First Name
Bocephus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A 3.3L
Occupation
Entertainer
Let me start by saying I recently noticed truck would auto hold at stops. I did not activate auto hold, in fact didn't even know I had it. Did Ford do an OTA update which would have activated or enabled auto hold?

Anyway, the attendant guided me into the wash, I put the vehicle in neutral as always (I have been through this wash many times), and when the trolly started to pull the vehicle, the brakes did not release and vehicle shifted into park. Finally got the auto hold turned of and tried again; truck still would not move. That's when I discovered the emergency brake had engaged itself. What a mess.

Going to leave the auto hold off permanently as I don't want to deal with this again. Would like to know if others have experienced the auto hold featured enabled on its own.
Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Let me start by saying I recently noticed truck would auto hold at stops. I did not activate auto hold, in fact didn't even know I had it. Did Ford do an OTA update which would have activated or enabled auto hold?

Anyway, the attendant guided me into the wash, I put the vehicle in neutral as always (I have been through this wash many times), and when the trolly started to pull the vehicle, the brakes did not release and vehicle shifted into park. Finally got the auto hold turned of and tried again; truck still would not move. That's when I discovered the emergency brake had engaged itself. What a mess.

Going to leave the auto hold off permanently as I don't want to deal with this again. Would like to know if others have experienced the auto hold featured enabled on its own.
It remembers your last setting. I could see you never noticing it being on if you never knew it was there. It’s one of my favorite small features though, just have to remember to turn it off before a car wash

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I disabled the “auto hold” ( along with a few other things), but the thing that annoys me is the parking brake just randomly decides to set..
Not sure what causes this, but it usually happens at one of the quickly marts I stop at every morning. Never at home in the driveway, never at work (parked on a grade) never in random parking lots.

Makes me a bit apprehensive about running it thru a car wash, so I have been washing it at home. Six ft ladder now resides just outside the garage so I can clean the roof and the front and rear glass.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I have found the truck will engage the parking brake on its own when I happen to stop, put the truck in park and it rocks a bit.

I disabled the auto hold the day I bought the truck and it's had a couple ota's and the dealership uploaded a system update for a tsb. It has never turned back on by itself.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Something that changes the vehicle dynamics as much as Auto Hold does deserves its own button, not a series of menu screens!

I tried Auto Hold for a while and I like it for the long traffic signals in the city but it is super annoying when I have to park the truck and a little bit dangerous because I often just idle in to position and Auto Hold requires the throttle.

It's just another useful feature made useless by a poor user interface.

I just watched the Frontline documentary about the Boeing 737 Max disasters and it's a similar issue.

If anyone at Ford is reading, stop putting driving features in menus that take forever to navigate through!

Auto Stop/Start gets a button but Auto Hold doesn't?

Sponsored

DUDE

First Name
DUDE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150 COYOTE, 2021 F-150 3.5 ECOBOOST
I have found the truck will engage the parking brake on its own when I happen to stop, put the truck in park and it rocks a bit.

I disabled the auto hold the day I bought the truck and it's had a couple ota's and the dealership uploaded a system update for a tsb. It has never turned back on by itself.
If you press the M button by the shifter after you put your truck into neutral it will disable auto hold and the parking brake allowing your truck to roll

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5
Occupation
Retired Electrician
If you press the M button by the shifter after you put your truck into neutral it will disable auto hold and the parking brake allowing your truck to roll
Thanks for that tidbit... did not know this and have disabled auto hold since day 1.

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Just a situation where it's important to read the truck manual before getting too upset at a feature, as many above said Ford should include a button, and they essentially did. With how infrequently I have to disable Auto Hold (has been 0 times so far since I won't take this truck through a car wash), I am glad I don't have another button clogging up the dash instead of how they did it and reuse an existing button.

nsbreeding

First Name
Neal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat 2021
I tried Auto Hold for a while and I like it for the long traffic signals in the city but it is super annoying when I have to park the truck and a little bit dangerous because I often just idle in to position and Auto Hold requires the throttle.
I saw someone say that if you unlock your seatbelt it disables the autohold. I "think" this works I've only had my truck for 2 weeks, and usually parallel park at work. I'm currently driving my old truck while trying to sell it. My new truck mocks me every time I walk by and it lights up, I feel like it is telling me "don't you want to drive me instead? ha!")

Sponsored

IrishFordGuy

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT PowerBoost
Occupation
Engineer
I disabled the “auto hold” ( along with a few other things), but the thing that annoys me is the parking brake just randomly decides to set..
Not sure what causes this, but it usually happens at one of the quickly marts I stop at every morning. Never at home in the driveway, never at work (parked on a grade) never in random parking lots.

Makes me a bit apprehensive about running it thru a car wash, so I have been washing it at home. Six ft ladder now resides just outside the garage so I can clean the roof and the front and rear glass.
If you are not pressing brake pedal (or pressing lightly) prior to shifting to Park this will cause the Park Brake to apply or if you are opening door and not shifted to park or transmission has not fully engaged park. (safety feature)

SILVERBULLET69

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YOUR GLOVE BOX LIGHT IS ON
Fiasco not avoided. This video is my auto stop experience in a car wash. I have a PSA thread on this. Forgot to update. Bocephus commented on it should be easy to find.
long story short this vid is about 40 secs longer just to big to upload but. Anyways insurance settles 80% my fault 20% car wash fault. To fix front bumper of red vehicle in video.

Attachments

IrishFordGuy

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT PowerBoost
Occupation
Engineer
Just a situation where it's important to read the truck manual before getting too upset at a feature, as many above said Ford should include a button, and they essentially did. With how infrequently I have to disable Auto Hold (has been 0 times so far since I won't take this truck through a car wash), I am glad I don't have another button clogging up the dash instead of how they did it and reuse an existing button.
Yes, the AutoHold hard button was removed to reduce the amount of buttons and moved to menu, if you like it and turn it on and know how to disable prior to entering car wash.
Sponsored