Sponsored

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
Since I feel like I've not contributed anything other than complaints and frustration in quite some time, I thought I'd just take a moment to appreciate the updated visuals of the Apple maps navigation. I just got my truck back from service yesterday, so it was my first chance to use CarPlay since updating to iOS 15.2.1.

I don't recall seeing any mention of the maps app in the release note, but the increased level of detail and smoothness of animation were immediately obvious. Looks beautiful IMHO...

Ford F-150 CarPlay Apple Maps updated visuals IMG_6838.PNG

Ford F-150 CarPlay Apple Maps updated visuals IMG_6842.PNG

Ford F-150 CarPlay Apple Maps updated visuals IMG_6848.PNG

Even that giant "dirt boob" at the mid-county exchange is remarkably accurate LOL!
Sponsored

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Apple Maps has made a lot of progress as far as software is concerned in the last 2 years. I feel that in some ways it's starting to overtake Google Maps. It certainly helps that it integrates now with my truck in ways that Google Maps does not.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Cool. I'll have my wife give Apple Maps a chance on our next journey.

Last edited:

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I want to use Apple Maps so bad, because the UI and integration is so good, but I’m so used to Google Maps now…hard for me to trust using Apple lol. Might have to try it next trip where I already pretty much know the way…

OP
OP
sonofzell

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Apple Maps has made a lot of progress as far as software is concerned in the last 2 years. I feel that in some ways it's starting to overtake Google Maps.
I want to use Apple Maps so bad, because the UI and integration is so good, but I’m so used to Google Maps now…hard for me to trust using Apple lol.
I've been using Apple maps pretty much exclusively for a few years now, but I too was very reluctant at first (and with good reason - it was a hot mess when it first rolled out). I had been using Waze since beta, so I actually felt some strange sense of loyalty to it. I still have no major gripes with it, but for me it was the Siri integration that "wooed" me to Apple. As far as I know, Apple maps is the only nav option that will allow me to invoke directions to ANY contact in my phone for which I have entered an address - that's a huge benefit for me.

FWIW, if I'm "searching" for directions (not any contacts or businesses in my contacts), Google Maps is still light years ahead. Apple recently routed me to a Target store in Spokane, WA....

I live outside of Philadelphia, PA ?‍♂

Sponsored

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
My experience in the past with Apple Map is that usually took me the longer route (compare to google), maps not up to date, and traffic alert sucked!

with that said… maybe I should give it a try (while having google on my wife’s phone for peace of mind LOL)

OP
OP
sonofzell

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My experience in the past with Apple Map is that usually took me the longer route (compare to google), maps not up to date, and traffic alert sucked!

with that said… maybe I should give it a try (while having google on my wife’s phone for peace of mind LOL)
For sure, it's definitely a very subjective preference. My wife still insists on her Waze, and it works perfectly for her! I admit that (for no particular reason) I've never really given Google a fair shake as my primary nav app, but on the occasions I have it definitely felt lacking in visuals.

I still do love Waze, I just don't think it offers the CarPlay experience of other apps. Once I'm driving it's solid, but the search and voice commands just don't seem as fluent via carplay as Apple.

In terms of reliability, I have to say Apple has 100% gained my confidence. I honestly can't say I've had any MAJOR head-scratchers in terms of routing or ETA. One thing I will say is that it's much more stubborn than Waze! If I deviate from the planned route for any reason, Waze is much more fluent in adapting/re-routing to my actual driving than Apple (which tends to "argue" with me for several maneuvers before submitting to my chosen route).

I'm old enough to remember having a glove box stuffed full of marked up fold-out maps, so ultimately, I feel like there's no real complaints regardless of what I choose!

That being said, I do find the native Sync navigation to be a complete mystery in terms of routing. I swear it would route me around the block 5x to get to my neighbors house!

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've been using Apple maps pretty much exclusively for a few years now, but I too was very reluctant at first (and with good reason - it was a hot mess when it first rolled out). I had been using Waze since beta, so I actually felt some strange sense of loyalty to it. I still have no major gripes with it, but for me it was the Siri integration that "wooed" me to Apple. As far as I know, Apple maps is the only nav option that will allow me to invoke directions to ANY contact in my phone for which I have entered an address - that's a huge benefit for me.

FWIW, if I'm "searching" for directions (not any contacts or businesses in my contacts), Google Maps is still light years ahead. Apple recently routed me to a Target store in Spokane, WA....

I live outside of Philadelphia, PA ?‍♂
LOL I've had that happen. I've had Apple Maps try to route me through a one way street...where I was going the wrong way...

That being said, the last 5 or so months I haven't had that same experience. Google Maps benefits from the enormous amounts of detailed mapping data that Google gobbles up from its user base. Apple works with much less raw data, and also with less detailed data due to their own privacy-leaning policies. It's never going to be as good as Google Maps when it comes to the most optimal, up to date routes on literally every road on Earth.

I think Apple knows this, and they focus on larger cities and towns. Google Maps is definitely my go to when I'm out in the sticks.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That being said, I do find the native Sync navigation to be a complete mystery in terms of routing. I swear it would route me around the block 5x to get to my neighbors house!
Sync nav is unusable to me. It doesn't even know the name of the street I live on.

JediNut

First Name
Emmett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Ford F-150 Lariat PowerBoost
Occupation
Old Time Geek
I'm old enough to remember having a glove box stuffed full of marked up fold-out maps, so ultimately, I feel like there's no real complaints regardless of what I choose!
I was just telling my kids the other day about driving across the country in 1989 using my Triptiks from AAA. They were amazed when I described them and asked "How did you find a Chik-fil-A?"

Ford F-150 CarPlay Apple Maps updated visuals 1643134073705

Yes... today's technology still boggles my mind sometimes.
BTW... AAA still has Triptiks... it's an app now. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
sonofzell

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was just telling my kids the other day about driving across the country in 1989 using my Triptiks from AAA. They were amazed when I described them and asked "How did you find a Chik-fil-A?"
Ah yes!

I'll never forget getting lost somewhere outside of Oswego NY many years ago. My buddy told me to "grab the map" from his glove box...

it was a map of the entire continental USA!

<<GenX Facepalm>>

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When I was 16 and got my license, Mapquest had just came out. All that time my dad took to teach me how to navigate via a road map, compass, and highlighter was immediately discarded by me.

Those skills will need a significant revamp of those GPS satellites ever disappear one day...

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Apple Maps has made a lot of progress as far as software is concerned in the last 2 years. I feel that in some ways it's starting to overtake Google Maps. It certainly helps that it integrates now with my truck in ways that Google Maps does not.
I find Apple Maps does better with showing me what lane to be in to take a certain exit, in city driving, it shows much more detail - buildings in 3D, clumps of trees etc, that make it much easier for me to navigate unfamiliar city streets.

The only problem with Apple Maps that I have is that it's location/business search isn't as good and I don't know a way to download maps for offline use.

That said, I mostly use Apple Maps instead of Google Maps now.

OP
OP
sonofzell

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ahhh.... so, not to dampen anyone's expectations here, but it was just brought to my attention that the improved interface is actually not related to the recent iOS update. Apparently, Apple just released expanded coverage of its "Detailed City Experience" maps, which now includes the Philly metro area.

It seems it was just a coincidence that I had upgraded to 15.2.1 at the same time the new maps were released.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
Apple maps with car play is fine for cross country trips. It seems to be a little slow for use with complex interchanges interstates with congestion. Multilane streets and highways around Cary NC were a problem.
Sponsored