort to another navigation service.

Apple Maps are getting closer to Google maps but they’re not there yet.

GolfR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KR PB
Technically, yes... They added user-reporting capabilities a few versions back; it's a very simplistic "Speed Check", "Accident", or "Hazard" option.

In actuality, no... I don't know if it's due to fewer users, lack of knowledge of the feature, or some general software characteristic, but you simply don't see user-reported speed checks when using apple maps (I think I've only seen one or two since the feature was added). Wrecks/hazards appear more often, but if you're comparing it to Waze's user reports it doesn't even come close!
I tilt more toward a stronger statement of just plain NO. With the in dash apple maps experience and some recent bugs with Waze and carplay, I switch to almost excusively using apple maps. Damned if it wasn't two days later that I got a camera speed trap ticket. I've now switched back to Waze. Apple maps doesn't successfully report speed traps, speed cameras, stoplight cameras or anything.

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport

Sponsored

BHunted1

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford-150 Platinum , 22 Edge, 23 Explorer ST
Occupation
Retired
Got IOS 15.3 last night. Will check them out later.....

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I've basically switched to using Apple Maps exclusively for navigation and have for a few years. Mostly started out because I generally have just been migrating away from Google/Facebook services due to their privacy policies, but I have grown to actual prefer it for most things.

I work in real estate and regularly need to do market research and I still use Google Maps for that (just much better as a web version especially for doing street view neighborhood drives), but for navigation almost exclusively use Apple Maps, especially with the new update with the in dash driving directions.

I was using the Ford nav system to get the upcoming turns (I don't hate it as much as most people) but with Apple Maps integration no reason not to just use that now (other than that there is a bug in mine where when in dash screen changes to show I'm nearing a turn it says 0.0 miles until it gets within a few hundred feet).

I do very occasionally use Waze, mostly if I'm on a drive where I anticipate the types of issues it is good at identifying (mostly if I am driving I-70 from Denver to the mountains and expect weird accident reroutes), but otherwise mostly stick to Apple Maps because I prefer Apple's privacy policies and I actually just think it already looked better than Google Maps. Looks like whenever this new version rolls out in Denver that lead will be extended even further!

OP
OP
sonofzell

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, for a guy that, up until a few years ago swore I'd never get sucked into the "Apple universe", I'm now in it up to my eyeballs! I'm definitely not one of those "if it's not apple it must suck" people, but I've definitely fallen prey to dependency on the integration between their products. And to that end, I can't deny that it's a really fluent experience...
  • Buddy invites me to go see a show... "sure, text me the date and venue"
  • I tap the date, show is added to my calendar
  • next time I'm on MacBook I drag the calendar event to Apple maps. The address is found and automatically added to the calendar entry
  • night of show, hop in my truck and "suggested" directions to my next calendar event are waiting for me on my dashboard - tap "Go" and I'm off.
One of these days I plan on taking a deep dive with the Siri Shortcuts. Looks like there's a lot of automation potential there; for example, I could automate that, when I've selected my son's school as my destination, Siri will send a text that "I'm on my way" and optionally provide my e.t.a. and actual location. You can even dive deeper with conditional variables like "only on weekdays, between times X and Y", etc.

I'm just not sure I'm ready for that rabbit hole just yet...
Sponsored