First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
IT
So I have had my FordPass case open for a little over a week and they have called me a couple times, first one was a bit useless but this call she said they are still working on it and working with Ford Engineering on a solution, as others have said. But she wasn't mentioning others having an issue, her wording was like it was just me. I mentioned I posted this on the message board and a bunch of people are showing up, more it seems every day, with this issue and an early May build date, and at least for ones I know of, out of Dearborn.

She said it isn't just Dearborn, and they think it starts with builds after April 29th, and they have a good number of reports. She says they are working hard to find a solution, but nothing to act on yet.
Very good additional info. Thanks for sharing. Fingers crossed Ford engineers will get this resolved — the dealer network, at least my large Ford dealer here in Central OH — doesn’t know how to tackle this. And if it is a software problem or missing/bad hardware components, it’s best Ford prescribes the fix from the source.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Wslinky

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Lariat (Ordered)
I also opened a case with Ford Pass Support, they escalated it to the engineers. They said it was a known issue and I would hear back in 3-5 days.

OP
OP
Vulnox

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Airborne_Ape from the f150forum came into the thread on this issue and walked me through a ton of troubleshooting steps. He was able to help me get into the diagnostics screen, it shows a cellular connection and that. But under connectivity, TCU SOA is showing disconnected for me. First image below is his, second (blue background) is mine. We verified ASBUILT values in Forscan, he had me put the truck in factory delivery mode which kind of shuts down the APIM modules during transport and I took it back out, it was a lot, but in the end no change.

He said with that status he believes the TCU needs to be replaced, unless Ford comes up with something on firmware or an activation issue on their end or something.

Ford F-150 Can't use Wireless CarPlay, FordPass, or Hotspot 1621903184274

Ford F-150 Can't use Wireless CarPlay, FordPass, or Hotspot 1621903206692

CardsFan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew
I just got a call from FordPass support on the case I opened a couple weeks ago about this. They stated that Engineering does have a fix for it, but that I had to go to the dealership to get it resolved. Luckily I have service scheduled for tomorrow for this exact issue. While they wouldn't give me a lot of details, they did say that it affects any F150 build between April 29th and May 18th. They said that the dealerships should now know about this and what to do to fix it. I will be making sure the dealership knows about it before I drop it off and will update everyone when I get it back. Hopefully this is close to being resolved.

Tominoshkosh

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
IT
I just got a call from FordPass support on the case I opened a couple weeks ago about this. They stated that Engineering does have a fix for it, but that I had to go to the dealership to get it resolved. Luckily I have service scheduled for tomorrow for this exact issue. While they wouldn't give me a lot of details, they did say that it affects any F150 build between April 29th and May 18th. They said that the dealerships should now know about this and what to do to fix it. I will be making sure the dealership knows about it before I drop it off and will update everyone when I get it back. Hopefully this is close to being resolved.
That's a great update. I am still waiting on the case I opened a week ago today. I'll be curious what you learn from your local Ford dealer. Hopefully Ford Engineering provides dealers with specific guidance on how to resolve the issue(s). Otherwise, I fear going there would be a waste of time (all I've heard from my local Ford dealer is "we've never seen this before").

Sponsored

CardsFan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew
I agree. I hope this isn't a waste of time, but gives me some hope based on the call from FordPass support. I did ask multiple times if the dealership knows about this and they said that dealerships / service departments should be aware now of this.

I will keep everyone updated.

OP
OP
Vulnox

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, it's noted in OASIS, my dealership confirmed and said they will give it a shot when I bring it in for the back glass replacement.
"Some 2021 F-150 vehicles built on 29-Apr-2021 and through 18-May-2021 may exhibit FordPass missing the button to activate the vehicle and/or a message stating WiFi hotspot feature not enabled when attempting to access the WiFi hotspot settings in the SYNC4 menu. This may be due to the gateway module (GWM) configuration. To correct the condition, download and run the GWM - Gateway Module A (GWM) Configuration app using the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS)."

Sully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 lariat powerboost fx4
My truck, first week of May build, has been at the dealer with the same issues on this thread for a over a week now, thankfully provided a loaner. Ford has essentially kept the service team on hold for several days to get a response from a tech. The tech was unable to help, and forwarded to engineering. Engineering made them wait a couple days too. Today engineering gave the dealer service a couple tasks and a software update to apply, specifically said not to order parts, and to takes pictures and video if it didn’t work. So hopefully tomorrow it works or they will continue to have to keep the truck in order to keep the service request open. Hmm. Hope it works.

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Thanks for this thread and the solution above. I took delivery today and have exactly this issue on my early May King Ranch build - so will know what to tell the dealer to do when taking it in for service in two weeks. Thanks all.

