First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I've used a cargo bag like this on the roof of my previous SUV but now that I have a truck I'd like to use it on top of my trifold tonneau cover for extra dry storage when taking family trips to the beach where we bring along a lot of things. I don't see any reason that it won't work but I am concerned about the tie down straps rubbing against the side of the bed when driving and damaging the paint. I guess I'd just hook them under the fenders but I haven't gone under to see what other options there are. Has anyone done something like this and have some tips?

I'll be carrying a bike rack on the hitch so can't use a hitch mounted cargo rack.

Ford F-150 Cargo bag on top of tonneau cover??? Capture.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
I would be very concerned with the straps damaging your paint. The paint doesnt seem to be all that durable to begin with.

OP
OP
Littlefield82

Littlefield82

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502a PB FX4 5.5'
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Pics of the standard BullRings tie downs front and rear. The fronts do not sit flush like the rears and I added some plastic spacers underneath to get it as best I could. I don't think you can trim the raised part of the bed b/c there is a piece running underneath it that gets in the way. I thought it was pretty ugly at first but it doesn't bother me any more. This is on a short bed. The stake pockets on the long bed are not hidden so it will sit flush in the front just like it does on the rear. I reached out to BullRing and they didn't even know about this issue so they didn't have any solutions to make it sit flush. I'm sure with more time and effort I could devise a way to make the fronts sit flush but I didn't want to start cutting more of the bedrail and screw something up. I just used a drill to get the hole started and then cut the pocket with a Dremel on low speed so it didn't melt the plastic. A box knife worked equally well.

Ford F-150 Cargo bag on top of tonneau cover??? BR1

Ford F-150 Cargo bag on top of tonneau cover??? BR2

Ford F-150 Cargo bag on top of tonneau cover??? BR3

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
...I'm sure with more time and effort I could devise a way to make the fronts sit flush but I didn't want to start cutting more of the bedrail and screw something up.
I'm sure that you could do it with a router and a rabbeting bit set to the correct offset (I don't know what offsets, but one could measure the back). This would cut the hole open bigger like in the back.

I know that ford has a kit with a trim bit to cut it out, but that would only make it the same size as the hole in the bed and you'd still have that problem.

It's too bad that Ford decided to cover them up. I can't think of why they would. I just assumed on my '17 that they weren't there. Now I'm sure if I had researched I would have found they are there.

In the end though, I think what you've done will work for the use case in your original post as long as your tonneau cover can hold the weight of the thing on top. I know my retrax can hold like 500lbs, but not sure about your trifold.

130 Ghost_Riders

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB
Like frank said, make sure your cover can hold the weight of what you want to put on it and don’t forget to account for the force of the straps pulling it down. A smaller load strapped down too tight could easily put more that the max load of some covers, and a lot of covers are designed to hold the load spread out like snow covering it so a 500 lbs load rating could easily be just 10 psi spread out
Sponsored