Carfax, Insurance, and DashCams

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
This thread is going to have a bit of a mashup of stories and information. Hoping for some advice and previous experience sharing.

Let’s start 3 weeks ago. My wife takes her Tesla Model X to get a pedicure. While inside someone does a hit and run on her vehicle. Not a huge dent in the passenger side front bumper, but not small either. Would definitely max the deductible if I claim it. Anyway, sentry mode was active, the catch, since her car has 2.0 hardware and not the 2.5 required for recording, there’s no recording. Of course no cameras on the parking lot and the human trash driving it just took off.

This got me thinking about insurance companies offering discounts for vehicles with active theft/crash recording systems. This would seem like a very lucrative money saver for them, but it appears insurance companies aren’t interested in saving people money (looking at you and your multi million dollar super bowl ads State Farm).

Fast forward to yesterday. I’ve been trying to sell my 2015 F-150. I have an offer in hand from CarMax that isn’t awful, but I know I’ll get more selling private, so I’ll give that a go. Usually I list for 10-15% more than Carmax and accept an offer in between, usually sold before the Carmax offer even expires. Well yesterday I’m trying to get a Carvana quote and it keeps say “1 accident”, despite me selecting “no accidents” multiple times. This is when the discovery was made. CarFax has an accident listed “At Auction: 01/11/2016”

Which is crazy, because the vehicle has had 1 owner (me) since 08/04/2015, so how the hell do they have an accident listed “At Auction” when the truck has never even been to an auction…

I’ve created a “Dispute” with them and been given a reference number and told a “Resolution Manager” would reach out to me. They conveniently don’t have a phone number to call. I’ve read varying reports about how long that can take to fix and was wondering if anyone else has had experience with this? This also got me pondering something else, has my insurance been charging me like the truck/myself have been in an accident since then?

Wanting to protect my 22, has anyone had the Ford dash cam installed and would they recommend?
Sponsored

ColoradoHunter

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Carfax is terrible! I had minor hail damage on my 2015 platty. All but 1 dent was repaired by dentless repair. There was one dent that cracked the paint. That dent just happened to be right at the edge of the moonroof. It required removing the moon roof, repair and repainting the roof. A lot of work and cost for one dent. Carfax listed it as a major accident on the roof with no details. My first thought if I saw that would be the truck was in rollover accident. Fortunately the dealer was understanding when I took it in for trade-in and didn't ding me for it on value.

Ed21

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Xlt SCREW
Occupation
Retired
Insurance company’s love the no fault deal when both parties pay their deductible and each parties rates go up. Win win. My wife just had a guy hit her exiting a parking lot. She was in the right lane turning right. He was left of her turning left. He decided traffic was to heavy to turn left so he went right and drove across the front corner of her vehicle. Told the cop she was in a hurry and drove into him. Nice try, she had a witness. His insurance co. payed all plus a rental for a week. Now I have a dash cam.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I installed a Thinkware F200 Pro system in my truck I got from Canadian Tire. Has front and rear cameras, parking monitoring, impact sensing and GPS. I looked at getting a Ford unit and if I remember correctly, it is a Thinkware unit. Easy to supply power to it from the passenger's side lower fuse panel. Very happy with it.

OP
OP
JohnMcClane

JohnMcClane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 150
I installed a Thinkware F200 Pro system in my truck I got from Canadian Tire. Has front and rear cameras, parking monitoring, impact sensing and GPS. I looked at getting a Ford unit and if I remember correctly, it is a Thinkware unit. Easy to supply power to it from the passenger's side lower fuse panel. Very happy with it.
I like where you’re going with this, I was looking at this one, I should be able to cover it with solely FordPass points.

https://accessories.ford.com/products/dashcam-140-dash-camera

Sadly, the bundle with the rear cam is more than 3 times the cost, which seems excessive for a second channel…

Sponsored

s.v.t.

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Building..
Couple things here.
1. Sorry about the damage to your wife's Tesla. That's a bummer.
2. Carfax is a bunch of B.S. Any more they're just a cog in the machine of the racket that is the used car sales market. While it's not an entirely worthless service, they obviously do not get all the data pertaining to a vehicle's history, nor do they get correct data (your scenario).
3. This site was recommended by another forum member: https://www.thedashcamstore.com, and I am considering purchasing a front and rear setup from them. Seems pricey, but I want something that has hardware based storage, and can capture data 24/7 regardless of vehicle being turned on and so forth..

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
System Protection Technician
Highly recommend a dash cam. I have them in every vehicle I've owned the past 6 years. I've had the cheap $30 with a single camera, don't go that cheap because at that point in time batteries were still used and it expanded over time. Now they use capacitors. I have the ones that go over your rear view mirror with dual cameras, mainly on my company work van. It's great because I keep the rear camera view up on the screen and it nearly shows all blind spots. I've had the two cameras built into one for my mustang, had rear louvers and didn't want a rear view mounted to went with it. They're mainly used by taxi/Uber drivers.

I'd really love to get a 4 camera system but there isn't many good ones available. Like the Tesla, get every angle so you're 360 covered.

Definitely recommend finding one that has an app and uses wifi to connect. You can easily pull the footage off rather than pull out the SD card and plug into a computer than transfer it over. Also check it every so often. Every electronic fails eventually, terrible timing to think you have evidence to support yourself and then realize the camera failed.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2 Order: 22 Lariat 500A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow/+
Quick question for this group. In AZ, it’s common practice to slap up a sunshade on the front window when parking anywhere the sun may be involved from March to November. Now IF the temp protection on some cameras even allows them to operate when the inside temperature exceeds 110 F, what is the use of a camera if the sunshade is up? I’d hate to pay all the money for a dashcam with parking surveillance if the expensive sunshade is going to block a radar or camera.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I use a sun shade, installed from inside the the cab when I park outside, and the camera is not covered by the shade. The camera will still function as needed.
Sponsored