Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A, 3.5L PowerBoost
Hi all!

I have done some searching but I seem to have a bit of a unicorn issue. When I picked up my truck last Thursday, I added my phone and went through all the options to add to bluetooth, enable CarPlay, etc, etc. It got to the end and said Wireless App Projection must be Enabled, so I hit Enable. It said "Wireless App Projection is Disabled", then moved on. The phone paired to Bluetooth fine, but no CarPlay. So I went into settings and under Connectivity found Wireless App Projection, but it won't turn on. Tapped the option 20 different ways and a hundred times since getting the truck, won't enable. The dealership took it to service right away and sent me off to lunch while their Sync guy looked at it. He ran every test, reset the APIM, no change. They had another '21 in service next to mine and tried the same steps and it enabled fine. They tried other phones on mine, no change.

I also am unable to add the truck to FordPass, I don't get the "Activate" option. My 2019 was on the lot, so I added its VIN and immediately got the "Activate" option, so my phone/FordPass is fine. My salesman also tried with his phone and didn't get the option. I added the truck to my home Wifi when I got it home, no change.

Lastly, I cannot turn on Wireless Hotspot. It says in the manual, and worked on my '19 although that was Sync 3, that I should be able to enable it then connect to it with my phone, and it will open the portal to set up the data plan. When I tap the Wireless Hotspot selection in Settings, all it says is "Wireless Hotspot is not Enabled on this Vehicle".

So all my issues surround the Hotspot/Modem, so I suspect it's bad. But if anyone has any other ideas I would love to hear them. The dealer is coming to get my truck Wednesday and is going to work with Ford engineering/Hotline to go through more testing and hopefully resolution. CarPlay works fine over USB, the truck never gives me any errors. When I go under General Settings, I have a Modem Serial Number. It's a Lariat 502a, the modem and everything is listed on my window sticker (I spoke to a FordPass guide who said my truck doesn't get a modem...).

I tried pulling the negative battery terminal, give it all a real good restart, but it seems with the PowerBoost the Sync system and other parts aren't run by that battery as everything still worked. I pulled three fuses from the interior fuse panel that seems related, but since it didn't reset my headunit (my personal settings were still there), I am guessing it didn't work either. I have done factory resets a few times, removed and added the truck in FordPass, all no change.

Thank you!
Sponsored

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Is CarPlay enabled on your phone?
took me awhile to realize that the phone needed to enabled as well.

CarPlay is not Bluetooth, it works on wireless so both the car and the phone need to be on the same page.

I don’t really mess with CarPlay much anymore.
I use Bluetooth for phone and. Music playlist.

OP
OP
Vulnox

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is CarPlay enabled on your phone?
took me awhile to realize that the phone needed to enabled as well.

CarPlay is not Bluetooth, it works on wireless so both the car and the phone need to be on the same page.

I don’t really mess with CarPlay much anymore.
I use Bluetooth for phone and. Music playlist.
Thank you, yeah I noted CarPlay works fine over USB, just can't turn on the wireless app projection feature.

Sully

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 lariat powerboost fx4
Just picked mine up yesterday. Exact same issue. Service scheduled
later this week. Curious to hear if you find a solution.

OP
OP
Vulnox

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just picked mine up yesterday. Exact same issue. Service scheduled
later this week. Curious to hear if you find a solution.
Wow, I couldn't find anyone else reporting this issue in my searching on this forum and f150forum, interesting if you are seeing it also. I will definitely report back if I learn anything from Wednesday's visit.

Sponsored

tewest86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 5.0
Occupation
Engineer
Wireless Carplay works over wifi so make sure wifi is turned on on your phone.

cparuch

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I picked mine up this past Saturday and am experiencing the exact same issues. In addition to what you mentioned, if I check the weather in the Nav tab, I get a "no network connection" error. I have service scheduled next week. Just curious if there was a solution from your service visit. Looking forward to getting this resolved.

OP
OP
Vulnox

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I picked mine up this past Saturday and am experiencing the exact same issues. In addition to what you mentioned, if I check the weather in the Nav tab, I get a "no network connection" error. I have service scheduled next week. Just curious if there was a solution from your service visit. Looking forward to getting this resolved.
So, service had a back and forth with Ford Engineering, they went through additional testing beyond what they did the first time, and still no go on getting any of it working. I need to try the weather like you mentioned, I didn't try that, but I suspect I will get that same message.

Service is ordering me a new module, they don't believe Ford is going to get any further and will most likely request it anyway given the number of charge hours already spent on it.

Another user at F150Forum and I have gone back and forth as his was built the same day as mine and he is having the same issues. His service experience went the same as mine, module on order. He has maybe a 1-2 week wait time on the module, as I have no doubt chip shortage is impact service parts. So if you can put any heat on your service department to get the order started I would, but keep in mind their options are limited without doing initial investigation/diagnosis.

Jdela010

First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lariat Powerboost
I have the exact same issued with my truck. Currently at the Royal Oak dealership getting looked at now, What dealership in Michigan is yours at? Maybe I can have the service tech at RO reach out to your service department to see what they come up with.

Not sure is relevant or not but my truck was produced at the Dearborn plant on 5/1. Maybe a bad batch of modules was put into trucks built around the same time?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Vulnox

Vulnox

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have the exact same issued with my truck. Currently at the Royal Oak dealership getting looked at now, What dealership in Michigan is yours at? Maybe I can have the service tech at RO reach out to your service department to see what they come up with.

Not sure is relevant or not but my truck was produced at the Dearborn plant on 5/1. Maybe a bad batch of modules was put into trucks built around the same time?
Mine was at Bill Brown, service advisor was Mariah. If you need any more info send me a PM and I am happy to help if it helps you get a quicker resolution.

Sponsored

Dan Texas

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Same problem here; mine was built 5/5. I called the Ford pass number earlier in the week, and was told it’s a known issue and they are working on it. Spoke to service yesterday, the guy thought it was a software issue and Ford would issue a fix, but they haven’t tried any diagnostics on the truck yet.

jgrant1701

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F250 Lariat, 2021 F150 Platinum (ordered)
My truck was built 5/1 in Dearborn and I am having the same issue. Fordpass guides escalated it and said it was a known issue that they were trying to resolve. I'm beginning to think it's a modem problem. Please let us know if that resolves the issue.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Sorry you’re having these issues. At least it sounds like your dealer was pretty thorough with it, rather than blowing it off.

My only troubleshoot would be to completely unpair any phones from the truck and forget it on the devices. Then attempt to enable “Wireless App Projection” and see if the truck will allow it, then try and repair everything from scratch. It seems like your dealer tries that as well, and it was a no go.

F150 Voodoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Paint Horse
This is what really worries me about these trucks getting delivered and the ones waiting for parts. I bet you the module you need is missing. Your truck runs and drives safely so it shipped, its missing features but you are not mad because you have your truck.

I am afraid the ones like mine sitting on the lot are going to have a myriad of problems initially because the parts will be installed incorrectly or just plain missing. I am seriously considering not taking delivery of mine.

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat SCrew F-150 PB FX4
Exact same issue. May 3rd, Dearborn build. I'm also told this is a known issue and Ford working on a fix. The good news is I only waited 6 months for my truck to be built and delivered. Now I have the privilege of waiting even longer for it to function as advertised. This first time customer is NOT impressed...
Sponsored