Jdela010

First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Yeah, it's noted in OASIS, my dealership confirmed and said they will give it a shot when I bring it in for the back glass replacement.
"Some 2021 F-150 vehicles built on 29-Apr-2021 and through 18-May-2021 may exhibit FordPass missing the button to activate the vehicle and/or a message stating WiFi hotspot feature not enabled when attempting to access the WiFi hotspot settings in the SYNC4 menu. This may be due to the gateway module (GWM) configuration. To correct the condition, download and run the GWM - Gateway Module A (GWM) Configuration app using the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS)."
Unfortunately this did not correct the issue on my truck. The service department did say they were able to get it work on another truck they tested on the lot. They were going to order a replacement part (maybe TCU?) for mine to see if that would fix it....

Sponsored

Whoosh

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' PB F150,18&20 Ecoboost Explorer Platinum,
Occupation
Worker of lead
Hi all!

I have done some searching but I seem to have a bit of a unicorn issue. When I picked up my truck last Thursday, I added my phone and went through all the options to add to bluetooth, enable CarPlay, etc, etc. It got to the end and said Wireless App Projection must be Enabled, so I hit Enable. It said "Wireless App Projection is Disabled", then moved on. The phone paired to Bluetooth fine, but no CarPlay. So I went into settings and under Connectivity found Wireless App Projection, but it won't turn on. Tapped the option 20 different ways and a hundred times since getting the truck, won't enable. The dealership took it to service right away and sent me off to lunch while their Sync guy looked at it. He ran every test, reset the APIM, no change. They had another '21 in service next to mine and tried the same steps and it enabled fine. They tried other phones on mine, no change.

I also am unable to add the truck to FordPass, I don't get the "Activate" option. My 2019 was on the lot, so I added its VIN and immediately got the "Activate" option, so my phone/FordPass is fine. My salesman also tried with his phone and didn't get the option. I added the truck to my home Wifi when I got it home, no change.

Lastly, I cannot turn on Wireless Hotspot. It says in the manual, and worked on my '19 although that was Sync 3, that I should be able to enable it then connect to it with my phone, and it will open the portal to set up the data plan. When I tap the Wireless Hotspot selection in Settings, all it says is "Wireless Hotspot is not Enabled on this Vehicle".

So all my issues surround the Hotspot/Modem, so I suspect it's bad. But if anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them. The dealer is coming to get my truck Wednesday and is going to work with Ford engineering/Hotline to go through more testing and hopefully resolution. CarPlay works fine over USB, the truck never gives me any errors. When I go under General Settings, I have a Modem Serial Number. It's a Lariat 502a, the modem and everything is listed on my window sticker (I spoke to a FordPass guide who said my truck doesn't get a modem...).

I tried pulling the negative battery terminal, give it all a real good restart, but it seems with the PowerBoost the Sync system and other parts aren't run by that battery as everything still worked. I pulled three fuses from the interior fuse panel that seems related, but since it didn't reset my headunit (my personal settings were still there), I am guessing it didn't work either. I have done factory resets a few times, removed and added the truck in FordPass, all no change.

Thank you!
I don't have an answer to most of your question but I did get in contact with a young lady at Fordpass Tuesday and she informed me that there is an issue with vehicles built after 4/27 not working with Fordpass yet, (to be clear, my Fordpass works with the four other vehicles that I have on the app) while I was on the phone with her my scheduled virtual walk through call came in and the rep was not aware of the Fordpass not connecting issue so he learned something too! The Fordpass lady said that they were working furiously to get the issue resolved and that she'd keep me informed

CardsFan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew
Well, that's not encouraging. I hope the replacement part / chip helps. Keep us posted. Mine is at the dealership today so I will let everyone know if they were able to fix and anything I can get from them on what they had to do to resolve. Hopefully we will all have this resolved soon.

OP
OP
Vulnox

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There can definitely be more than one cause. The problem should be resolved in mine because the diagnostic shows the TCU is connecting, for those where the TCU is not connecting you may need a TCU replacement. You can see the differences in my post from Monday.

Also be sure your truck falls within the date range of the issue, if your truck is older or newer than that range, it may be a TCU issue.

CardsFan

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew
Just got back from the dealership. What they did fixed the issue. All of the issues discussed here are now resolved. Pretty happy camper now. I didn't get a chance to talk with the service department, but this is what it says on the slip:

"Perform GWM Configuration per SSM 49826"

I hope that helps others. Let us know if you are able to get it resolved.

Baby Beast

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Rannch
Just got back from the dealership. What they did fixed the issue. All of the issues discussed here are now resolved. Pretty happy camper now. I didn't get a chance to talk with the service department, but this is what it says on the slip:

"Perform GWM Configuration per SSM 49826"

I hope that helps others. Let us know if you are able to get it resolved.
Thanks for this very specific and helpful fix. I am experiencing the same exact issues as most everyone else here. Hopefully my local dealer can fit me in tomorrow. Will report back if they're able to fix.
Sponsored