Car Wash - Auto Hold Fiasco

DUDE

First Name
DUDE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150 COYOTE, 2021 F-150 3.5 ECOBOOST
Thanks for that tidbit... did not know this and have disabled auto hold since day 1.
I love the auto hold and have learned how to apply consistent light throttle while I’m backing in to keep it from stopping the truck.
Sponsored

DUDE

First Name
DUDE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F-150 COYOTE, 2021 F-150 3.5 ECOBOOST
The truck will also flash instructions in the instrument cluster after you’ve moved the shifter to neutral on how to disable auto hold so the truck can roll in neutral if you have auto hold enabled and it lets you know it’s active for 30 minutes.

IrishFordGuy

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT PowerBoost
Occupation
Engineer
Something that changes the vehicle dynamics as much as Auto Hold does deserves its own button, not a series of menu screens!

I tried Auto Hold for a while and I like it for the long traffic signals in the city but it is super annoying when I have to park the truck and a little bit dangerous because I often just idle in to position and Auto Hold requires the throttle.

It's just another useful feature made useless by a poor user interface.

I just watched the Frontline documentary about the Boeing 737 Max disasters and it's a similar issue.

If anyone at Ford is reading, stop putting driving features in menus that take forever to navigate through!

Auto Stop/Start gets a button but Auto Hold doesn't?
We are definitely watching and are customers as well. You are correct when hard buttons are moved to the driver menu screen it can become an irritant for those that use them often. However with so many features now available to customers to turn on there is not enough space to package all the physical buttons and would be very difficult for customers to find the correct button only identified with a small symbol to press.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
Just a situation where it's important to read the truck manual before getting too upset at a feature, as many above said Ford should include a button, and they essentially did. With how infrequently I have to disable Auto Hold (has been 0 times so far since I won't take this truck through a car wash), I am glad I don't have another button clogging up the dash instead of how they did it and reuse an existing button.
As someone who avoids automatic car washes to protect my paint I am also yet to have an experience where disabling is necessary.

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
Auto hold is a popular feature on Teslas and other electric vehicles.

Tesla recently added a "car wash" button that automatically sets everything needed to safely take the car through the wash. Something like that would be a great addition to the F150.

As for auto hold itself, I agree with others that while I love it at stop lights and drive thrus I don't love it when parking or at stop signs when I want to creep forward slowly after stopping briefly.

If Ford had included a physical button I might use it more often (turning it off in parking lots and my neighborhood). But as it is I've just turned it off for good.

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Auto hold is a popular feature on Teslas and other electric vehicles.

Tesla recently added a "car wash" button that automatically sets everything needed to safely take the car through the wash. Something like that would be a great addition to the F150.

As for auto hold itself, I agree with others that while I love it at stop lights and drive thrus I don't love it when parking or at stop signs when I want to creep forward slowly after stopping briefly.

If Ford had included a physical button I might use it more often (turning it off in parking lots and my neighborhood). But as it is I've just turned it off for good.
My current car has it. A bit of a learning curve but I’ve learned how to park and inch forward safely with auto hold. Simply tap the throttle to disengage the brakes and quickly pop back over to the brake pedal to ride it in order to creep, etc.
Also, my current car won’t engage unless I stop and then press the brake a little deeper (kind of like auto stop start) does f150 auto hold no matter what when you stop?

Orlando150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford
My current car has it. A bit of a learning curve but I’ve learned how to park and inch forward safely with auto hold. Simply tap the throttle to disengage the brakes and quickly pop back over to the brake pedal to ride it in order to creep, etc.
Also, my current car won’t engage unless I stop and then press the brake a little deeper (kind of like auto stop start) does f150 auto hold no matter what when you stop?
It doesn't seem to matter. Any stop would activate the hold.

I found myself doing rolling stops at stop signs and red lights (in right turn lanes) so I could creep forward beyond the stop lines. I decided I didn't like that and turned the feature off.

I might give it a second chance sometime. But I feel better driving without it now.

Gunnerf150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 powerboost
Occupation
SALES MANAGER
another issues with car wash
I also have a 2021 power boost, and once again went through a car wash ...
system came on saying service engine soon... I opened the hood and there was a sound of loud clicking like a relay problem... When I shut it off would not start again. Says full accessory mode .. As I waited for a tow truck back to dealer ...20 min or so it restarted issues cleared? Seems when it gets sprayed underneath causes the problems. The dealer says it is not... but 3 times washed and not run for a while after causes the failed start. Seems if I leave it running through the wash and drive for a good 30 min all good, right after wash like it needs to dry out?

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I had a problem with a bike rack mounted on the rear hitch that would cause the brakes to be automatically applied again and again. I disabled this "feature" although I can appreciate its value if one has small children around who may go behind the truck. A co-worker's father backed up over his grandchild and killed him.
Sponsored